#1 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:31 PM

Been driving a 2001 GTI (AUM) for the past few years,  

Got my mitts on this last month , its a 2001 V6 4 motion, it was originally my dads, he bought it as a bit of project to tinker with but never got around to using it so its been laid up for the past 2+ years.

Purchased it from a trader in Newark, from what I can gather Spirit VW in Leamington were the original supplying dealer, its got a really high spec (the gti in comparison is bare bones apart from climatronic and sunroof) The colour combo is one of my favourite things about the car  LC9Z and grey leather (Recaro) 

the car came with some Oettinger 18" spilt rims and also Hella Colour Magic rear lenses (now misty), it must have been quite the car when it was new,  the wheels were in a pretty poor state and were sold off soon after purchase and were replaced with the 16" Rondells you can see in the pics .

Interior is in great order (ill sort some pics out soon)  apart from the wheel which has lost its colour, looking at the furniture clinic restoration kit or a retrim. It has an Alpine Double Din head unit, wanted to replace this at first as it doesn't work with the multi function wheel however its got a really good hands free system which i find really useful so that's staying for the time being  

I'd heard lots of things about the VR engine but never driven one until last year (3.2 A3) I can definitely see why they have such a following, sound great and lots of torque low down I'd love to try one in a good spec MK2.  

I've got some US spec rear lights to fit which I purchased for the GTI  but never got around to fitting to fit and i'd like to remove the rear hatch spoiler and badges (i think i'm right in saying that they are in the incorrect place currently), sourced a replacement hatch (without spoiler) last week which all being well should be arrviving this week.  

Quite like to improve the chassis been reading up on the tt wishbone mod maybe combined with some updated aftermarket ARB's 

Non plus on the wheels at first but they have grown on me although I'm currently on the lookout for a set of Montreal 2 to refinish in anthracite. 

First purchases; 

Crystal side repeaters, 

Black Badge 

Number plates 

First job was to paint the calipers black, toss up between this and silver, thinking was the black will look good against the (eventual) dark wheels and black bodywork 

Indicators fitted 

Bumper Grilles

Coated these in Wurth plastic dye went on really well have to see how it lasts but so far so good 

Unfortunately one of the headlights wasn't working, after much dismantling we discovered the ballast was duff, this has the early xenon's with the wing mounted ballasts, a replacement was sourced from Lichtek.de for £70 which seemed pretty reasonable.

Whilst the front end was in bits we fitted the black badge and also some cheap ebay led sidelights, wasn't expecting much but they work really well giving a very similar K to the xenons really happy with them just hope they last 

I'll try and keep the thread updated, hopefully this weekend I'll fit the number plates and replace the clutch switch as the cruise control doesn't work currently     

• Adam_Jonezy likes this

#2 rainbird

rainbird

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Plymouth, UK
  • Other Models

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:46 PM

Looks like a fantastic base car to work on, nice one. The little tweaks so far will go a long way to keeping it fresh too.

Now for the important question: What turbo are you going to be fitting?  ;)

#3 TomasLT

TomasLT

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4645 posts
  • northern europe
  • Golf IV Estate S TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:35 AM

Damn it, beat me to it. I see potential turbo since this guy is obviously rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:22 PM

No turbo plans unfortunately, would be great though I've been watching lots of YT videos of turbo VR's since I got it these 2 really stood out 

(this guy is ace) 

#5 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:53 PM

Small updates 

Front plate fitted 

44549656300_3df7363667_c.jpg

Changed the clutch pedal switch so cruise control now works. only took 10 mins really straightforward, set it to 70 and averaged 31mpg (MFA) on the 50 mile run to Blackpool 

Been collecting some parts ready for fitting in the New Year 

45643654094_c49f13f5ac_c.jpg

Replacement tailgate without spoiler, guy was also selling a mint wing for a great price which i'll keep for the future if required, I'll be fitting a black VW badge to match the front and also removing the other badges  

32494639278_32a9189981_c.jpg

46315550192_d8a540abdb_c.jpg

Montreal 2's, taking these to the wheel refurbishers for a colour change to anthracite and new tyres, centre caps (BBS)   

Overall still enjoying the car the highlight of which is the drive train, engine has lots of character and the 4WD is great at this time of year, 

Still undecided which of the two I prefer spec aside I think the GTI might edge it as it feels significantly lighter on its feet, also as nice as the Recaros are you definitely sit a lot higher than the standard sport seats,   

#6 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

Not a huge amount to update, been enjoying the car when I can, it really impressed me in the recent snow with great traction despite the summer tyres 

my attention has turned to the inside of the car (too cold to be working outside) 

First off was changing the clocks for Bora Sport (theres a more detailed post in the electrical section)

46921638662_761c0c919b_c.jpg

Next up was the gear lever gaitor, original was in good order but I wanted a grey one to match the rest of the interior, found this one on line 

46261374814_242d740f93_c.jpg

Quite straightforward swapping the gear knob and retaining clips over

46985837031_015d5b57b4_c.jpg

Turned out ok, colour match isn't the best but in the flesh you don't really notice it 

46261370474_b42f65835d_c.jpg

46261573814_8e46f3d862_c.jpg

You'll notice in the last picture how worn the wheel is, I sourced a spare wheel and will be sending the original off for re-trimming this week. 

Spare wheel 

40020940563_c1628bf252_c.jpg

Next up is a set of Bora Vents (arriving this week) and a Passat W8 ceiling light 

Also began collecting bits for the chassis upgrade, will be waiting for the weather to warm up to go any further with this 

46933705682_a1bd67d594_c.jpg

Thanks for looking

Pete 

#7 Martog

Martog

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • north Manchester
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:31 PM

Very nice.  B)

There's so much you can do to these cars that improve looks, performance and certainly interiors that make it all worth it.

Thanks for sharing. 

:)

#8 Stonedofmoo

Stonedofmoo

PD297

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts
  • Portsmouth, UK.
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:48 AM

Aye, to improve the performance you can remove the V6 lump and fit a nicely boosted 1.9 PD engine  :P  :D

Just kidding, nice car! For the age that looks in great condition which is lovely to see. They're going up in value, so look after her.

Edited by Stonedofmoo, 05 February 2019 - 07:49 AM.

297bhp/400lbs torque @ 2.2bar. GTB2060VKLR, Firad 80%, Gas flowed head, oversized valves, Newmans 276 degree camshaft, Quaife LSD, 100 cell 'race' cat. Engine rebuild finished! https://uk-mkivs.net...gine-is-mapped/

#9 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

:P 

Yeah its hard to justify the fuel bills for the performance you get but in its defence it does sound good and it gives the car a real character

More bits arriving over the past few weeks,  

47178681402_583edacd8d_c.jpg

Dimmer and levelling switch will need swapping for my Xenon one

Got the loom from a MK4 FB group guy was selling them for £12 delivered which I thought was a good deal, removed some of the loom tape here to add the W8 illumination wire and also change the scotch locks 

47178677182_f1850df53c_c.jpg

Picture from the trimmer earlier, (I sent a headrest up so he could match the leather) want to fit my vents and w8 light before I fit this, have some better condition buttons to fit also. 

46316289995_8048e5fc17_c.jpg

47178675272_3c7052e5ce_c.jpg

I had a wobble after sending the wheel away as part 'wood' 3 spoke sports wheel popped up on a MK4 Facebook group, I know they are a not everyone's cup of tea  but i always had one in mind for this car, after lots of tossing and turning decided against it as i really like having the cruise control on the wheel rather than all on the stalk.

Felt like there was some play in the dogbone mount, considering going for a poly insert however I was concerned about increasing any vibration so went with oem, new stretch (?) bolts as well  

46316290975_755e245bac_c.jpg

#10 mk4gone

mk4gone

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

Nice mate! I'll agree that the fuel bills are hard to swallow with the 4mo, especially as most diesels are quicker nowadays. But the noise is worth every penny! 

Fully forged 1.8T AUM | 3" Turbo back Milltek Exhaust with de-cat | Airtec FMIC | R-Tech air intake | R-Tech Remap | BBT K300 Hybrid Turbo | Quaife LSD | R32 Front & Rear Brakes  | TT wishbones | PCV delete with catch can | 18" BBS CH wheels | Anniversary clocks | Anni front splitter | V6 rear valance | G60 flywheel & uprated VR6 clutch | 2.0T Ignition Coils | Bora Vents

#11 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9942 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

nice to see someone taking the time to keep it in good nick, most v6 4 motions are being neglected, I saw one today that almost made me want to slap the owner...  I kept my cool though but I could hear the chains dragging, the outside need some TLC and the interior looked completely worn to bits...  yes i saw the interior as he parked next to me, now this is why i didn't say anything... the guy looked like he was using it as a workhorse, judging buy his working clothes.. must have been a painter... 

shame about the car though, oww and the front disks clearly needed replacing... they were grooved like a 12 inch record. 

#12 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

Thanks, yes I agree a lot that come up for sale seem to be in a poor state of repair or badly modified,  

Some new parts arrived over the past few weeks

W8 Light

46614162725_888b01a9de_c.jpg

US Spec rear lights, owned these for a number of years as they were originally bought for my GTI but never got around to fitting them so dug them out from the garage

46614162975_671330b2f7_c.jpg

New handle painted body colour had the rear badge painted (body colour) 

47529603981_8af249f54d_c.jpg

All fitted with my replacement hatch (no spoiler) new rear plate (still need to fit wiper arm cap)

47529604311_ddc8e00d0a_c.jpg

Last part to arrive was some pre recall tt wishbones, not my first choice in colour but they've been really well prepared and come with superpro bushings (inc caster increase) and new Febi ball joints  

46614164475_74d72a4bbd_c.jpg

• northpole likes this

#13 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9942 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:29 AM

nice v6 mate it looks like it is in good nick... 

• pistolpedro and northpole like this

#14 JakeMcC

JakeMcC

Too many projects...

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Northern Ireland / Midlands
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:36 AM

Seems I missed this one pop up :) Very tidy looking car.

Looks like you're doing a great job of keeping the mods subtle and high quality - love the job on that steering wheel! On the handling mods I'd definitely recommend going for the full R32/TT/LCR setup, it does make a huge difference compared to the stock stuff. While you're at it you may as well fit some solid subframe bushes too :Y:

Build Thread - Anthracite PD150 OEM+ Build - ColorMFA, BC Racing coilovers, TT bits, GTB1756
Build Thread - Mk1 Tin Top Full Resto ongoing - 2.0 16V ABF swap on ITBs

#15 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

Thanks, I'm planning for hubs and associated hardware from the TT, only thing I'm not sure about at this time is the quick rack, the car would definitely benefit from it as the steering feels too slow but i'm concerned about ESP issues, researched but cant find a definitive answer. 

The car is not lowered and I would be using TT geometry which I've read can allow the golf esp to work with the TT rack but on the flip side I've read of other people having ESP triggering at unexpected times, I don't drive on track and most of the time just pootle about but on the rare occasion I do want to drive quickly I don't want it on the back my mind that the ESP is going to do something unexpected   

Been collecting some new parts 

TT hubs 
48412231287_3948af7a0e_c.jpg

Anniversary pedals 
48412081911_9cc30db093_c.jpg

Beetle RSI / Sport door pins
48412081846_72d625c838_c.jpg

R32 Handles (4 fronts but the rears are interchangeable) 
48412081801_c672d4063f_c.jpg

150mm mirrors, i'll be the first to admit these are a pretty pointless mod, but I stumbled on a genuine R32 nearside mirror for a great price, I then sourced a Polo 6n2  offside one which I'll be splitting to use on the MK4 base, ordered a offside blue wide angled heated mirror glass for the polo (£9) so fingers crossed that works.
48412081686_e0df460602_c.jpg

Fitted my steering wheel, no proper pics unfortunately as I need to replace the lower dash trim as it broke on removal, really pleased with it lifted the whole interior 
48412085136_05f1416e6a_c.jpg

the steering column trim wasn't in the best shape, I rang TPS and the bottom section was still available but the top was NLA, so decided to reuse my existing and repaint it in Plasti-Dip
48412231337_9982245640_c.jpg

Found some time for my 1.3CL MK2, been sat in my garage for six years, fired straight up with some fresh fuel, had the rear suspension replaced (sagging in this pic) and service / MOT, 
48412261951_1714840cf7_c.jpg

#16 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9942 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:42 AM

wait whut???? you've got a mk2 and you haven't tuned the living daylights out of it????? right so this is what you should do... find a corrado vr6 engine with subframe, shocks, hubs ecu (everything under the bonnet really) with the  engine loom have them place it on a pallet and send it to your house... when it arrives take out the 1.3 and bin it... drop the shocks subframe etc all on a pallet and replace the lot with your corrado lot...  than source the rear axle of a mk3 golf 2.0 16v gti or vr6 with the hubs and brakes and everything on it  and swap that lot to the mk2.... 

you won't even need to remap or turbo it... at first you'll love the go it'll have than when you get used to it... buy a vr6 turbokit and slap it on... those cheap chinese kits are quite good except for the turbo's but you can get a better one later down the line....and if you want to upgrade the interior... with some cutting and welding the lot of a mk4 fits straight in... 

but let me stop spending your money.... but it'll be money spend wisely

#17 mk4gone

mk4gone

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:59 AM

I've got a 24v V6 engine and gearbox here, with the loom and ecu. Transplaaaant!! 

Fully forged 1.8T AUM | 3" Turbo back Milltek Exhaust with de-cat | Airtec FMIC | R-Tech air intake | R-Tech Remap | BBT K300 Hybrid Turbo | Quaife LSD | R32 Front & Rear Brakes  | TT wishbones | PCV delete with catch can | 18" BBS CH wheels | Anniversary clocks | Anni front splitter | V6 rear valance | G60 flywheel & uprated VR6 clutch | 2.0T Ignition Coils | Bora Vents

#18 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:54 AM

don't tempt me he he, owned this one over ten years, I did originally buy it with the the plan of swapping a BAM engine into it (its a 1990 with the later CE2 so ideal for an engine swap) but when I got it home I realised it was too original to tear part  (its only got 60,000 on the clock) 

Now after owing the 4 motion though If i ever was to go down the transplant route I'd defo go VR6 rather than 20VT, think a N/A 2.9 12v with some head work, cams (268?), lightweight flywheel,  shorter FD and a quaife would be a good match for the mk2,   I do think about it from time to time, leave it standard visually maybe some pole positions re-trimmed in the factory cloth and the factory wheel re-trimmed in alcantara, 5 stud wide track and Corrado Speedline's too as they are one of my favourite wheels 

Have been reading up on turboing the MK4, (just for research mind no plans at this point) think with the chassis mods and 4WD,  it would make a pretty potent road car , from the stuff I've  read / watched (recently found Malaka Motorsports on YT) there seems to be a lack of options / shared knowledge on the 24v compared to the 12v even less so on the 2.8 rather than the 3.2, main questions I have in my mind are what inlet manifold to use (at reasonable cost) what inter cooler (need to keep AC) and mapping on the standard ECU,    

#19 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9942 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:32 AM

All the maps will be custom maps written for your modifications at the time you bring it in. The one thing about the 24v is that it is mainly the head that is reworked from the old vr6 but the exhaust manifolds from the mk3 vr6 fit, I had swapped a mk4 2.8 into a mates mk3 vr6 because he got the engine so cheap it would be stupid to buy new parts (also the 24v has more BHP than the VR6 2.8 or 2.9 to start off with) exhaust manifold used was an aftermarket  3 2 1 stainless steel  jobby... 

again a cheap ebay turbo kit comes with the lot needed mate including the exhaust manifold, all gaskets, turbo oil line, waste gates, etc etc etc... and if you pay a little more you get it with bigger injectors and a preformance chip... but that is just to utilise the new hardware without it over boosting (i would still go for a custom remap) 

or if you really want to keep everything in place... your best option would be a supercharger the likes of Rotrex or Vortech these babies are the 2 best options to use.. there are some knock-offs to these brands (Raptor is one of them) but longstory short.. the 2 big brands are so good they hold their worth for years and years.. One of my mates had a Rotrex on his vr6 back in the day, he recently sold the car, after owning it for 12 years, but put it back to standard and sold the supercharger for 2000 euros... He paid 2300 euros for it when new. 

#20 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge really appreciate it 

I can see the appeal of a supercharger but I think a turbo would definitely be my first choice

Ive since discovered a company called Rothe over in Germany and they seem to offer some really nice bits for the conversion (inlet manifold especially) and the price seems pretty reasonable in comparison to others, only issue is that the parts are primarily R32 and I'm not sure of the compatibility with my 2.8 (BDE) the TB for example, I'm not sure if 3.2 and 2.8 are different size 

can see some of the parts here; intercooler looks a good size as well I'm guessing you could still run AC with a similar set up

http://www.dk-race.d...bo Hannover.HTM

One thing i'm unsure of is the compatibility of parts with a RHD car, the exhaust manifold in particular 

Couple of more bits arrived

first off is the £9 mirror, seems to fit and looks pretty decent, you can see in the pic that some of the heating element is slightly misaligned and protruding past the glass, I'll have to look into this once the mirrors are all back together.

[48474233832_9185642655_c.jpg

FK Bumper vents found a NOS set on line,  when they arrived I noticed there was only one tab per vent and I couldn't see how they would fit (didn't want to use adhesives) searched online but couldn't find any definitive answers but to my surprise they slotted right in fitting really well

48474248682_25501164f1_c.jpg

48474103271_e42687543a_c.jpg

Trial fit (unpainted) 

48474097736_c94beef647_c.jpg

48474238397_48ed88971b_c.jpg

Undecided on them at the minute I'll be painting them body colour at the same time as the mirrors and I'll fit them again and see how I feel,  generally I like the outside of the car to look stock however being black hopefully they should be quite subtle,

#21 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9942 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

They'll look almost the same painted since your car is black, the only reason to really go for those is to add some ducting to them and have the end sit right in front of the brakes or if you go turbo, have the ducting sit somewhere in the middle of the FMIC... originally they were designed by Bonrath for aiding brake cooling, but can also be used for extra cooling on a FMIC... 

PS they do add a different overall look to the car, some like it some don't... but as soon as you make it a functional modification, you'll love it more. 

#22 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

Few small updates,

Ducts and mirrors painted, went with a 2k black primer, black magic base coat and a 2k lacquer, hopefully should stand up to any stone chips 

Freshly painted here prior to wet sanding and polish 

48718670502_6c4f394922_c.jpg

All done and fitted

48718162603_9c1858ac40_c.jpg

48718675077_e00af988e2_c.jpg

Really pleased with them in the end, being a black car they don't change the front end too much and most people wouldn't even notice them

Fitted the nearside R32 mirror surprised what a difference it has made especially from inside, visibility seems as good as before but the mirror is a much nicer shape to look at,hopefully get the offside one on this weekend

48718511061_f3dea3a3b0_c.jpg

A1 mirror switch (will just be using the knob)

48718512046_d319a27669_c.jpg

New head unit, had a look at a number of different models and this one seemed to fit the bill and should hopefully blend in well with the interior, 

48718177858_1bfff34cdb_c.jpg

Also sourced a replacement grey lower dash trim, seemed to take forever to find an unbroken one (no pics unfortunately) I'll fit it once the new stereo is in 

#23 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10574 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:06 AM

With R32 mirrors you deffo can't see as much out of the back. There's a big difference when I go from my daily Skoda to my golf (Skoda has normal golf MK4 mirrors).

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#24 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:02 PM

Finished the A1 mirror adjust knob install

49000642247_90c08031af_c.jpg

Noticed that the AC condenser had begin to banana so changed that fitted a new rad and fans as well as it was all in bits, gave me a chance to give the whole area a good clean and a coat of Dinitrol clear wax

49000603767_a27560e886_c.jpg

All back together

49000403031_8f9032f931_c.jpg

49000401006_1d10d5cf17_c.jpg

Eagle eyed amongst you will notice that my FK grills have been replaced by the oe items, upon dismantling the front I noticed a large crack in the paint were a stone had presumably impacted, haven't got the time at the minute to paint them so will leave it like this until spring / summer

Last shot definitely shows how under wheeled the car is, I'd really like to go up a few sizes but I'm concerned about ride quality being impacted negatively, 

Poly steering rack bush 

49000609487_fd26b1d2b8_c.jpg

Montreal 2's back from the refurbisher, changed my mind and decided to go for a chrome powdercoat instead of anthracite, really pleased with the finish be interesting to see how it holds up, planning on repainting the callipers in silver to compliment them.    

49000404906_c526cd8e16_c.jpg

49000407746_19e820375b_c.jpg

R32 Carbonio intake, needs a good clean but it looks in good order (think I might need a new silicone coupler to the MAF as mine is smaller than an R32?)

49000412786_554fa285b3_c.jpg

TT Hubs stripped and painted should be going in next week for the conversion,

49000413801_3741f45fbe_c.jpg

quick question is it worthwhile doing the subframe bushes at the same time, not sure what condition they are in but the cars done over a 100k so i'm guessing they may be due, cant seem to find any superpro ones so was looking at Powerflex, any experiences of them? look like they are in 2 parts so easier to fit than oe? 

#25 Earl_C

Earl_C

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Shropshire
  • Other Models

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:24 PM

New head unit, had a look at a number of different models and this one seemed to fit the bill and should hopefully blend in well with the interior, 

48718177858_1bfff34cdb_c.jpg

Had this in mine, take a look at my thread if you want to see it fitted, should be on the last page

Amateur build thread : https://uk-mkivs.net...-green-machine/ Now deceased, see here for parts  https://uk-mkivs.net...howtopic=649256

Crisis Car: https://uk-mkivs.net...er-life-crisis/

As Dan FR once said "If you don't like the answers you get, don't let the door hit you on the way out"

#26 Rob136

Rob136

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:40 PM

I'd say definitely do the subframe bushes. The OEM ones tend to corrode so the rubber separates from the aluminium centre. I've used a few sets of the powerflex ones and top tip for fitting is to assemble the bush loosely in the frame then offer the subframe up to the car and use the subframe front bolt and a large washer or equivalent to compress the bush into the subframe. You then remove the bolt and install the actual subframe rear bolt. And be careful! Despite how big they are they are actually quite hard to get started and you really don't want to cross thread them!

#27 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:40 PM

Thanks gents, I ordered the bushes, went with purple Powerflex ones in the end they were actually cheaper than OEM Audi TT ones, I would have actually preferred non poly after subsequently reading up on the sub frame but it was hard to justify the cost especially as the 4 sub frame bolts were £40!  :(

I have been surprised at the cost of the conversion I had it in my head it would be relatively cheap but with associated bits and replacing consumable parts its really added up, hopefully its all worth it in the end 

#28 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9942 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

the car is screaming for some nice wheels if you ask me... something bigger 18 inch in a style that compliments the mk4... loads to choose from to be fair from the oem range all the way up to aftermarket,,, but the nicest ones that don't ask for a lot of maintenance will be the s-line audi a6 wheels like these:

8977d1362440850-18-original-audi-rims-b7

and they can be had in very good condition with good tires for around 200 pounds ;)  

#29 pistolpedro

pistolpedro

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:10 PM

yes I agree with you although those not particular wheel rather polished 18 BBS RC's off an Anniversary, it would need to be lowered though so it would be a double whammy for ride quality, for the time being the 16's will be fine, I also quite like the fact that to all intents and purposes it just looks like a bog standard non sporty Golf  

#30 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9942 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

that is the appeal of the v6 4 motion... about those wheels those would be for bad weather mate they are easy to keep clean the BBS although lovely are a right PITA to keep clean so i would only use them during the summer and wash them every other day... 

ps storm developments is the only tuner i know of in the UK that was turbocharging the v6 4 motion so if you are smart talk to them or get in contact with this company ask for their v6 guru Rob... he can tell you what you need and can supply you with all the parts needed but beware that will be in euro's so you might have to pay import costs on the parts.... and afaik the parts used by storm developments for the v6 4motion turbokits mostly come from them although they do have their own in-house developed parts.  

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.