Element

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Scotland
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:25 PM

Hello VW folks,

After many years of owning & driving other cars, I now have a Mk4 Golf TDI 2003 1.9pd. The car is fabulous to drive other a frustrating limp mode issue every time I start it up and initially drive, it hesitates to go and has a weird noise.. It makes makes a whirring, motor, solenoid type of noise when its moving, if I stop it stops; only when its moving. The noise seems to be coming from in front of the passenger area. It directly affects the power - when its making the noise, the car almost goes into limp mode with definitely reduced power, if I put my foot down, it hesitates but eventually goes and once doing 40-50 mph - no (aidible ) noise and no further problem - only at slower speeds and especially with a cold engine. The glowplug light is flashing and the 'traction control' light comes on, flashes but eventually just stays on.

After driving a mile or so, the 2 lights are still lit but there is no further problem with the car and it drives / behaves perfectly, even at slower speeds - once its warmed up.

As I am unfamiliar with this engine I recorded a wee vid on my phone & you can just hear the sound about 8 through to 10 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/y_1v7KJpJos

It comes and goes and clearly is directly associated to the fuel system and or ecu. Someone had suggested it was the 'N75' - so I bought a new one & replaced it but it has made no difference.

After 20-30 seconds of starting the car, I get the message 'Engine Workshop' come up and then it goes away. EML not lit. I used my ELM 327 Bluetooth connector and Torque Pro but there were no available fault codes (to Torque Pro). I suspect that if I managed to get a VAG.com lead and software I might get to the bottom of it but I haven't gone that far yet. I would like to get this at some point & would also appreciate advice on where and what to buy.

I do wonder whether it might be the ABS pump? - but why would it affect the power..and why would there not be an ABS bulb lit up..?

Any help would be gratefully recieved  :Y: 

Cheers

Tony

#2 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50012 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:57 PM

Your post has been moved.Please always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section.

#3 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9288 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

your best port of call is to have the ecu read for fault codes, Have to be honest that noise doesn't ring a bell at all... and it is the first time i ever heard something like that on a mk4 pd engine. 

#4 Element

Element

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Scotland

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:09 PM

I'm waiting for a Vag cable to be delivered, however, I have concluded that it is the ABS pump that makes the noise, still unsure whether it is reacting to a duff sensor on any of the wheels or it is itself corrupted, or perhaps its as a result of the fuse being corroded (last post here:http://www.vwaudifor...l-Unit-amp-Pump )..

#5 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9288 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

I'm waiting for a Vag cable to be delivered, however, I have concluded that it is the ABS pump that makes the noise, still unsure whether it is reacting to a duff sensor on any of the wheels or it is itself corrupted, or perhaps its as a result of the fuse being corroded (last post here:http://www.vwaudifor...l-Unit-amp-Pump )..

they might be on to something.. But yeah just check the fuses for it and if they seem to check out... the ABS unit must have logged an error code that will pinpoint to the exact problem... so you'll still need to run diagnostics 

#6 Element

Element

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Scotland

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:10 PM

Well I thought I'd tidy this up.. It turned out that the whirring noise was the ABS pump going nuts because the wheels were misaligned, the steering wheel was misaligned and one steering tie rod was severely worn. So the ECU thought the wheels were turning at different rates because of wheel turning orientation to the track. New tie rod, wheels finally then realigned and steering wheel removed (for the 7th time ) and refitted true to the tracking wheels. No more problem with it, no more noise.

Still have the glowplug light flashing on the dash - figure that's due to a poor signal from the new and working brake pedal switch.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.