VW Golf MK7 GTD - question regarding fuel range - MkVII (MK7) Golf and Jetta - uk-mkivs

Photo

VW Golf MK7 GTD - question regarding fuel range

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dullah7861

Dullah7861

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Burton on Trent
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:21 PM

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone on the forum could help with something that could or could not be an issue. 

I have recently bought a 2014 MK7 GTD, this morning i decided to fill up car with Shell V-Power, full tank cost me around £64. 

After filling up, i looked at the fuel range it was only showing a range of 350 miles - am i right in thinking this is very low? 

I am comparing this to my previous 2005 MK5 GT Tdi - a full tank of fuel would show around 550 miles on the display. 

The GTD car has been recently serviced and seems in good order. Reading online a full tank should show roughly 600 odd miles of range, i understand this will not always be accurate, but it should be quite close to this figure if i'm correct? 

Is the above a problem or should i keep continue driving and hoping after the issue will rectify after few trips to the petrol station.

Thanks in advance. 

#2 ypvs

ypvs

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts
  • N Cambs

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

For the trip computer to do the maths it needs data. Until you drive a little it doesn't have much to go on- probably only tank capacity and last mpg. You might find the tank range will jump as you drive. If its still wrong at half tank then I'd worry. Do you still have  a fuel gauge on the cluster? You could try going into the menu and deleting the long-term average MPG, 

#3 Dan FR

Dan FR

Meth addict

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3077 posts
  • Caerdydd
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:01 PM

The range is calculated based on your most recent driving conditions/style. Sit at 60 on a motorway and that range will drastically increase very quickly

gallery_39141_35970_27324.jpg

TFSI... Revo Stage 2+ ...  :D PSN: PuntoGT031087. VCDS HEX V2, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Logging, Coding, SKC & Immo, Cluster mods, Auto windows etc.. The usual....  I also dabble in EDC15P mapping & tweaking, LC, Popcorn etc.

#4 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10551 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

The range to empty display is based on the previous 30 miles of driving

On the mark4 golf that is.

I assume the Mk5 6 7 all share the same idea....

Honestly did you spank the car hard for the previous 30 miles ?!

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#5 Dullah7861

Dullah7861

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Burton on Trent

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:59 PM

For the trip computer to do the maths it needs data. Until you drive a little it doesn't have much to go on- probably only tank capacity and last mpg. You might find the tank range will jump as you drive. If its still wrong at half tank then I'd worry. Do you still have  a fuel gauge on the cluster? You could try going into the menu and deleting the long-term average MPG, 

Ah ok, will keep an eye on the fuel gauge! Thanks!

The range is calculated based on your most recent driving conditions/style. Sit at 60 on a motorway and that range will drastically increase very quickly

Thanks! 

The range to empty display is based on the previous 30 miles of driving

On the mark4 golf that is.

I assume the Mk5 6 7 all share the same idea....

Honestly did you spank the car hard for the previous 30 miles ?!

Thanks for that GTi Fly, let's just say on the way home after purchasing the car I was just testing out the car haha. 

Must have been doing over 120mph for around 10-15 miles. I have now calmed down since yesterday, been driving in eco mode haha! Thank you though, now at least i know it's based on only the last 30 miles. 

#6 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

I would confirm what Gti Fly and Dan FR have said about the old data being used to recalculate range when you fill up and the fact it can produce strange results if you change driving conditions (with attendant change in fuel use) between refills.

I'm took early retirement several years ago and most of my driving is shortish urban driving and consequently I get about 38-40 mpg between top ups most times.

The first time I went on my annual touring holiday to Germany (about 2k of mainly fast motorway or A road) it was quite magical to witness the self filling fuel tank with the range to empty quickly change from 450 to 650 miles and average mpg to soar to 60+!

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

#7 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10551 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

Ah ok, will keep an eye on the fuel gauge! Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for that GTi Fly, let's just say on the way home after purchasing the car I was just testing out the car haha.
Must have been doing over 120mph for around 10-15 miles. I have now calmed down since yesterday, been driving in eco mode haha! Thank you though, now at least i know it's based on only the last 30 miles.

At least you now know you've got 350 miles range whilst the police car and helicopter are chasing your speeding ass
  • danielallen89 likes this

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.