13 replies to this topic

#1 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

Anyone had any previous with these? I'm obviously wary of Chinese knock-offs like Pumpkin! But I have heard some good reviews, but also a lot of bad...

I've done a search (using Tapatalk app so I'm not sure it's actually working!) But couldn't find anything.

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/333236565813

Oli

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#2 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50095 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 29 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

I'm currently using an Xtrons double DIN in my Focus,and have been for over a year now without any real problems.Eonons and Xtrons in the UK are supplied by the same company,but I don't know if they're made in the same factory back in the mother land.
For a fraction of the price of the equivalent Pioneer etc,it's worth every penny and works perfectly every time using my Android phone as a hotspot.

• marshole82 likes this

#3 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10730 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 29 June 2019 - 09:14 PM

Also using one in the beamer, works perfectly.

Bluetooth is quite poor to get it to connect but once it's connected it auto connects every time I get in. Even plays music automatically.
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#4 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 09:17 PM

Sounding good so far....can your stream music from your phone on Bluetooth and also take and make calls? Want something not too flashy and these seem pretty cheap for the spec

#5 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50095 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

I don't use bluetooth with mine,but Google navigation works perfectly with live traffic updates and rerouting if needed.If in doubt and you want a personal music player,just play the music from a USB flash drive.

#6 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:56 AM

I don't use bluetooth with mine,but Google navigation works perfectly with live traffic updates and rerouting if needed.If in doubt and you want a personal music player,just play the music from a USB flash drive.

Do you get GPS aerial with it then? That's a bonus!

#7 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9789 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

if you buy it make sure you buy a satnav version.. it'll come with everything needed and from what i know about them you can use either sygic or tomtom maps to keep it up to date... it'll have a SD slot for the satnav maps and another one for all your other media you want to use... but since it runs andriod you can just install your andriod version of satnav you prefer, google maps can be ran from your phone or the unit itself but you'll need a data connection dongle (either the one you can get with the unit and get it's own sim with data) or you use your phones app and it's data... all the 7.0 andriod versions have andriod auto so you can mirror your phone to the unit or just use the installed apps on it... your choice.  

• marshole82 likes this

#8 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts
  • Finland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 30 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

All these units are produced by few manufacturers in china anyway. Then companies like Eonon, Joying, Pumpkin, Ownice etc. rebrand them. I bought an Ownice C500 in 2017 from AliExpress official store and it was my first double-din radio. It worked quite well for 8 months then LCD was showing every other line and the seller sent me a new display for it for free. I think if you buy from official stores, you are more or less covered when something goes wrong. Otherwise the only problem I have is the slow boot time. But afaik Ownice does not have android 8/9 models so I can't suggest it.

That said, you should look the answer in XDA forum as there is a dedicated section for android headunits. -> https://forum.xda-de...roid-head-units

Since then I can tell what I would be careful to look at for my next purchase:

1- The boot time, most units take 30+ seconds which is annoying if you need to use navigation. Most units can do instant reverse camera on though (but still must confirm this with seller). Only FYT mcu units can do 2-3s boot. The fast boot possibility should be something you look for when you buy one. Just to not confuse, almost all units have shutdown delay. You can tell unit to stay on for up-to 30minutes after you remove the key. In this mode when you insert the key, unit does not boot again so you get instant-on. But this is not same as 2s boot. The units which can do real 2-3s boot use <1mA power when off while the standby units use 300mA+ and with a maximum time limit.

2- Radio RDS does not show station names on most units. It is not a showstopper but I think it is ugly to see huge numbers only :) You have to ask this from seller! While this is almost a lost cause as afaik no chinese unit can do it nicely. There are mods for joying units. I think it is one of the most supported brand for mods:

Tools:

https://hvdwolf.gith...-RootAssistant/

Radio Examples:

https://hvdwolf.gith...s-examples.html

3- Size, any unit deeper than 145mm will probably not fit to Golf MK4 without modification of plastics there. I would go save and measure the depth of your DIN slot.

4- While it is impossible to tell from the pictures of products. All units which has buttons have the screen about 5mm inside the bezel. At least when installed to Golf MK4 it is impossible to see the top notification bar when you are at the driver's seat position. I think the only way is to use a unit without buttons as the screen does not have a bezel around it. As all sellers have unit photos edited, or directly from front, you never see that there is this problem.

5- Here you ask about a device using brand name (although you put the ebay link to a specific device).  The answers you get may not reflect reality for the specific unit you buy. Since companies use different hardware in different models, one person who has Eonon but a different model may have a different experience than what you would get from your model.

6- Make sure to get a model with at least 4GB RAM/32GB Flash and a decent processor, PX5, PX6 or Intel SC9853i (although this processor is supported less and gets quite hot I hear).

You will also need to consider installing a heatsink on the processor yourself if you live on a hot climate. As I hear almost all units benefit from such. This could be something you check after you install your unit.

7- Some units offer internal DSP for equalizer etc. You should probably check that your unit has such feature.

• northpole likes this

#9 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50095 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:07 PM

Do you get GPS aerial with it then? That's a bonus!

Yes you do.

#10 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts
  • Finland

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

In general you get everything needed. Also, microphone, GPS and 4G antenna etc. But I installed a VW MK4 triplex antenna myself. I thought it would get better signal since it is on the roof. But I can't really compare it so I do not know if it makes any difference.

I don't like Intel much but these units are pretty much top of the line right now. Although I do not have one... So I can't vouch that it has no bugs, check XDA for reviews. Also you should probably be ready to install a heatsink. :)

https://www.aliexpre...2963443072.html

• marshole82 likes this

#11 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:11 PM

Cheers all! Not sure what I'm gonna do!!! The jury is still out.

#12 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts
  • Finland

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:52 AM

Cheers all! Not sure what I'm gonna do!!! The jury is still out.

A better known cpu was PX5, and successor is PX6. Dasaita has PX6 units with fast boot also:

https://www.aliexpre...3010915960.html

apparently even an HDMI port if you want to a high res external screen...

#13 dampy78

dampy78

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:22 PM

Did you get one of these in the end?

#14 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:01 PM

No I didn't. Just couldn't bring myself to lol I found a second hand blaupunkt with indigo and red illumination, Bluetooth and cd. It's perfectly fine ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MKIV-(MK4)

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.