Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

need to do the shock absorbers on my mk4 golf. Just curious as to whether this part is required to be replaced like the ones on the front struts or can it be reused.

Not a modder, just a regular runabout and need to renew the suspension to make it more easier for my passengers.

Do the springs need replacing at 161K miles, or is shocks alone fine to do?

#2 gazman70

gazman70

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Newton Stewart,South West Scotland
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:08 PM

I would and have before bearing too it's an item that does wear so when you are replacing the struts anyway it's the perfect opportunity.

#3 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:06 PM

wheel bearing right? I think i need to replace them, they are making noises.

I need to buy the driveshaft end cup remover and a press to take the wheel bearing housing off.

Think it would be handy to save some cash just doing the bearings rather than the whole housing.

#4 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

Something like this kit.

https://www.ebay.co....CA/303218247891

If the hub is fine, why throw money at changing it when you can put them money on better quality bearing (at the same overall cost).

May be a PITA to take bearing out though.

#5 gazman70

gazman70

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Newton Stewart,South West Scotland
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:16 PM

wheel bearing right? I think i need to replace them, they are making noises.

I need to buy the driveshaft end cup remover and a press to take the wheel bearing housing off.

Think it would be handy to save some cash just doing the bearings rather than the whole housing.

No strut mount bearing often you can buy them and the mount together as a kit although when doing mine i wanted decent quality so bought separately Lemforder mounts and febi mount bearings.

#6 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

I didnnt realise that needed to be replaced, I thought it was a solid piece of metal.

You referring to the front or back shocks? I changed the bearings on the fronts. I didn't think the backs needed doing.

#7 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts
  • Finland

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

Rear does not have any top bearing...hmm?

http://www.oemepc.co.../3705862/lang/e

Did you get your rear suspension status measured before deciding that it needs replacement? You need to make sure to have correct tire pressures for measurement. It can make a huge difference in test results.

#8 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9366 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

There is no bearing in the rear, the wheels don't have to turn!

It's a lump of cast alloy (or similar) with a very hard rubber bush in it where the damper rod runs through it. Two 16mm fix it to the body.

I changed mine after 17 years when I did my full running gear refresh. To be honest, I don't know why I bothered, the originals looked fine.

It's marginal whether you will notice any change if you spend your money.

:Y:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#9 Karim

Karim

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts
  • London

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

http://www.oemepc.co.../3705862/lang/e

Did you get your rear suspension status measured before deciding that it needs replacement? You need to make sure to have correct tire pressures for measurement. It can make a huge difference in test results.

It's called a bearing, but is it really. A bearing is what has ballbearings and spins IMHO. The fronts use bearings. Is the rear a bearing or a mount?

I didn't do any diagnostics on the rear suspensions. All I know is I did the front shock absorbers and noticed a difference immediately, and the wife and baby sit at the back and my wife complains the ride is harsh and she feels everything. I figured it's a 17 year old car. The shocks must need doing. At £60 for a monroe, can you go wrong? it's not just a hunch, it's noticable. when going over a hump, there's a rebound effect where it feels like the back is bouncing a few times before it settles.

#10 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts
  • Finland

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

It's called a bearing, but is it really. A bearing is what has ballbearings and spins IMHO. The fronts use bearings. Is the rear a bearing or a mount?

I didn't do any diagnostics on the rear suspensions. All I know is I did the front shock absorbers and noticed a difference immediately, and the wife and baby sit at the back and my wife complains the ride is harsh and she feels everything. I figured it's a 17 year old car. The shocks must need doing. At £60 for a monroe, can you go wrong? it's not just a hunch, it's noticable. when going over a hump, there's a rebound effect where it feels like the back is bouncing a few times before it settles.

Yes in front there are bush and bearing. There is no bearing in the back, look at the link I gave. Don't they measure suspensions when you take your car to yearly checkup?

I would trust a machine to measure before and after. People are very unreliable especially when they expect a change. For example a while ago, a friend of mine told me that he was going setup a ham radio antenna in weekend. He sent notice to his neighbors and asked them to report if their TV reception is effected from it. After weekend he received complaints from people whose TV reception became worse... But he was sick and he did not put up an antenna. Yet people had noticeable worse reception and blamed him for it :D simply because they expected a problem...

#11 McPikie

McPikie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:05 PM

Bumping this, as there seems to be a procedure for refitting new top mounts, not just a case of lobbing the bolts in. Apparently you have to weight up the shocker first by resting the bottom on a transmission jack, then torquing up to 22lbs/ft, then a 1/4 turn

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.