Change from a Manual MK& to DSG Golf MK7? - MkVII (MK7) Golf and Jetta - uk-mkivs

Photo

Change from a Manual MK& to DSG Golf MK7?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:35 AM

Due to worsening left knee problems and ultimate knee joint replacement I suppose, I was thinking of changing my current MT 1.4TFSI Golf for essentially the same but with a DSG model.

I read so many bad reports about these boxes and driving experiences that I am a bit put off, to say the least. I read that it is really a semi automatic box operated by a 'computer' and therefore without a torque converter, has its drawbacks especially manoeurvring in slow moving traffic or in confined spaces etc.

How would I use the DSG,say on a long incline coming up to a T-junction on a hill? Crrently I creep forward then stop and put gearbox in neutral and Autohold holds indefinitely until such time as I release my clutch whereupon I get perfect hill start until the next hold up. Would one also use Autohold on the DSG car to hold the car stationary and then presumably pressing the throttle releases the brake an the car moves forward smoothly - or does it? OR does one sit there with the foot on the foot brake until such time that the traffic in front of me moves off?

Some advice would be welcome and yes people are going to say, 'go for a road test in one'

Bought new Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4 TSI 125ps Manual.

#2 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

#3 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for that video and is one on Youtube I seem to have missed! It all seems so easy and trouble free when explained there and so one wonders why so  much is reported about problems on sitting in queues and being worried that the clutches may still be in grab mode unless one takes the appropriate action, whatever that might be. A lot has been written about allowing the car to creep too much instead of allowing gaps between cars to form and then going forward to allow clutches to engage fully, thus minimising clutch slip?

#4 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:14 PM

Why can't I edit the mistake in my topic title? I require a '7' where the Ampersand is. Grrrhhh

#5 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

@marvin DSG was launched in 2003 and there were few revisions and recalls and what not. So you can't blame the whole product series for few faults :)

https://en.wikipedia...uipped_vehicles

My friend bought Skoda Rapid 1.0l with 7 gear DSG just this year, it seems to work fine. I drove it few times and it was quite nice, but it had no autohold feature. I think 1.0 engine was quite nice, and uses little fuel, you should take one to test drive :)

Watch this :)

Edited by yurtesen, 30 October 2019 - 04:25 PM.

#6 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:21 PM

@marvin DSG was launched in 2003 and there were few revisions and recalls and what not. So you can't blame the whole product series for few faults :)

https://en.wikipedia...uipped_vehicles

My friend bought Skoda Rapid 1.0l with 7 gear DSG just this year, it seems to work fine. I drove it few times and it was quite nice, but it had no autohold feature. I think 1.0 engine was quite nice, and uses little fuel, you should take one to test drive :)

Watch this :)

That video is fantastic. How on earth can a 1 litre Golf go so fast? I have never driven above 90 mph in the UK as it would be asking for trouble. And the car sounds so quiet but that may be due to placement of microphone etc and ultra smooth road surfaces of which we in the UK can only dream of.

#7 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

That video is fantastic. How on earth can a 1 litre Golf go so fast? I have never driven above 90 mph in the UK as it would be asking for trouble. And the car sounds so quiet but that may be due to placement of microphone etc and ultra smooth road surfaces of which we in the UK can only dream of.

Well probably it is very silent at least the engine is. My friend's skoda is gliding on highway. Here the limit is 120km/h... It is able to do 120km/h with ~2500rpm... You can see in video that it drives with RPMs between 2000-3000rpm when he does not floor the pedal. Also the car in video still upshifts at 189km/h! It is able to do 189km/h with 4700rpm at 7th gear. To surprise more, the engine is with 3 cylinders :)

But yes, the answer to your question is that engine is awesome and 7 gears do wonders :) Although the manual version uses slightly less petrol. You really should take a test drive now :D

You can watch this also:

#8 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

Well probably it is very silent at least the engine is. My friend's skoda is gliding on highway. Here the limit is 120km/h... It is able to do 120km/h with ~2500rpm... You can see in video that it drives with RPMs between 2000-3000rpm when he does not floor the pedal. Also the car in video still upshifts at 189km/h! It is able to do 189km/h with 4700rpm at 7th gear. To surprise more, the engine is with 3 cylinders :)

But yes, the answer to your question is that engine is awesome and 7 gears do wonders :) Although the manual version uses slightly less petrol. You really should take a test drive now :D

You can watch this also:

Thanks for your interest and the links you have given me. I still think that there would be road noise which seems very subdued but again perhaps at that speed they are leaving the noise behind them!!

#9 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for your interest and the links you have given me. I still think that there would be road noise which seems very subdued but again perhaps at that speed they are leaving the noise behind them!!

Well highways are pretty smooth, but the new cars are also very well isolated also you can get more silent tires today. I could hear the engine noise as I hear it in my friend's car, so I expect the road sounds were also more or less reasonable. I changed to winter tires so I need to listen to spikes :)

Like I said, I know you do not want to hear it but you should go for a test drive in a 1.0l engine DSG vehicle :)

Edited by yurtesen, 30 October 2019 - 07:07 PM.

#10 marvin

marvin

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1478 posts
  • S.London UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:07 PM

Well highways are pretty smooth, but the new cars are also very well isolated also you can get more silent tires today. I changed to winter tires so I need to listen to spikes :)

Like I said, I know you do not want to hear it but you should go for a test drive in a 1.0l engine DSG vehicle :)

Believe me I will but not the 1.0 litre 3 cyl engine. I have experience of those in rented cars, which might not be the best way to judge. I like my 1.4TFSI engine as it is much smoother at low speeds but as I said earlier my clutch knee needs a rest from constant pressure - I am nearly 82 yrs now!!

#11 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

Wow, all of a sudden I feel like I missed many birthdays :) It would probably be difficult to find 1.0l Golf with DSG in UK anyway.

Because when I go to configure Golf in Finnish VW site, I get 2 engine options. 1.0 TSI and 1.6 TDI SCR. British site shows only 1.6 TDI. Strange...

https://www.autocar....ion-2017-review

in that article says "1.0 has just a much torque as the 1.4 TSI 125"

Anyway, good luck with your purchase, come back and let us know about your experience with DSG :)

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.