6 replies to this topic

#1 JEG2502

JEG2502

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:08 AM

Hi there,

Has anybody been successful in repairing heating for a 1.4 VW TSI Golf? It’s a 13 plate.

I have what seems to be a common problem of very tepid air that I am sure would not demist windows it’s so poor.

I would love any help/advice.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Dox1966

Dox1966

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:36 AM

I've been reading online that they have a bag of silica? in the expansion tank that's suposed to gently migrate to the coolant system lengthening the life of the coolant? The bag is reputed to burst blocking the heater matrix etc The dealer cost to fix was around £2.5K!

Progress eh?

#3 JEG2502

JEG2502

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:48 AM

oh dear. Thanks for replying. Appreciated .

#4 Dox1966

Dox1966

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:06 AM

Sounds a bit extreme TBH?

#5 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

oh dear. Thanks for replying. Appreciated .

I can't help but think that this "teabag" in the coolant header tank affecting th eheating system on the Mk7 may be a bit of scaremongering and maybe a red herring.

Other than the bag the Mk7 is not dissimilar to that on the Mk4-6 models and these have problems on occasion and (blockages due to neglect of the cooling system excepted) a large number of heater issues are down to failures of the blower motor or speed control or of the (largely electrically operated) air mixing flaps that control temperature and direction of airflow inside the cabin. I think investigation of these is likely to give a fix.

The systems on all these cars are sealed and filled with a long life anti freeze and Inhibitor mix to protect from freezing and corrosion and faults excepted, there is no maintenance required for the life of the vehicle. I bought my own 07 Mk5 1.9tdi in late 2010 and had no issues with it until I changed the factory coolant 3 years ago. It was still an as new clear bright pink colour as new with no cloudiness, discolouration, or deposits or particles whatoever. I only changed it for peace of mind as several coolant manufacturers suggested 6 years as a "life" and mine was 9.5yo

It appears that the "teabag" in the coolant bottle of the Mk7 contains corrosion inhibitors to extent the protection to the metal parts in the coolant/hearer circuits still further and that insurances of them sitting and causing issues are few and far between.

As a preliminary I suggest you remove the coolant cap and examine the contents. If they are clear, bright (pink or purple) with no deposits or cloudiness your coolant is likely not an issue. If there are deposits it is worth checking the condition of the bag to see it is intact. At only 6 or so you should not have an issue.

It should be said that most modern systems rely on airflow from the blower to work correctly as there is little "ram-Air" effect from the car moving except at speed do check it works at all positions. The after check the direction controls to see the air is being directed and diverted as intended. Thereafter (leaving other controls untouched) check the temperature knob to see if there is any change in air temperature. The temperature control works by way of air flaps that mix clean fresh air from outside, cabin air from the outside and controlling the flow over the (constantly hot) heater matrix. If the temperature doesn't change it is likely that the air flaps are not working correctly. This may be due to mechanical faults in the electrically operated flap units (broken gears and motors are not rare) or in the sensors and electronics of the climate control panel

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
  • Dox1966 likes this

#6 JEG2502

JEG2502

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:30 PM

Just thought I’d update, Hester matrix was changed today & I have heat. So that was the culprit.

Thanks for your input

#7 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4509 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:12 PM

Just thought I’d update, Hester matrix was changed today & I have heat. So that was the culprit.

Thanks for your input

Pleased to hear, thanks for the update!

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.