yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:24 PM

OK I guess it is worthwhile to mention the vehicle is LHD and there is no sunroof. The cabin air intake/filter is on the right/passenger side and that side is completely dry. So far I have checked the door panel card and it is not leaking water in. The drains under the plastic windshield cowl/cover is clean and water does not accumulate there.

I realized there was so much water at driver's side that it was almost 1m above the carpet. It was like a swimming pool there. I drained it slowly using towels, it took at least 3 fully wet towels. But it rained yesterday quite a bit and it was full of water again.

I checked some other forum posts and seems like one possible cause is the hood release cable location. But I do not want to remove the cowl plastic right now as it is like 2C outside. I will try to check it from inside if possible.ook for?

I wanted to make a list of things to check before starting to look around and start from easiest to check. So, any ideas on what else to add to my list?

• Ramonmaf likes this

#2 SpoilsburyToastboy

SpoilsburyToastboy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:40 PM

Every VW has this. Standard design flaw.

2005 2.0 GT TDi

2002 1.8T AUM - Currently off the road with front geometry issues.

#3 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10551 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

Bonnet cable , it's a possible place .
Put some dry tissue /kitchen paper halfway up the footwell behind the pedals , halfway so it's not touching the floor level. If water drains downwards from the firewall then hopefully you will see wet tissue ... Water trail ...
Or use baby powder sprinkled on the carpet wall behind the pedals as long as the carpet isn't soaking wet. Same idea as tissue...

Also the metal window panel behind the door trim can leak water in the bottom edge , as they are sealed from water by a gluey seal. The glue seal can fail given these cars are 20 years old. So when it rains the water runs in.

U can run a hose pipe on the side window and get someone to sit in the car and see if water is coming in via the bottom of the door card/door pocket area.

Again u can try placing baby powder over this area overnight and see if any water lines appear after a nights rain??

U can

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

Might be a long shot, but it could be a windscreen seal failed.

#5 SpoilsburyToastboy

SpoilsburyToastboy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:16 PM

I did that ^ talc powder. Think it was a grommet, but happened only if the front end of the car was upwards.

My My MK2 dit it, Mk4 did it, my Mk5 does it.

Our Fabia (aka Polo) did it.

Everyone at work who's got/had a VW has had rain water leaks.

I've never ever had a VW group car which didn't leak.

2005 2.0 GT TDi

#6 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:31 PM

@SpoilsburyToastboy well it lasted 15 years completely dry, hard to call it a design flaw :) The surprising thing is that it was totally dry until last month and all of a sudden there is a lake. 

A year ago, I removed the cowling plastic cover and cleaned up leaves which literally was turned into soil from there. Only because I was changing the wiper mechanism... It may be that I have disturbed the bonnet cable, or maybe the soil was keeping the holes tightly blocked :) I actually have a picture from the area, pre-cleaned, see 5

http://evren-yurtese...emechanism.html

But again, I am not sure why it started leaking all of a sudden few weeks ago...

@Gti Fly I removed the covers and some noise isolation around the steering wheel area. But it is just covered with carpet or more layers of isolation pieces... I can't even see from where the bonnet cable goes in, it gets lost behind some carpet. Not sure where I can put a paper towel. Because I see a very small part of firewall only through the carpeting. I will look more tomorrow...

Perhaps an endoscope camera next to bonnet cable can show the status from inside, I would just need somebody to keep pouring water on top of it. But right now it is somewhat dangerous as it is minus degrees outside. I will return back to this when it gets warmer outside.

@ttg4l I guess the question is how to detect if it is the windscreen seal. But I think next I will try washing the cowling area under the windscreen to see if water goes in. That should tell if the problem is windscreen or not... Thanks...

Thanks a lot for the responses. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow probably...

Edited by yurtesen, 04 February 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#7 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:13 PM

I'd assume you could detect a windscreen leak if the dash is removed, but this is a hassle for a leak that is quite unlikely (unless it's been replaced recently).

I'd take another look at the inner door panels, just to be sure. And also the main door seal. Again both just with someone pouring water from the outside, but yes it'll be easier when the weather warms up.

For the time being you could get a cover for your car, just to stop it turning into a swimming pool.

#8 SpoilsburyToastboy

SpoilsburyToastboy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

Maybe see if under your carpet and underlay you can see something like this. This is behind the pedals, it appears to be a plate which fits with a gasket, yet is bolted to the steel from the outside, somewhere underneath.

Mine gets soaked if the car is parked facing upwards, which never really happens unless I'm working on it and have the front end jacked up for days if it rains.

Attached Files

2005 2.0 GT TDi

#9 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:44 PM

@ttg4l I would rather not remove the dash :) I checked the door panels by driving the car a whole week with plastic door trims removed so I could see if any water is coming. But the surrounding area was completely dry meanwhile the floor was becoming a pool... At least I can tell that it is not leaking from any visible part of the door seals... but also I now have some evidence from footrest area that it was really wet...

@SpoilsburyToastboy there is no such opening where metal can be seen like in your picture. There is the normal beige carpet and where it ends starts some white carpet/noise insulation. There are openings where the pedals are but I can barely touch the firewall from the opening. It is mostly a bolt or nut visible and the opening is just enough to allow tightening/removal of it. I cant even fit my fingers to those holes, they are so tight.

I removed the footrest plastic and could lift the carpet a little bit. There I found a lot of water droplets etc. It is just under the bonnet cable entrance... I found a picture I took last year also when I changed the wiper arms, the bonnet cable goes just next to the drain hole...

I will investigate it further and let you guys know what I find :)

Attached Files

#10 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

Just as an update, I recently had time to open the cowling and reach to the grommet for bonnet/hood opener cable Half of the grommet was covered with factory sealant but it looked like there was a small gap in between. Also the drain hole on the side was somewhat blocked with factory sealant causing the grommet area to become a pool when it rained.

I also found out that rear seat carpet was equally wet due to leak, and had to remove the rear seat to be able to pull carpet up a bit to dry it. I used the winter blower in low setting and left it many hours blowing warm air to under the carpet until it was completely dry.

I have removed the grommet and the wire. Then cut the factory sealant around a bit to allow better water flow. It was quite hard and inflexible. Then put a new grommet and used silicone around it a little bit to make it seal better. Then painted over (the factory one was also painted).

No water so far, have to check after a long rainy day. I also checked that water flows away from the area now. A picture of the result is attached.

Attached Files

#11 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:35 PM

Fingers crossed it doesn't leak anymore. Glad it's fixed.

#12 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:36 PM

@ttg4l thanks, it was raining 2 days in a row now heavily. There does not seem to be any wet areas. But I put all the panels back so I am not able to reach very deep. Maybe I won't see anything before it is a pool there... but all indicators point to a very dry car.

I have ordered an excellent wireless thermometer/humidity meter. I put one of the probes into car now :)
https://www.tfa-dost...-klima-monitor/

I have 3 probes, one in front side of building, one in rear side and one in car now.

Front 11.9C 86%

Rear 12.2C 83%

Car 15.2C 54%

It seems as the air conditioner was doing its job :) it is more dry inside the car than outside :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.