JordanMK4Rookie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Co.Durham
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:08 PM

Good Afternoon, 

I'm new to the forum but i have been looking for a while (So Hello). I currently own a MK4 1.4S (its my first car). Ihave managed to save up enough money to buy a 1.8T GTI as well as a few extra quid for a service and upgrades etc. 

I have arranged a viewing for a GTI later this week for £1100 with 85k miles and pretty clean body work i have saved up about £2000. 

So my questions are: 

What should i buy first as a upgrade as the car is currently stock? I have around £900 to play with obviously more left over cash the better

What should i be looking out for when viewing the car?

Are there anycommon issues to look out for?

Look forward for your replies 

Kind regards 

Jordan

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9789 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:13 PM

you might want to make sure before you part with your money that the car you buy doesn't need anything done to it... like rotten sills, floors or rear hatch handle... than the obvious mk4 buying advise (can be found on the forum) will be your other checks... 

after that it is up 2 you.. i would make sure that if the car already has upgrades done to it,  ask for receipts for parts used and work done... than when you've decided to buy it,

based upon the information and proof,  you need to decide what the best and most realistic options are within your budget, but the first thing on your list should be maintenance. 

other than that, no-one will be able to tell you what the best options are... 

#3 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Bora V6 4motion 2.8 24v 204PS

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:30 AM

I can only go from my own experience with MK4s, so check for the following (other than the usual mechanics/bodywork/suspension/etc):

• Interior lights work when opening *each* door.
  • Damp/wet floor carpets.
  • Damp/wet/ingress within the boot.

Electrical issues were/are the bane of my life!

As for upgrades, depends on what you're after really, you could easily spend £900 without thinking. Also depends on who is doing the upgrades, if you are sending it to a garage...they'll take a nice chunk out of that too.

I personally kept my first GTi stock, I bought an '02 plate back in 2012 with 30k on the clock. Other than the normal servicing bits, I think I only chad to change the rear wiper motor. Nice cars.

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:47 AM

After a decent length test drive, check the wheels across each axle are of a similar temperature, and that one isn't hot.

Likely a sticky caliper, especially if it's the rears.

#5 Sean161

Sean161

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Great Crosby, Lancashire, England
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUQ 180PS

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:23 PM

I think your always going to find a problem no matter how much advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.