#1 rafspeik

rafspeik

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Bora Highline TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:30 PM

Hey guys.

My Bora PD130 (ASZ) takes a long time to start. You have to crank for a long time before it fires. Sometimes before it starts you'll hear it fire erratically, but it won't start, then after another number of seconds (anything from 2 to even 10) it'll finally start. Sometimes while I'm cranking the tacho is quite erratic as well, it'll go to perhaps 2.5 or 3k, then back down.

I scanned with VCDS and have the following errors from the ECU:

2 Faults Found:
16989 - Internal Control Module
            P0605 - 35-10 - ROM Error - Intermittent
16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
            P0321 - 35-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

I was thinking I'll try replacing the engine speed sensor, but I'm worried it could be something else as there's also the ROM error.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have any pointers? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Cheers :)

#2 rafspeik

rafspeik

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:43 PM

Bump :D Any ideas, anyone?

#3 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:45 PM

Since your tacho can be erratic and you've got a fault code, I'd be inclined to just replace the engine speed sensor.

The ROM error appears when the ECU thinks there's a broken circuit/something's outside of its set parameters within the ECU itself.

There's a chance you could have a faulty ECU, but the speed sensor is a good place to start. It's not an ideal situation since you could be changing the sensor, just for it to be a faulty ECU, but the sensor would be cheaper than a new ECU.

However, I've no idea if a dodgy sensor can cause a ROM error.

#4 rafspeik

rafspeik

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

Since your tacho can be erratic and you've got a fault code, I'd be inclined to just replace the engine speed sensor.

The ROM error appears when the ECU thinks there's a broken circuit/something's outside of its set parameters within the ECU itself.

There's a chance you could have a faulty ECU, but the speed sensor is a good place to start. It's not an ideal situation since you could be changing the sensor, just for it to be a faulty ECU, but the sensor would be cheaper than a new ECU.

However, I've no idea if a dodgy sensor can cause a ROM error.

OK, will give that a go. Cheers.

#5 loginactivation

loginactivation

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • uk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

Hi,  did you solve this issue?   I had something similar and will be posting my long journey to fixing it shortly

/ m

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.