VW Bora V6 4motion Fuel Pump Buzzing? - Page 2 - Engine, Tuning and Performance - uk-mkivs

Photo

VW Bora V6 4motion Fuel Pump Buzzing?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:14 AM

Yes the fuel pressure should stay constant but... I did the upgrade on mine when I blueprinted my engine and the need for more fuel at a faster rate couldn't be supplied by the oem fuelpump... I also ran a higher pressure in the fuel rail than a standard vr6....

#32 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:17 AM

Ps cover the access panel to the pump in dynamat and the rest of the floor, not the pump... but that should be obvious
  • JustBaron likes this

#33 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Bora V6 4motion 2.8 24v 204PS

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:19 AM

Ps cover the access panel to the pump in dynamat and the rest of the floor, not the pump... but that should be obvious

Yeah, obviously.

• northpole likes this

#34 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:56 AM

Ok, so I've ordered a second-hand stock fuel pump and some Dynamat for starters.

I'd like to check the replacement pump before adding a Walbro 255 pump.

I've seen a few write ups about how to remove/replace the fuel pump, and am planning on using this as a guide:

https://www.r32oc.co...moval-diyhowto/

But are there any additional steps that need to be taken for 4motion/saddle pumps/tanks?

For example, this post mentions a siphon hose: https://www.vr6oc.co...th-old-and-new/

But I don't know where this fits into the 4motion pump/tank..

#35 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 April 2020 - 08:19 AM

If yours has it it will be connected to the pump and if it is floating about... well you need to get it between that gap in the picture... it's not rocket science mate... it needs to be submerged in the fuel and that is the way to keep it down...

#36 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:40 PM

If yours has it it will be connected to the pump and if it is floating about... well you need to get it between that gap in the picture... it's not rocket science mate... it needs to be submerged in the fuel and that is the way to keep it down...

Ok thanks man. I appreciate it's not rocket science and sorry for the basic questions, but I haven't attempted anything like this before.
Airing on the side of caution though, I'd rather know in advance rather than stop/start in the middle of the swap...

I've got the 1J0 919 051 G pump in the OS tank; and the 1J0 919 673 N suction jet pump in the NS tank.

So I am guessing that it will look something like this: 

01.jpg

02.jpg

The black hose looks like the siphon hose to the suction pump; which appears to be mounted onto the fuel pump. So when I remove the fuel pump; I just carefully detach this?
As for the brown hose; is it advised to remove this from the fuel pump end or the suction pump end?

Cheers

#37 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:53 PM

Fuel pump end... and honestly it is not as daunting as it seems to be, actually it's quite easy the hardest bit will be getting the pump with the level sensor out of the hole.

Tip here it needs a quarter turn...and try to do it when the tank is as nearer to empty... if you want to make sure you've got enough fuel in the tank until you are going to do it, just fill up a jerrycan and keep it in the car and when you fill up just fill up enough for the trip until you are going to tackle the job.

It helps immensely not having to stick your hands into the fuel... granted it is petrol but the smell will be in your skin for a day if you have to much fuel in the tank...brake cleaner helps but than you smell of that.

Also if you have access to marigold household gloves (I got black ones) use them to get it out saves you from smelling like fuel...
  • JustBaron likes this

#38 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:27 PM

Fuel pump end... and honestly it is not as daunting as it seems to be, actually it's quite easy the hardest bit will be getting the pump with the level sensor out of the hole.

Tip here it needs a quarter turn...and try to do it when the tank is as nearer to empty... if you want to make sure you've got enough fuel in the tank until you are going to do it, just fill up a jerrycan and keep it in the car and when you fill up just fill up enough for the trip until you are going to tackle the job.

It helps immensely not having to stick your hands into the fuel... granted it is petrol but the smell will be in your skin for a day if you have to much fuel in the tank...brake cleaner helps but than you smell of that.

Also if you have access to marigold household gloves (I got black ones) use them to get it out saves you from smelling like fuel...

Awesome, thanks again dude.

I think I've got enough to give it a whirl once the replacement pump arrives. 

Will let you know how it goes.

• northpole likes this

#39 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

Right, replacement pump arrived.

Removed old and installed new. A bit fiddly but no way rocket science.

New pump doesn't prime and the car does not start!

Removed new pump and installed old one just to be sure and, as expected the car starts.

Will have to send the replacement pump back and look for another one.

#40 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:00 PM

That's very annoying.

• JustBaron likes this

#41 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:16 PM

That's very annoying.

Tell me about it!

I might give it one more go later. Just to be triple sure.

#42 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:53 AM

Tried the new pump again this morning and it blew fuse 28.

Replaced fuse and old pump and its now working again.

Told the seller and he said:

"Did you check if the pump is free? Please knock it a few times, it may be a little stiff through time."

Is it worth doing this? And any tips on where/how I should knock it; and if I need to remove the pump from the housing first.

Instinct tells me I should send it back.

#43 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:05 AM

Send it back.

The only time knocking a pump works is if it's old, gummy and failing.

A good, used pump should just need to be installed and working.
  • JustBaron likes this

#44 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:29 AM

Send it back.

The only time knocking a pump works is if it's old, gummy and failing.

A good, used pump should just need to be installed and working.

That's what I thought, thanks.

#45 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:35 AM

Yes send it back it should work on arrival... if it is stuck and needs tapping, it means the inside has corroded... it should go in the bin not be sold as a replacement... because when you've finally got the pump to start working again the stuff that made it be stuck in the first place will end up clogging the fuel system down the line(filter and injectors)...
  • JustBaron likes this

#46 JustBaron

JustBaron

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:08 PM

Still waiting for the seller to accept the return so in the meantime I found another one that came with one year guarantee.

It arrived from Holland within two days and fitted it this morning.

Sounds exactly the same as my original.

So it looks like I could have been going a bit mad.

Installed the original and sent the replacement back.

Added some Dynamat Extreme tape and Dodo lining and has made a load of difference.

I guess the original issue was a bit too subjective and that my previous Bora must have had a particularly quite pump...or had so many other issues that I simply didn't notice it.

Anyway, thanks for all your tips and advice.

Baron 

• northpole likes this

#47 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:42 PM

Good to hear you've come to a conclusion. The take away is you've gained peace of mind that your pump isn't failing.
  • northpole and JustBaron like this

#48 Neutron

Neutron

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

I use Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment https://lucasoil.com...-fuel-treatment in my wake boat (dual fuel LPG/Petrol hence the need for a bit of lubricant) and tried in both my cars (Golf 4motion + Honda S2000) for both of them the biggest difference was quieter fuel pumps. Might be worth a go if it's driving you crazy - doesn't seem to need it every tank to keep the noise down either.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.