Painting 3-spoke leather steering wheel Mk4 - Detailing and Car Care Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

Painting 3-spoke leather steering wheel Mk4

MKIV-(MK4)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mur3633

mur3633

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Podgorica, Montenegro
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:50 AM

Anyone done it before?
I have 3 spoke steering wheel with blue stitch from factory(Sport Edition Golf), which is very ugly because color from leather has faded. So now I'm thinking how to restore it.

The new one is 370€ on ebay, which is too expensive and used in good condition is very hard to find because of blue stitch.

If anyone done it before, please give me some tips. Thank you!

#2 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10178 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:58 AM

get a reskin kit of aliexpress... they come with blue/red/black/yellow or green stitching.... alternative... get it from Bmac (he's uk based and buys them in bulk than sells them at a profit but you'll get it much faster) 

If you had a complete black steering wheel than yes you can repaint it... satin black is the right colour.. but with yours having the blue stitching i wouldn't recommend repainting it as you will get paint on the stitching. 

#3 mur3633

mur3633

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Podgorica, Montenegro
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 04 November 2020 - 01:15 PM

OEM leather is must, cheap aftermarket is crap and color isn't same as OEM

So recoloring was only option
DIY
7961968102aa6e1679abc11f3ba707f8.jpg

After
e8c9dee2d0a88068a39b037a92a89f99.jpg

It could be even better if I sanded even more, but it's ok.

Motip Leather Spray, 6€, 200ml.

Edited by mur3633, 04 November 2020 - 01:19 PM.

#4 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10178 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:57 AM

It'll be worn off within a few months mate i did it myself before that is why i told you to go for reskin kit of Aliexpress  and about you thinking they aren't the right colour... you are wrong the colour is spot on... I did mine and bought the real leather reskin kit (it is more expensive) and actually sold the reskin kit after i removed it when the car went to the scrappy... someone bought it for his new beetle mk1 ( he also bought my metal aircon control knobs, and the sport pedals).. 

just saying but as long as you got enough left in that rattle can you can keep re-spraying it... but soon you'll get tired of doing that, and your best solution will be the real leather reskin kit... comes with a plenty of contrasting stitch colours too so you can match that with contrasting stitched floor mats, gearstick gaiter etc or even go all out and have you your leather seats redone with the stitch colour of your choice... (but i wouldn't do that as it is bloody expensive) 

• mur3633 likes this

#5 18tjetta

18tjetta

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • West Midlands
  • Jetta S 1.4 TSI 122PS

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:26 PM

How did it turn out over time?

Sent from my YOTA 3+ using Tapatalk

#6 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10624 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:41 PM

I've painted my R32 steering wheel before. Well not paint, but applied the final top coat which is a satin laquer. It lasted at least 2 years before going shiny again .

I also have the paint too. But it didn't need any colour , just the top coat to make it not shiny looking from all the years of wear.

.the kit came from the furniture clinic.

If yours has blue stitching you will loose the blue colour as the black dye will colour everything

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#7 18tjetta

18tjetta

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • West Midlands
  • Jetta S 1.4 TSI 122PS

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:29 AM

That's good to know, lasts a while. Mine is looking tatty now. Been meaning to do it for ages but wanted to find out which lacquer was best for longevity.

Sent from my YOTA 3+ using Tapatalk

#8 northpole

northpole

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10178 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:52 AM

actually if you are the type that creme's his hands all the time than it won't last  years... I need to do that constantly and the lot lasts about 3 months yes the hand creme actually lifts it off...  So if you have that it is best to go for a real leather re-skin kit of aliexpress... they are around 30 to 40 pounds plus it adds a little more grip and style if you go for contrasting stitching... as you'll soon get annoyed at having to re-paint the steeringwheel again, 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MKIV-(MK4)

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.