Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire
  • Bora Sport 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 21 April 2020 - 02:58 PM

Hi all!

I'm Tom, from Staffordshire. I wierdly like my Bora. 

It's a 2005 Sport, PD130 ASZ. 

I got the car as a p/x against my previous bagged A4 avant (below). I knew it needed a bit of work, but always fancied one so thought why not. 

kTvqvk2.jpg

Previous Avant. Cheeky 140 TDi, Accuair Switchspeed, etc etc scene shoot. I loved it, but fancied a change. 

Now onto the Bora. Usual late sport spec, so heated seats, parking sensors, etc.

In addition to the usual stuff;

Remappppz to 180ish

V2 Airlift - not as nice as some of the Accuair stuff I've had but seems to work fine so. 

Rotiform IND-Ts

Massive straight though that sounds like shoot and looks like shoot, I've just not got round to changing it yet.

I got it with these JR rep things on, looked shoot, so sold those and rolled on these RS6 reps for a while. 

1GMrbMb.jpg

Around this time, I made some interior upgrades. Modified the clocks so they have chrome rings, needle sweep etc. Painted the interior trim glossy silver, and replaced the gearstick (which was loose for some reason) with a different one.

RtIEeg3.jpg

Dash said STOP as I was mid brake change.

Ended up buying some Rotiform IND-Ts, staggered (Can you tell I like these wheels?)

B691Zhz.jpg

VLHW9P9.jpg

Yes my wife and I have matching number plates. We are totes adorbz.

Retrofitted projectors into the headlights, not my favourite work so will be redoing these at some point.

Daily drove it 40 miles a day or so to work, fun little car. Always liked the shape, I like the interior etc. Things were going so well until one day, driving home from work, the clutch pedal went down and wouldn't come up again. Oh dear. In the middle of rush hour traffic. Oh dear oh dear. 

Ended up turning it off, putting it in first, turning it on and doing a full send into a side road until it got recovered. 

4hYxY3u.jpg

Aaaaand it's sat at the back of my driveway since then, diagnosed as Master Cylinder fault. I've got a new one of those and I'm in the process of changing that over. 

Plans for the future is to get rid of this shoot exhaust, tidy it up a bit as it's a bit tatty, make the interior more comfortable as it's a bit dated and the seats aren't too comfy, and drive it. Front bumper could do with some paint thrown at it as it's fading a bit. This seems to be the only colour that nobody is breaking too, joys.

In the meantime I've been driving my Volvo V50 (below), just can't really get along with it. So selling this will be funding the mods on the Bora and a new bathroom!

O38kvZ7.jpg

So if anyone wants a V50 let me know, happy to do a deal on a MK4 estate or a Bora  :P

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

Looks good :Y: Shame about the clutch MC and the exhaust.

Were they eBay projectors that you retrofitted?

#3 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:55 AM

Looks good :Y: Shame about the clutch MC and the exhaust.

Were they eBay projectors that you retrofitted?

Thanks man! Yeah, nothing fancy. I pulled them out of a spare pair of lights I had for my previous A4. 

Managed to get the Master Cylinder fitted on the Bora last night - what a nightmare! 

0ZhLJqe.jpg

Absolutely no room in the back of the engine bay, and A/C pipes make it a nightmare. ended up removing the EGR and partially removing the intake pipe. In doing so, I found out that the previous owner had blanked the EGR pipe, but left the EGR in place and all of the vac lines in too... Oh well, I was planning on running an EGR delete anyway so saves me a job. 

First time the Bora had seen daylight in quite a while!

nCHJrIa.jpg

Unfortunately, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bleed the clutch. So I've ordered a bleed kit, see if that helps. I'm also going to go and recheck that I'd tightened the clutch pipes up properly.

When disassembling the interior to take the clutch pedal out, I found out that the V2 controller wiring was a bit of a mess, so I've started on tidying that up a bit too. The live fused power cable was super loose too, more jobs yay. 

• ttg4l likes this

#4 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

I dare say it but that exhaust is poking out of the rear lip really nicely... I would just put an oversized decat on it and leave it... yes I to had to do the MC and it's a royal pita... no space whatsoever... but you've done it once, so if it ever needs doing again you'll do it way faster....

#5 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:53 AM

I dare say it but that exhaust is poking out of the rear lip really nicely... I would just put an oversized decat on it and leave it... yes I to had to do the MC and it's a royal pita... no space whatsoever... but you've done it once, so if it ever needs doing again you'll do it way faster....

The length is fine, the diameter is just a bit too big for my tastes. May just chop the tip off and weld a smaller one on. 

Need to put a silencer in there somewhere also, it choos like no tomorrow and in traffic, that gets a tad annoying  :wacko:

Yeah true about the MC change, once it's done it's done. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue, if not it means a new slave and I do not fancy dropping the box on this to get to it!

#6 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:08 AM

The length is fine, the diameter is just a bit too big for my tastes. May just chop the tip off and weld a smaller one on. 

Need to put a silencer in there somewhere also, it choos like no tomorrow and in traffic, that gets a tad annoying  :wacko:

Yes replace tip... or if it's a straight through get a rear silencer ( oem aftermarkets are cheap enough) than just put a nice tip on it (as most are a turned down tip) I did that on my vectra.. OEM rear box has a turndown tip, cut it straight welded a bigger tip on... still nice and quiet but looks so much better..  ( something i'll change with a straight through when the oem box rots though)

#7 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10789 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:50 AM

You sure it's not the slave that's dead?

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#8 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:06 AM

Yes replace tip... or if it's a straight through get a rear silencer ( oem aftermarkets are cheap enough) than just put a nice tip on it (as most are a turned down tip) I did that on my vectra.. OEM rear box has a turndown tip, cut it straight welded a bigger tip on... still nice and quiet but looks so much better..  ( something i'll change with a straight through when the oem box rots though)

Yeah that's the plan I think. 

You sure it's not the slave that's dead?

Hopefully not! The clutch fluid was all up the firewall near the master as opposed to where the slave is, so hopefully it's the master as opposed to the slave!

#9 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:07 AM

Whoops, multi post! 

#10 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:52 PM

So went out today and fitted the master cylinder, winner winner. Went to bleed the system, built up some pressure, and the slave went  :lol:  

SO - ordered a slave to come next day from Euros, along with some more brake fluid. So fingers crossed get it in tomorrow and we should be onto a winner!

#11 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10789 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 24 April 2020 - 07:34 AM

Typically the masters don't fail and it's always the slave! :( 

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#12 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 24 April 2020 - 04:50 PM

Today was a success! Box dropped, new slave fitted, bled and it drove around the block under it's own power for the first time in around 6 months!

Figured while it was off I'd re-retrofit my headlights. 

eMjSc4c.jpg

Ignore that Halfords filter...  :whistle:

Slave had definitely gone wrong!

lw8fHjF.jpg

And shiny new one fitted.

z8XWjB7.jpg

Had a good look under the car when I was there, it's had an OEM VW clutch at some point in it's life which was a good sign (looked too new to be the original), everything else looked decent. 

Took it for a spin around the block, V2 (surprisingly) working fine still, reminded I deffo needed to change that straight through. Now I know it works, got to re-fit all the interior, give it a good scrub and get that Volvo sold!

#13 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10789 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:15 PM

V2 (surprisingly) working fine still

This hahaha.

• northpole likes this

#14 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:04 AM

This hahaha.

yeah it made me laugh too. 

#15 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 25 April 2020 - 06:36 PM

Genuinely surprised, it's even sat over winter and the manifold hasn't shoot itself so result!

Got it out today and refit all of the interior trim, and gave it fresh service. Popped on a proper EGR delete pipe, just need to get a new 90 degree elbow for the intake as the original pipe doesnt fit. 

eh9D3dZ.jpg

I've also got to pick up a new air intake pipe as it's rubbed at some point. Thought I'd be able to find an ally one but nothing seems to be out there!

Possibly sorted a Miltek backbox with a downturn tip, which should quieten things down a bit. 

• northpole likes this

#16 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 April 2020 - 09:36 AM

i would replace those vacuum lines with silicone vacuum lines asap... it just eliminates the chance of vacuum leaks unlike the oem rubber vacuum lines... and the stuff is cheap enough 5 meters sets you back less than a tenner (eBay it) 3mm ID or 4mm ID I always go for 3mm ID as the silicone vacuum pipes stretch far enough and it eliminates the need for clamps... you'll just have to lubricate the connectors a bit (soapy water, spit, penetrating oil, baby oil etc etc) 

#17 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 01 May 2020 - 09:16 AM

Yeah vac line replacement is on the list of things to do. 

So I've had a few goodies arrive this week for the Bora - replacement door handles as the wooden ones in this are shagged beyond belief - gone plain black as I think it looks better, new a pillars as the fabric is coming off my ones, a 90 degree silicone hose for the EGR delete, and a new airbox cover so I can get rid of that cone. 

Deposit has been taken for the Volvo so that should be going today. Means I can get the Bora out properly this weekend, get the insurance swapped over and get it cleaned up and back into daily use!

Next up, sort out that exhaust  :whistle:

• northpole likes this

#18 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

you could always put a cherry-bomb on but they are resonators! meaning whatever the noise is now it'll probably be a lot louder, but it'll be a deep bass tone... that is if that's your thing... if not go oem (aftermarket cheapy like Klarius) and cut the down turned pipe of and weld on a nice tip. that means you don't have to drive around with a notched rear bumper lip ;)

and the reason why i mention the cherry-bomb is because they are dirt cheap...  between 25 and 35 pounds new (last number is with a universal hanger, but they do stop the need for a nice exhaust tip)

#19 TGDTDI

TGDTDI

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Essex
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:31 AM

northpole,did i get that completely wrong or can a cherrybomb actually make the exhaust louder ?

#20 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:19 AM

northpole,did i get that completely wrong or can a cherrybomb actually make the exhaust louder ?

yes it can and over time it'll be louder as it chances the exhaust note to be more hollow (resonator box)... FYI they are purposely filled with a fiberglass damping material that burns away overtime and on a turbo-ed car with no cat that process will be a matter of days turning it in to a non damping resonator box... making the exhaust note even deeper...  be warned some places have noise pollution sensors and with a straight through and a cherry-bomb exhaust rear silencer you are probably going past the limit... doesn't have to, but if you have the setup i just described don't even think about a cherry-bomb... 

#21 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:28 PM

Volvo was collected Friday, swapped the insurance etc over and we are now back in business. Had the maiden voyage today!

Q6iz5ga.jpg

rk5tKa9.jpg

Few niggles to sort out - that front fitment is dire, so need to space them out a tad and get some camber plates in there. Ran the car through Vagcom and it needs a pair of ABS sensors as its throwing up errors, and I've got to give it a bloody good clean. 

Felt good to be back out in it again! 

@northpole - I'm looking to quiet the exhaust down a bit, not make it louder!  :D

#22 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:13 AM

Volvo was collected Friday, swapped the insurance etc over and we are now back in business. Had the maiden voyage today!

Q6iz5ga.jpg

rk5tKa9.jpg

Few niggles to sort out - that front fitment is dire, so need to space them out a tad and get some camber plates in there. Ran the car through Vagcom and it needs a pair of ABS sensors as its throwing up errors, and I've got to give it a bloody good clean. 

Felt good to be back out in it again! 

@northpole - I'm looking to quiet the exhaust down a bit, not make it louder!  :D

lol i know i was trying to give you some info on the cherrybomb's so you don't make the mistake of getting one... i made that mistake years ago... exhaust was so damn loud my wife could here me come home from 5 blocks away... and this was in a city, with loads of other traffic all the time... in the end i removed it and replaced it with a duplex sport exhaust and that was a lot quieter (they were resonator types also)... 

basically i've never had a resonator box that was louder than the cherrybomb... it's the deeper note that carries further and makes them louder than any other backbox... 

also you don't want the jap type rearboxes because they're also resonators, the bigger the bore the deeper the note... 

you want a non resonator type rearbox... always check that if you go for a sport rearbox... 

but the cheapest option is aftermarket oem replacement (non resonator by default) cut of the  downturn pipe and weld on a nice exhaust tip. 

#23 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:02 PM

So, more work on the Bora today. 

New rear pads and disks, fitted Anni pedals and R32 interior trim. 

As the brakes were being changed, noticed that one of the wheel bearings was shot. So I've ordered two rear wheel bearings to replace, as well as the ABS sensors to go with it. 

I've also bought a replacement bottom centre console as my one is a bit broken! 

It's getting there!

#24 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:32 AM

just sort that rearbox first you can drive silently with a proper rearbox and a damaged midconsole... ( yeah i want that silencer delete pipe  :lol-lol:  :lol-lol:  :lol-lol:

#25 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:23 PM

So, few little updates. 

Waiting for the bearings to turn up, had a few little deliveries. But first, washed it for the first time in around 6 months!

9bQ8pQ9.png

Then got around to doing some interior stuff. R32 brushed trim, and new center console fitted as the last one had split. Also fitted beetle headrests because I think they look cooler ha. 

5SyJY3K.jpg

Removed the ashtray as it had a dodgy controller mount in there before. Covered in fake suede shoot, it was nasty after being in there for so long. I've ordered a new ashtray, going to slot it in there whilst retaining the cigarette lighter. Should be neater. 

Next up is to get the bearings fitted. 

#26 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10789 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:26 PM

It fits perfectly if you remove the actual ashtray.

I bought silcone moulding stuff but it ended up leaching in to the controller so I'd remove the actual electronics next time haha!

#27 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:36 PM

It fits perfectly if you remove the actual ashtray.

I bought silcone moulding stuff but it ended up leaching in to the controller so I'd remove the actual electronics next time haha!

Yeah I'd seen it was a pretty good fit when researching where to put it. The only ballache is going to be pulling apart the interior trim where the cable had been ran initially. Why didn't they make it so you could unplug the wire from the controller side  :P

#28 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10789 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

They did?  It's got a small plug 4 inches from the controller.

#29 Txmski

Txmski

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Staffordshire

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:19 PM

Ah see for some reason, my plug is about 2 foot down the line. And its threaded through the dash support and under the side trims. 

#30 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9940 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:49 AM

that controller actually looks like an airbag controller... was the car on airbags previously? if yes i would take the complete carpet out and make sure the holes are all properly bunged or welded shut and treated right so it won't rust anytime soon. 

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.