[Mk5 Golf] 2.0 TDI 140 - fuel filter stuck in housing & now broken. - TDI & Diesel Forum - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk5 Golf

2.0 TDI 140 - fuel filter stuck in housing & now broken.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NotHimAgain

NotHimAgain

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:22 PM

I've changed this filter before 2 years ago. If memory serves, it was a bit firm back then but I don't remember grumbling too much about getting it out. I'm crap with mechanics but even I was able to get it done.

Today, 25 months on I came to do it again & the damn thing was stuck. The housing looks like this:

Su8ONOf.jpg

It's the one with the screw in the centre of the cap. Now it was starting to round off so i didn't bother unscrewing it. I don't know if this will have made any difference to this issue or not.

I popped off the cap, it was more filled than i remember from last time but i can't be 100% certain on that.

I tried to remove the fuel filter and it was a no go. I used a flat head to pry it and still no go. I used a set of adjustables to try and grip light enough and twist and pull and still no go. Back to the hand but this time using a cloth to help grip and still no go. Two screwdrivers under the plastic lips and still no go.

In the end i broke the plastic ring off as shown in this image:

Xt8b23u.jpg

So i gave up and put it back together.

How on earth do i get the damn thing out and why is it likely to be sticking so bad? I was pulling on the filter so hard it just lifted the housing straight up off the brackets and away we went.

#2 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4507 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:10 PM

The Centre screw is just an air bleed so not in of concern. I've changed my filter 4 times and never even used it

If the car is parked level the fuel should be full to the top of the canister..
Your problem with the filter removal is a mystery to me, never had it stick on mine at all. There's no fasteners it should be a push fit sandwiched between the base and lid.
If I'm reading correctly it sounds like the broken off part is in the bottom of the canister. I'd suggest you remove the canister from the car, flush it with soapy water to get rid of any fuel and get a hot air gun on it to soften the plastic and try pulling with some long nose pliers or prising with a flat screwdriver to see if that shifts it

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

#3 NotHimAgain

NotHimAgain

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:30 PM

The Centre screw is just an air bleed so not in of concern. I've changed my filter 4 times and never even used it

If the car is parked level the fuel should be full to the top of the canister..
Your problem with the filter removal is a mystery to me, never had it stick on mine at all. There's no fasteners it should be a push fit sandwiched between the base and lid.
If I'm reading correctly it sounds like the broken off part is in the bottom of the canister. I'd suggest you remove the canister from the car, flush it with soapy water to get rid of any fuel and get a hot air gun on it to soften the plastic and try pulling with some long nose pliers or prising with a flat screwdriver to see if that shifts it

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

In that case then i've highlighted the wrong part of the filter in the image. If you're thinking the snapped off bit is in the base (because i'm not quite sure how i'd even know that had happened, unless the base of the canister was see through??) then the bit that has snapped off is the similar bit but at the opposite end.

In short, it's the plastic round thing that the rubber 'knuckle duster' type thing is in the middle of ... at the top of the filter.

The filter itself does seem to bob up and down, it's not stuck as in it wont move a little but it just refuses to come out. It's like the canister just wont let go of it.

Thinking about it ... since the canister can come out and the actual body of the canister doesn't actually connect to anything .... what about pouring out the diesel and then just 'having at' the filter itself. Jab whatever i can find in to it and rag the hell out of it? Hammer a flat head down the centre and try to pry it out? God knows i'm just throwing wild ideas right now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk5 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.