[Mk5 Golf] Reading conflicting stories about coolant change. Advice? - Engine, Tuning and Performance - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk5 Golf

Reading conflicting stories about coolant change. Advice?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NotHimAgain

NotHimAgain

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:15 AM

I was supposed to get round to doing the coolant change on my sisters car a year or so ago but she could never free up the car when i had time to do it so it just never happened. As we're not getting out and about the same currently I was going to get it done. I'd forgotten whatever i'd previously read about it so was trying to look in to it a bit.

The car is a 2005 2.0 TDI 140bhp. That much is a certain. I think the engine code is AZD. I remember there being a Z in it and seeing someone here mention AZD rang bells.

1) I've been told the capacity is 4.something litres all the way to 6.2 litres and then 6.5 litres. I was going to go with a 50:50 mix, put in 50% G13 and then top up appropriately. I could go 1 carton G13 followed by 1 carton water and keep alternating but I was just wondering what the capacity was.

2) Here's one i read .... you need to use distilled water when topping your G13 up.

Is this correct? As if so then i can't go ahead until i get some. Is regular tap water not fine?

In case it makes a difference then the water here is relatively soft i suppose. It's certainly not a hard water area like London.

3) I read that not all these cars have a drain off tap. I suppose i'll find out when i get there but i wont be there until i know the answers to 1 & 2 so i may as well ask this - is this engine supposed to have a drain off tap or is the only way to just remove the rad hose and have it all gush out?

#2 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10453 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:28 PM

I suppose if you're gonna flush it then you might aswell use distilled water .

U can buy it from petrol stations so it's not really a lock down issue as such and it's cheap.

I would probably flush with tap water though a few times.

Not sure how much coolant it holds. Is that info in the back of the owner manual ?

I would top up a bottle of coolant and a bottle of water at a time. 50 50 ish mix is enough. Doesn't have to be massively procise?!

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#3 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1475 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:32 PM

I always buy it ready mixed..
No faffing with distilled water and ratios.
  • ttg4l likes this

#4 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4507 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:32 PM

I was supposed to get round to doing the coolant change on my sisters car a year or so ago but she could never free up the car when i had time to do it so it just never happened. As we're not getting out and about the same currently I was going to get it done. I'd forgotten whatever i'd previously read about it so was trying to look in to it a bit.

The car is a 2005 2.0 TDI 140bhp. That much is a certain. I think the engine code is AZD. I remember there being a Z in it and seeing someone here mention AZD rang bells.

1) I've been told the capacity is 4.something litres all the way to 6.2 litres and then 6.5 litres. I was going to go with a 50:50 mix, put in 50% G13 and then top up appropriately. I could go 1 carton G13 followed by 1 carton water and keep alternating but I was just wondering what the capacity was.

2) Here's one i read .... you need to use distilled water when topping your G13 up.
Is this correct? As if so then i can't go ahead until i get some. Is regular tap water not fine?
In case it makes a difference then the water here is relatively soft i suppose. It's certainly not a hard water area like London.

3) I read that not all these cars have a drain off tap. I suppose i'll find out when i get there but i wont be there until i know the answers to 1 & 2 so i may as well ask this - is this engine supposed to have a drain off tap or is the only way to just remove the rad hose and have it all gush out?

I've a 07 Mk5 1.9tdi that I've had for nine and a half years and I changed coolant about two and a half years ago. It still had the original factory G12 bright, crystal clear, no sediment and never been topped up so there was no pressing reason yo change other than being nearly 10yo. As it was still factory bright pink with no cloudiness or deposits I decided there was no need for a system flush. Decided on the new G13 better and backward compatible. Also thought the purple was a bit snazzy !

1) read up and factory fill was about 5.5litres but a post said that you end up with over half a litre in the cabin heater matrix do under 5 for a refill.
2) looked at both concentrate and readymix (50:50). You do need distilled even if in a soft water area (although many don't bother) as the water chemistry can still cause problems. I'd need 3 litre of concentrate if I went that route so when I worked out the cost there wasn't much difference in price so decided ready mix for ease. Spotted that ECP did their own brandTriple QX G13 compliant ready mix and it was on offer so bought that.
3) early cars did have a tap located in the passenger side bottom hose behind the radiator. Later cars didn't have it, so it's either there or not. It's not engine related just age.
If no tap the hoses have a quick fit connector and in theory you just pull off the metal "C" clip that holds it in place and pull. Sadly more just didn't want to know despite prodding poking and mole grips. As the connector on the radiator was plastic and I didn't want to risk snapping it I checked the chickened out, traced the hose back a foot or so and disconnected the compression clip and hose. Did get most into a washing up bowl slid under and flushed the rest with water.

Reconnected the hose, topped up to the mark on the tank and then started the engine (cold) for a minute to flush and trapped air (nothing to speak of) turned off and just added a splash so it was a hair off minimum and job done. Untouched since except second winter when it was sub zero for a few days and the coolant light came on. Just added half a cup of the leftover Premix I had left and fine since.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
  • Evil likes this

#5 NotHimAgain

NotHimAgain

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:30 AM

I took a look at it myself and in the end thought i wasn't going to tackle it. I've done it on my own car before as it looked easy enough but wasn't about to tackle it on my sisters Golf.

And as it only cost £15 for her mechanic to do it, i'm glad i didn't bother.

Although pretty stupidly we've had a look and i don't think the cambelt / water pump has been touched in her ownership which must be 3-4 years now.

I think it's generally advised to do the water pump when doing the cambelt which makes me ask the question - does all the coolant get dumped out in this process or do you only lose a bit? Basically will she have just had her coolant changed for absolutely no reason whatsoever if she gets the cambelt and water pump done?

Obviously if it needs doing then it needs doing. Just wonder if we've ballsed it up a bit.

#6 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

actually no you didn't balls up, it can be drained out, and re-used... but it would've been easier to do it all in one go. And for future reference next time just buy 7 litres premixed and just fill it up until it is full, whatever is left you can keep for top up.. would be either  a litre or half a litre... that is what i do it's always handy to have some spare just in case. you need to top up again. 

#7 NotHimAgain

NotHimAgain

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:13 PM

Where do you get it premixed?

Somewhere like https://www.eurocarp....com/search/G13 is that the right stuff?

#8 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:40 PM

I use the ready mixed TripleQX stuff, although in the G12 variety for my MK4. Never had a problem with it, used it every time I've needed to dump the coolant for whatever reason.
  • NotHimAgain likes this

#9 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4507 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:50 AM

Where do you get it premixed?

Somewhere like https://www.eurocarp....com/search/G13 is that the right stuff?

That's exactly what i used two and a half years ago, no issues.
For best prices just make sure that you sign up for their newsletter or check online for the latest discount codes and it's worth checking their ebay shop too as that sometimes undercuts the code

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
  • NotHimAgain likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk5 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.