#1 jussy

jussy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf V S 2.0 SDI 75PS

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:41 PM

Anyone have a recommendation for led headlight bulbs for my mk6, it has the normal halogen h7 bulbs.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

#2 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10410 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

If u want more light on the road, then don't bother with led . Even the very best and most expensive led bulbs do not produce as much light as halogen.

I have already bought some morimoto 2stroke which were £100

They are a nice colour. And the cut off is quite sharp even in a halogen headlamp , but

The biggest but is that led bulbs leave a very big dead patch in front of the car .

A big black hole of no light.

Halogens still out perform in this respect by far!

So if u want led increased amount of light, then don't bother with led. It's still not advanced enough and the old xenon retrofit kits off eBay still produce much more usable light , but they still produce too much uncontrolled glare if used in wrong headlamps

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#3 jussy

jussy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf V S 2.0 SDI 75PS

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:34 PM

If u want more light on the road, then don't bother with led . Even the very best and most expensive led bulbs do not produce as much light as halogen.

I have already bought some morimoto 2stroke which were £100

They are a nice colour. And the cut off is quite sharp even in a halogen headlamp , but

The biggest but is that led bulbs leave a very big dead patch in front of the car .

A big black hole of no light.

Halogens still out perform in this respect by far!

So if u want led increased amount of light, then don't bother with led. It's still not advanced enough and the old xenon retrofit kits off eBay still produce much more usable light , but they still produce too much uncontrolled glare if used in wrong headlamps

Thank you for your reply, looks like I'll be sticking with the halogen bulbs for now. I've always liked the bright white look of the leds, makes the car look more modern in my opinion, but I'm not a fan of blinding people unlike the other muppets on the road loool.

#4 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10410 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:14 PM

Yep, we need to wait for led design to evolve a bit more.

Even though they are bright and produce a nice colour , they still don't have the correct light 'cast' or pattern. It's no use at the moment.

Don't be fooled by seeing those reviews were they shine the light against a wall to show you the cut off and peak brightness of the 'hot spot'.

None of those reviews show you the light shone onto the road and therefore not showing you the dead spots. They are so bad and most of the lightbulb reviews on YouTube are the same...

No one shows you what they look like on the road .

#5 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:28 PM

You could try Philips Racing Vision or Diamond Vision if you wanted a colder colour temperature halogen bulb. Cheaper than decent LEDs too.

#6 jussy

jussy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf V S 2.0 SDI 75PS

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:48 PM

You could try Philips Racing Vision or Diamond Vision if you wanted a colder colour temperature halogen bulb. Cheaper than decent LEDs too.

I will have a look into them thank you.

#7 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10410 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:42 PM

I switched to the Philips racing vision and have been really pleased with them. Very bright , good light output
  • jussy and ttg4l like this

#8 mur3633

mur3633

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Podgorica, Montenegro
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 13 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

Try with 4300k H7R HIDs.

#9 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9288 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:32 PM

if you want to see how the led lights shine in front of the cars i suggest you look at Wish.com that is the only place that shows you what the lightout put of the leds actually is,  i've seen them of the brand novsight h7 but they are always in projector headlights... so not really a comparison for your mk4 reflector housing and although they seem to not have a dead spot  in front of the car, the guys with insignia's love them as they light up the road better for some stupid reason... but here we go again.. insignia's have projectors in them... so no comparison, unless you got Depo projector headlights... 

and from what i've read they aren't the best in reflector housings anyway... i did order myself a set of Wish.com but they'll arrive in month or so (i couldn't resist, i bought two sets in a flash deal for the sum of 7 pounds including delivery) will see how they fair when they show up ( they'll go into my daily Vauxhall Vectra C as they are known for their poor light output, and yes i have a projector on the main beam, reflector for high beam... will see how it'll be once they arrive) 

#10 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10410 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:43 PM

7 pounds for led bulbs. They'll be dog Shi without any doubt.

The powerful ones are the ones that have the outboard ballast things, you're looking at closer to £100. And they still all suck for output compared to xenon and a lot of the time Vs a decent halogen bulb

#11 jussy

jussy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf V S 2.0 SDI 75PS

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

7 pounds for led bulbs. They'll be dog Shi without any doubt.

The powerful ones are the ones that have the outboard ballast things, you're looking at closer to £100. And they still all suck for output compared to xenon and a lot of the time Vs a decent halogen bulb

I agree bud, nothing good comes from wish (what I've heard) I've not used the site personally, tbf I would love to completely change the headlights to the GTD xenon ones but I can't see myself spending around £500+ on them.

#12 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1450 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:55 PM

I agree bud, nothing good comes from wish (what I've heard) I've not used the site personally

As someone who has used the site quite a lot, plenty of good stuff comes from Wish.

#13 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9288 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

Lol you do know that Novsight and Nighteyes are the same company?  i shall see what they'll be like and if they are shoot than they'll be chucked in the bin... 

I still got my HID kit in the veccy and if it wasn't or me noticing that it takes them longer to get to their full brightness i wouldn't even consider replacing the lot..and for the same money i can't even get good halogenbulbs...  

but check this out and judge for yourself it's the same brand i got but i got the latest model in H7 

ps again both that car and my car main beams are projectors so in a reflector housing i wonder what they'll be like (that is why i got 2 sets)... but i'm convinced they'll be just fine in the projectors... 

• Evil likes this

#14 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10410 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:29 AM

Those photos look good. The light cast seems good too, no dead spots and good cut off. Minimal glare. Good luck if they come out that good

#15 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9288 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:44 AM

The only maybe I have is they might strobe as the vectra has quite an intrusive light bulb check... other than that I'm not too fussed.. because I can always put in some resistors.. 

And about the price... it was a flash deal, when you logon everyday even if you aren't buying all of a sudden you get the chance to pickup stuff you regularly look at at super discounts, the normal price of that set is a good old 110 pounds yet the flash deal popped up at the lowest i had seen it in 5 months... hence why i couldn't resist and went ahead and ordered and paid for it with in a few seconds... but from previous deliveries from china it can take up to 5 weeks before you get anything and right now with the pandemic the time can easily double... but we shall see.. 2 sets at that price with shipping just made me laugh... and as i said before, the price is just me looking at stuff for a long time, but never committing to buying and than boom, a super offer... yeah i jumped on it as i can't even buy decent halogen bulbs for that price. 

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.