kerluti

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Barnsley
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 AJM 115PS

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:35 AM

Hi guys,
Thought I'd ask you lot before I start throwing money around trying to get to the bottom of this.
I know this has been asked numerous times but none of the symptoms of other posters matched mine exactly.

Clutch pedal stops around an inch from the top and then will spring up a few seconds later. Never drops to the bottom.
If left overnight, sometimes, you'll have to lift the pedal to disengage/engage the gear. Fine after this.
Around three months ago the pedal was squeaking like mad for around a week and then just stopped.
Pedal is fine, the master cylinder pushrod hasn't broken through.

Changes gear fine when driving, no issues whatsoever. Never had it slip. Picks up speed fine.
Pulling away from lights/junction etc - you couldn't spin the wheels if you tried! Feels like the clutch is almost at the top and not responding fast enough. However if you're parked and you lift the clutch, the bite engages around a third of the way up.

I don't seem to have lost any fluid.

Plastic white pushrod clip seems to be slightly worn.. A few dusting of white plastic around the rod. Could this cause these issues though.
I'll staft by replacing that.

Any suggestions appreciated, kinda hoping it's not the slave as I k ow that's inside the box.

Thanks
Chloe

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9257 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:46 AM

Pedal is slowly breaking the little metal plate that holds the spring.... look it up easiest solution is to replace it... or if you've got welding equipment weld it back in place.... it still needs to come off though... and that is a pita.

#3 kerluti

kerluti

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Barnsley

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:57 AM

Thanks... Ill check this 👍 got welding gear
I was too busy looking at the master cylinder and the pushrod.

#4 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10430 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:11 AM

The 6 speeds have a damper on the bulkhead, could it be that?

• northpole likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#5 rxs_tdi

rxs_tdi

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:51 AM

Agree with Northpole - that is just what mine did before it broke and left me stranded.

Cheap fix if you catch it before it breaks but a bit of a PITA to do!

#6 kerluti

kerluti

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Barnsley

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:56 AM

Cheers everyone..
Had a good look last night.
Looks like the return spring has moved about 1/2 inch to the right. 👍 Will attempt at the weekend

#7 Longboarder

Longboarder

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Plymouth
  • Bora Highline TDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:43 AM

Had this happen in a Mk1 golf years ago. Volkswagen genetic fault? :D

#8 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9257 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:03 AM

Had this happen in a Mk1 golf years ago. Volkswagen genetic fault? :D

not really they just spot welded the little plate in place... on the mk2 and the mk3 that was properly welded through maybe they tried to save a few pennies as we all know the mk4 was so expensive that when they started selling them they actually lost money the first year... so it doesn't surprise me that they went for that (saving a penny on the welding and on some other little bits) little did they know they created another favourite especially if you look around while driving... you see more mk4's still running around in really good condition than you see mk4 sheds. even now i still see more mk4's than mk5's although i see loads of mk6's and mk7's rrunning around  

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.