Problem with driver side fog light - MkV (Mk5) Golf, Golf Plus & Jetta - uk-mkivs

Photo

Problem with driver side fog light

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mario MKV

Mario MKV

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Tirane Albania
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS DSG

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:47 AM

Hello,
I'm having issues with driver side fog light on my Golf Mk5 GT tdi. Passenger side works perfectly fine but driver side won't. I tested with voltmeter and when bulb is out it shows 12v and when i place bulb shows 1.5v. Bulbs are new. Can you help me?
Thanks,

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9288 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

Problem usually is a corroded ground so either the complete foglight housing needs replacing or the ground wire is the problem
  • Mario MKV likes this

#3 Mario MKV

Mario MKV

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Tirane Albania

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for reply,

I tried with other cable ground but still same problem. i tested the cables and they seems ok,also and 30 Fuse. Fog light housing are new 

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:12 AM

There's high resistance in the circuit somewhere.

Use a multimeter to check for continuity between power and ground, and for resistance on the power wire from the fuse box to the plug.

If you do see high resistance on the power wire, then follow it back from the plug to the next junction and check resistance again between that junction and the fuse box. Keep repeating this for each section of the power wire until you no longer see high resistance. The section with high resistance is the culprit.
  • Mario MKV likes this

#5 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10446 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:24 AM

Both fogs are grounded together and go to a common ground near the fog wiring harness.

Power is supplied via. pin 2 of the 8 pin connector near the left headlight (for the left fog).  Pin 3 of the 8 pin connector supplies the right fog.  Cables then go back to the onboard supply unit and have no fuse.

• Mario MKV likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#6 Mario MKV

Mario MKV

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Tirane Albania

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

After 2 days searching and working for my drivers side fog light, i found the problem. J519 CECM was the problem. After changing that module, all fog lights are working. 

Thanks all for response

• northpole likes this

#7 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10446 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:49 AM

Telt ye

• Mario MKV likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.