#1 maxitrol

maxitrol

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6199 posts
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:48 PM

Been looking at getting it installed to look over the drive so am after night vision also but don't want to be paying a fortune for it

#2 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:14 AM

have a look here, get your hardware cheap meaning buy ready made infrared outdoor/indoor IP camera's from china...or make your own with either a RaspberryPi or Arduinio with an added infrared camera than set them up so they overlook your drive but note they won't be able to be mounted outside so they'll have to be  inside behind a window overlooking the area you want... 

basically all you need is a laptop, a router, ip infrared camera('s)and some affinity with running linux... alternatively there is this windows freeware called ispy that you could run of a windows laptop... only downside to windows is how it manages it's memory so be prepared to having to restart it every  2 days ( and with that the connection to your camera's and router meaning the lot will have to be restarted every 2 days... unless you install it on a beefy desktop/server with a serious amount of memory and loads of HDD space..  

I have mine setup with linux and utilised the raspberryPi with an infrared camera... mainly because of the hardware i used to do the DVR recording (a very old pentium laptop with but with 16gb memory an upgraded 500gb hdd...  It runs without any user intervention needed because i set it up with it's separate not router that isn't connected to internet.. so no-one can hack into it to stop the recordings easily hack into it, without being in range of the wireless connection... and where i live i would have noticed them way before they manage to get onto that network...  but if you really want to rule that out, you'll need to hardwire your camera's but i didn't do that because i didn't want cables running everywhere... 

the complete setup cost me less than 70 pounds because i had most of the stuff i just bought the raspberryPI-zero's and made my own small IP-camera's... but you do need to have some linux knowledge... 

If you don't well you can always buy IP infrared camera's from china plus to that is you can set them up outside, minus is people will have easier access to them to disable them... up to you... i think my setup is quite safe and invisible... like i said the raspberry PI camera's are setup behind my windows but they are so tiny if you don't know they are there you won't even notice them... nd that even goes for people standing right infront of them. 

PS infrared camera's have one nasty thing to them though greens are less green.. so i have a mixture of camera's (infrared and normal camera's)to get both nigh and daytime with the right colours and about 4 different view angles of the same area... that said the software packages allow for a lot of camera's... but i think the windows one is limited to 8.  

#3 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9327 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:39 AM

I've ran all sorts and by far Hikvision are the best.

I bought an 8 camera box and have slowly bought/improved the cameras.

The box costs around £180 without a hard disk and the cameras I buy are around the £140 mark. Expensive I know but they are worth it.

Do not just go for biggest M pixel cameras, Hikvision have a "darkfighter" lite range (may be called something else now and these are fantastic in low light).

I also have two IR emiiters, from Amazon, they are fantastic. It allows you to turn off the inbuilt IR flooding in the cameras. If you run cameras with internal IR turned on you will get spider hell!

No amount of SpiderX (aerosol) solves the issue. In the summer you will be cleaning the cameras daily or weekly if you have inbuilt IR turned on.

So, I have a mix of 3MP darkfighter lites, and some 4MP standards. If I were buying now I think there are 4MP darkfighters and 8MP standards. It's good to mix so you get ultimate definition during the day with the 8MP and the darkfighters 4MP do the night time work.

This is my NVR (beware noisy internal fans, I cut the lid/top and fitted a 120mm thermaltake running at 8V - silent). All other fans removed inc one in PSU).

https://www.cctvtek....s-ds7608nik28p/

These are your darkfighters: -

https://www.cctvtek....ighter-cameras/

The more 'standard range" inc darkfighters: -

https://www.cctvtek....bullet-cameras/

These are the IR illuminators I use: -

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Hikvision also have a cheaper range, "Hilook" which is worth checking out, they are just plastic casings rather than alloy... significantly cheaper but the internals are the same IIRC.

I could upload a few pics if you wanted to show night time performance.

:Y:

When buying cameras also consider the field of view, 2.8 is typical and captures a broad field. 4 and 6 'zoom' in (different lenses). Youtube is good for seeing this effect with CCTV. I have only 2.8s, unless you have a specific need to focus on a shed or something... then consider 4 or 6.

• northpole likes this

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

I've ran all sorts and by far Hikvision are the best.

I actually started using my setup because i used to run the same software (Zoneminder) for a company i worked for, and this company not only ran CCTV for themself but also remotely connected to a few other companies that paid them for the cctv surveillance... 

the hardware camera's they used onsite where hardwired professional grade, but the ones from the other companies where ip-based... but all professional grade camera's, meaning remote zoom, swivel and tilt... the software does it all... 

But if you don't have any linux skills i suggest you get a CCTV setup like @NooNoo has... it's unbox, hang camera's plug the lot into a power source and off you go.  

and if you really want to do it cheaply: just get a car dash-cam unit with infrared and motion detection, stick it on a window inside overlooking the area you want and set it on overwrite when the card is full... ( one guy in my street has done that overlooking his driveway, car adaptor plugged into a 110v to 12v  adaptor it is a really cheap way of having video surveillance) 

• NooNoo likes this

#5 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9327 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:00 AM

FeiGG04.jpg

I will add, it is PITCH black out in my garden to the human eye. The long shadows are from the IR illuminator under the soffit (about 10m away at this point).

My CCTV has been used in 3 burglaries now by police, one violent where baseball bats and crowbars were used on a mk4!

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#6 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9327 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:04 AM

4MP standard during the day...

itMsU8l.jpg

#7 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9327 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:13 AM

I use an app on my phone called iVMS-4500 for remote access. Even does remote playback.

I did integrate it with my Kodi boxes at one point, so I could access on the TVs but that function has 'rotted', not maintained it.

Now, I have a 4g internet connection via '3' I have to run a non-standard APN so I could get DDNS to work (with my old Plusnet ADSL I had a static IP).

So I use '3internet' not three.co.uk.

If you use three.co.uk the IP you get is the cell tower IP, usually starts with a 10.X.X.X and DDNS will NOT work. Use '3internet' and you get your genuine IP exit point (and DDNS works).

#8 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9327 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

Further reasons for IR illumination!

As I mentioned spiders are an issue on the cameras, for two reasons.

• There is warmth! The IR LEDs usually output about 6W, the camera fronts are cosy in the winter (under the sun shade)
  • Flying insects are attracted to the IR and the spiders have a continuous supply of victims to eat. 

The problem with the second point is cameras are usually set to record/trigger when MOTION is set.

Honestly, with inbuilt IR turned on in the summer all you get is a green continuous 'sausage' of recorded video as insects trigger/retrigger the motion setting.

With illuminators, the insects are attracted away from the cameras (internal IR set to off), so you only get valid recorded motion content. Very useful if having to back trace an event like a break in.

I actually have caught burglers staking out local houses prior to breaking in because I don't have hours and hours of footage to wade through, just the motion stuff.

• northpole likes this

#9 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9287 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:10 PM

that is what i use on mine motion activated video (with audio) only overwrite (40gb set cache) when full... but save motion stuff for 7 days... but can extend or change when i want to... I don't have remote access anymore though because i decided to run it separate from my normal internet connection... it can be done easily though all i need to do is plug in a cable to that laptop that does the CCTV stuff and run it to my internet router... I only do this when i'm going away for a long time...  don't even have to run an app or anything... can use several ways like directly going to the cctv server page ( shows the live and recorded stuff) or use a remote app like teamviewer... to take over the linux machine... 

ergo i see both options work equally as good... About the infrared RaspberryPi-zero camera, i don't have the spider problem... because, it's behind double glazing and they can't get to the camera's how i've set them up... the lenses are in an air-tight setup to the glass and because it has a flat cable the PI case is out of view... the only thing you can see from the outside is a little black spot on the window if you know where to look... 

Although i do like your infrared emitter I might just get one and turn off the infrared on the raspberry-Pi zero.. meaning the green on my night camera's will be the same as my day camera's... Yeah the raspberri-PI infrared camera's are 8mp full colour by the way so even if it is pitch black they show colours...but where i live now it's a lot brighter... as all the houses have flood camera's on all night.. also i record the lot in HD ( and i can scale up to Ultra HD but i won't that just means i'll need more space setup as a buffer because the saved footage will be 4 times bigger.. 

• NooNoo likes this

#10 maxitrol

maxitrol

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6199 posts
  • Golf V GT TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:27 PM

Some excellent advice and will look more into it

#11 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10445 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:10 AM

Spot on advice NooNoo!  I'd like to be putting something like this in our unit but we have no internet so a dongle might have to suffice.  How does the SMS options work?

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.