Droning/humming between 40 and 70 mph - MkV (Mk5) Golf, Golf Plus & Jetta - uk-mkivs

Photo

Droning/humming between 40 and 70 mph

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 celtjon

celtjon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Hereford
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:53 AM

We have an 07 1.9tdi which makes a droning noise between 40 and 70 mph. Seems to be related to road speed rather than engine RPM. Noise will ocurr regardless of selected gear and doesn't diminish turning left or right. The noise appears to be coming from the front. Both front wheel bearings replaced and no change. Swapped out gearbox, no change.Have swapped out both driveshafts, no change. Rear bearings are fine. Anyone solved a similar problem?

#2 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10584 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:13 AM

Tyres?

• northpole likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#3 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:15 AM

9 out of 10 times that is a wheel bearing, but you've replaced all of those so if they are done right than it leaves you to check the driveshafts, they might need fresh grease... or it's your transfer-box (the bit the driveshafts connect to on the gearbox) that is running a bit dry... so maybe a gearbox-oil refresh is needed... i've also heard this noise coming from the brake disks cover-shields, they might be touching the ball-joint, caliper or worse the disk so check the spacing on them... worst case i've noticed was a ball-joint that was worn-out and only noticed it when it finally let go, and that was because the mechanic over-tightened the  bolts that hold it to the arm... long story short.. Check it asap... 

you'll need to have a really good look at the front suspension... use a crowbar, wedge it in between, than move the suspension and check all the connection points...if that all checks out, check the above mentioned points... go for a drive to see if the drone goes away... if it is still there it might be that you are running with to low a tire pressure... so check that also... 

I can't think of anything else that can cause it other than wheel bearings... or the nut isn't torqued up properly or to tight.. as those are usually the cause of droning noises at speed that doesn't go away. 

#4 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10584 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

If bearings, gearbox and shafts have been changed, there's only one other rotating part of the car...

What exhaust is on it?  I've mapped my BMW and asked for slightly more duty on the actuator to give me more boost.  With no backbox, it drones on the motorway at certain loads.  If I moved duty out the way, it kills the drone.  It's quite loud at specific RPMs/loads.

• northpole likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#5 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:07 AM

It probably is the tires running low pressure, I notice a lot of people these days just jump in their cars and drive off without even looking at the tires alround, and most of them are the ones that just started working again..

With the heat we got the last 2 weeks and cars being stationary for weeks on end.. the tire pressure needs to be checked period

#6 celtjon

celtjon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Hereford
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Not the tyres. Pressure checked. If it was the first time I had heard the noise I would suspect a wheel bearing. But I replaced both, not SKF bearings but same price bearings from Eurocarparts. Hub-Driveshaft bolts replaced and torqued to 200 Nm and then angle tightened 180 degrees as per workshop manual.
  • northpole likes this

#7 celtjon

celtjon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Hereford
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:12 PM

Exhaust is standard. The car is not chipped.

#8 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

Did you check the other points mentioned?

#9 celtjon

celtjon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Hereford
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:15 PM

That's next.

#10 celtjon

celtjon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Hereford
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:33 PM

That's next.

#11 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

Do your brakes feel like they're binding at all?

They usually make noises at lower speeds when they do bind so it's unlikely the cause, but worth checking anyway.

#12 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10584 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:51 PM

What brand of tyres?  Are the rears different?  Could swap them.

#13 egooverdrive

egooverdrive

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

I had this and it was the rear tyres.  They looked alright, but running your hand across the tread you feel they were 'feathered'.

I'd be giving a few larger people lifts to work and I think it had thrown out the rear suspension angles.

Replaced the tyres and told the rotund ones to take the train, haven't had it happen again.

Edited by egooverdrive, 28 May 2020 - 04:28 PM.

2003 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI 110 ASV

#14 vwman

vwman

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Bora V6 4motion 2.8 24v 204PS

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:06 PM

I also had this with my tyres on my Bora 4mo.  Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s all round, only half-worn on the rears and no visible problems with the treads, but the car would drone between 60 and 70 mph.  Replacing the rear tyres with new solved the problem.  I've used Eagle F1s for years before and since, and I've never had the problem again.

As Adam says there isn't much else on the car that rotates...  I'd suggest you borrow a pair of wheels and swap them with your own, if that's possible, or just bite the bullet and get a pair of new tyres. 

#15 celtjon

celtjon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Hereford
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:09 AM

Sorted. It was the near-side front wheel bearing. I had replaced this last year and so perhaps wrongly didn't suspect it. Spinning the wheel didn't reveal any rumbling or roughness until the hub-driveshaft bolt was removed and the outer end of the driveshaft removed from the hub. Then it was found to be so rough.would not rotate freely, but instead cogged. Fitted an SKF bearing yesterday. Car is quiet again. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice

#16 JakeMcC

JakeMcC

Too many projects...

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Northern Ireland / Midlands
  • Golf IV GTI 1.9 ARL 150PS

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:50 AM

Glad to hear you got it sorted, wheel bearings can be a right pain - really hard to determine what corner is going bad.

Build Thread - Anthracite PD150 OEM+ Build - ColorMFA, BC Racing coilovers, TT bits, GTB1756
Build Thread - Mk1 Tin Top Full Resto ongoing - 2.0 16V ABF swap on ITBs

#17 celtjon

celtjon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Hereford
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:29 AM

Thanks. Me too. Took the offending bearing apart just. Outer race nearest the flange was the culprit. Lots of pittingAttached File  20200613_122835.jpg   27.64KB   1 downloads

#18 celtjon

celtjon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Hereford
  • Mk5 Models

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:02 PM

Thanks. Me too. Took the offending bearing apart just. Outer race nearest the flange was the culprit. Lots of pitting

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.