pfnsht

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Herts
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:53 AM

Hi,

I've searched and guessing this topic has been discussed but can't find what I'm looking for. I want to replace my boost/intercooler pipework to get rid of the dodgy VAG connectors. I can hear the faint sounds of a boost leak and i get the odd drop of oil drpping out of my joints.

I can only find the Darkside SMIC kit for the 1.9 ASZ engine. The kit looks great but is a bit pricey for me - i was looking more in the region of £200-225.

Does anyone know of kits you can cobble together from different sources? I've seen SMIC intercoolers on ebay for around £70. I can't find any pipework kits to join it together though.

I have the EGR valve still in place but disconnected (inc the pipe that goes to the manifold). I'd like to keep it for the ASV valve but if I had to remove it to fit a pipework kit I would.

I don't fancy messing about hacking things to bits to fit a FMIC... My aims with the car are to give a bit more oomph with a Stage 1 map to 170ish and to cure the boost leaks.

Cheers

Matt

'02 Golf GT Tdi PD130 | '95 Corrado VR6 | '88 Golf GTI'13 Exeo ST cr170 Sport Tech

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:59 AM

took me all of 2 seconds to find this and 2 more seconds to pull up this

you sure you actually tried looking? i think you didn't even try... 

#3 pfnsht

pfnsht

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Herts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:53 PM

Yeah I found the intercooler as posted in my original post (that's one I was referencing as £70). 

The pipe work in your link is for a fmic so won't fit a smic? Or will it - I don't know.

'02 Golf GT Tdi PD130 | '95 Corrado VR6 | '88 Golf GTI'13 Exeo ST cr170 Sport Tech

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 May 2020 - 01:45 PM

It will but you might need a few extra silicone or hard pipe bents to get the pipe work into that corner...  it's one of the reasons why i told you before to just get a universal intercooler kit... or just get a fmic that just fits right behind the lower bumper grill something like this get eveything in one go shouldn't make it to difficult for you... and if it does look for one that has both pipes on one side... 

#5 pfnsht

pfnsht

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Herts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:03 PM

Cheers, the fmic option is much cheaper. I just didn't want to go too mad with this car and like things to fit properly but for 50% cheaper the generic fmic version sounds like the way to go. I was hoping to find the equivalent priced item for the smic.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#6 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9448 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

yeah FMIC setups are always cheaper because they sell more often...  plus you can always decide at a later date to go for a bigger FMIC and no need to change any pipe work. 

• pfnsht likes this

#7 pfnsht

pfnsht

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Herts

Posted Today, 05:55 PM

Just to update this thread. I couldn't find anything off the shelf so to speak and found whilst pricing up a turbo revs intercooler and all the bits to make it work that it wasn't far off the Darkside kit. I decided against a FMIC as I wanted to remain stock looking and the PD150 stuff was quite expensive once i priced it all up (not to mention the hassle of swapping over the front end after having done it already last month).

So for peace of mind I just went with it and they were really helpful helping me get rid of annoying vibration after intially fitting it and confirming how the adapter was meant to locate into the turbo. I think if this was the second time I'd done something like this I'd probably gather the parts but as it was the first time and I couldn't see my way through the job fully I'm happy with the purchase. 

20200626-194700.jpg

I've also fitted B4 shocks, H&R springs and new bushes up front (LCR upgrade on the wishbone) and discs and pads. Drives nice but need to remap it to take advantage of the intercooler. It might be a placebo but it feels like it pulls better higher up the rev range but no different anywhere else on the stock map.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.