Is there a market for mk4 project cars? - Car Buying and Selling Discussion - uk-mkivs

Photo

Is there a market for mk4 project cars?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Twigg

Mark Twigg

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:22 PM

I've had my mk4 1.8t gti for over a decade now but with working from home the past 3 years it's kinda just been sat with little use. When I took it out for a spin last (about 8 months ago) the clutch pedal housing snapped and ever since its not moved.

The misses keeps harping on at me to get it scrapped but I'm reluctant as its a relatively easy fix (just being the actual pedal) and the car is in very good condition for its age with a full service history.

So my question is, has anyone sold their mk4 golf gti with a fixable problem? Is it worth more to the scrap man instead? I also suppose what kind of value would a 51 plate 1.8t gti be fetching if fully road worthy? 

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:50 PM

Where are you located?

What mileage is the car on? Pedal replacement isn't too complex so it might be worth fixing it yourself if you feel up to it, you can't make it much worse.

I'd hazard a guess around £1k-£1.5k for a 51 plate in running order, but the price can fluctuate a lot.

#3 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10711 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:15 AM

Depending on extras, colour, milage, between 5-800.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#4 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9767 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:58 AM

actually it's worth next to nothing... if it isn't a drive away car.. I even think that @adam- is telling you it's worth to much don't forget the car is 19 years old, project car or not if it isn't driveable... you should be lucky if you get offered 300 and that is with the car being in good condition otherwise... my advice, fix the pedal, put it through a fresh mot than sell it with a full years MOT... that way you'll be looking at around 800 to 1100 unless it's a anniversary than the price changes dramatically and you can be looking at 1500 to 2000 for a non runner with full service history... and even than i'd advise you to fix it as an anniversary still can pull in 2500 to 3500 for a VGC full service history car..

let me say it this way if a car doesn't run i offer scrap value prices... because you never know what else is wrong it might seem like it's just the pedal, but it could be clutch master cylinder also, which in turn can effect the clutch slave cylinder so yeah i'd be offering scrap value. Plus it stood for a while it might mean that the brakes alround need to be replaced etc etc etc ... And there are more people nowadays that look at it this way... they look for project cars but quick fixers just incase they decide to sell it on. 

#5 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:06 AM

Yeah I agree with @northpole, I'm always skeptical when I see an ad that says it's just this one thing wrong with a car, and especially skeptical when the owner says it's an easy/cheap fix.

It's pretty much guaranteed that there's other things wrong that are being covered up by the illusion that there's just one cheap repair needed.

#6 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10711 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:14 AM

It's pretty much guaranteed that there's other things wrong that are being covered up by the illusion that there's just one cheap repair needed.

This.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#7 egooverdrive

egooverdrive

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Wales
  • Other Models

Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:38 AM

As said above, at the moment it's only worth scrap money.  You'd get more breaking it and selling the parts but that could take months.

Since it hasn't moved in 8 months and hardly been used for years before that. The pedal would only be the start of things that'll need fixing.

If you have no use for the car, cut your losses and find someone to take it away.  If they give you a couple of hundred pounds for it that'll be a bonus.

2003 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI 110 ASV

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.