Near Side Wing Mirror Glass - Buying Advice - MkV (Mk5) Golf, Golf Plus & Jetta - uk-mkivs

Photo

Near Side Wing Mirror Glass - Buying Advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alchameth34

Alchameth34

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cheddar
  • Golf V GT Sport TDI 2.0 140PS

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:48 AM

Morning All

After years of being fine, for no reason whatsoever my near side wing mirror just gave up its glass.  I am left with the grey backing.  Anyway, I have looked around for a replacement online, and there are loads of places that offer replacements, but reviews are always a mixed bag.  I had a Mk4 once that had some awful plastic stuff that was really bad and want to avoid that.   Anyone got any experience of a good place to get replacement wing mirror glass?  Car is Mk5 Golf GT Sport, TDI 140, I believe the mirror is heated.

Cheers in advance!

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9767 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:31 PM

I always buy them of eBay, i just select UK sellers, and go for the ones that have the most pictures up so you can see what they look like.. never got any rubbish mirrors... so it is up to how you use ebay really. 

#3 Alchameth34

Alchameth34

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cheddar

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the info, sounds good, I just needed some reassurance from a more trustworthy source other than online reviews :) .  Any tips on the best adhesive to use?

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 18 June 2020 - 09:45 AM

Yeah eBay ones are fine, they usually come with the adhesive, which is also fine.

Only things to check are if the glass has a blind spot section and if it's heated, if you want those anyway. OEM glass has one, and is heated. Should be under a tenner, with a new back plate too.

Edited by ttg4l, 18 June 2020 - 09:45 AM.

#5 Alchameth34

Alchameth34

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cheddar

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:04 PM

Great, thanks all.  Have ordered heated wing mirror glass with blind spot section from ebay, £8.50.  Cheers!

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.