JMoore

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • London
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:45 AM

Hello,

So I know theres a thread about this on a MK5, but wanted to know if anyones got one on a MK6?

Yeah, it's costly for what it is and thats why I wanted to do my checks - does it really work? Apparently no coding required, is this really the case? The big one, is it cheaper anywhere else? Preferably from somewhere in the UK.

KR

#2 jussy

jussy

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Birmingham
  • Golf V S 2.0 SDI 75PS

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:32 PM

Have a look on youtube bud.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

#3 JMoore

JMoore

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • London
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:39 PM

I've had a look before and there were only a handful of videos, including the one by ECS themselves.

The rest of the videos seem to be from individuals in the US, wanted to really know if anyone here has bought the kit.

Have a look on youtube bud.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

#4 gerrywac

gerrywac

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4507 posts
  • West Yorks
  • Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:15 PM

I fitted the conversion to my Mk5 several years ago and overall I have been very happy with it, Generally speaking it works very well and it's a godsend to be able to pop the hatch when your laden with shopping or something for the boot without messing with the badge handle. It does take a bit more effort to close and you have to be a bit careful where you stand when you pop it especially in hot weather as the extra pressure means it springs open with a fair force. Conversely in very cold weather The struts may not have quite enough push to start it moving so you need to flick a side or bottom edge of the hatch with a finger to get it started.
On my Mk5 I needed to use VCDS to code the tail lock and latch to release together but I understand that isn't needed with the Mk6.
The kit price is quite expensive as it seems to use OEM parts. With a bit of Internet searching I cut a big chunk off the strut price by getting aftermarket Skoda Fabia struts via ebay. You could try getting the two hatch ball pins and the Scirocco spring buffers from a breaker but even if you get them from a dealer they're not too expensive. I did notice in the ECS page for the 6 it showed the buffers but in the notes it said they weren't needed or included. Sorry I can't help with the exact 6 details

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

#5 JMoore

JMoore

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • London
  • Golf V S 1.6 FSI 115PS

Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:39 PM

Useful info, thanks.

I'll see if I can source the parts individually, but experience tells me sometimes its just better off getting the whole package as often the time gone into the finding the bits and often being let down is frustrating 

I fitted the conversion to my Mk5 several years ago and overall I have been very happy with it, Generally speaking it works very well and it's a godsend to be able to pop the hatch when your laden with shopping or something for the boot without messing with the badge handle. It does take a bit more effort to close and you have to be a bit careful where you stand when you pop it especially in hot weather as the extra pressure means it springs open with a fair force. Conversely in very cold weather The struts may not have quite enough push to start it moving so you need to flick a side or bottom edge of the hatch with a finger to get it started.
On my Mk5 I needed to use VCDS to code the tail lock and latch to release together but I understand that isn't needed with the Mk6.
The kit price is quite expensive as it seems to use OEM parts. With a bit of Internet searching I cut a big chunk off the strut price by getting aftermarket Skoda Fabia struts via ebay. You could try getting the two hatch ball pins and the Scirocco spring buffers from a breaker but even if you get them from a dealer they're not too expensive. I did notice in the ECS page for the 6 it showed the buffers but in the notes it said they weren't needed or included. Sorry I can't help with the exact 6 details

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.