Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 20 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

It's running not bad at all, the rhythmic misfire is gone.
It has, however, got a 'whistle' at about 3/4 throttle (play the video, not the whole video, just til the noise is apparent)

https://photos.app.g...FTtxAc6m5Z3Sqt5

Kirsty drove it this evening and managed to get it into limp mode - took a screenshot of all the error codes.
I reset the codes and drove it back home. Ragged it a bit. No limp mode and just 1 error. Pic of that too.
Suspect @northpole will be the main responder (thanks in advance dude) e03f1a65176a9608fc9ab9252faf5e30.jpg9e699ef089a9b475ed2ad092768a3ab3.jpg

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9433 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:11 AM

The p0638 fault code in its various forms is usually related to the throttle position sensor or its related diagfram or butterfly valve or if fitted the vacuum hoses attached to them .
Now exactly what the problem could be on these depends on what type of upper manifold you have fitted. Do you have an upper manifold with the TPS fitted there or is your tps on the throttle pedal itself?  
- If you have the tps on the manifold then i would suspect that the manifold is itself gunged up and needs a clean , make sure the butterfly valve inside the manifold can move freely also clean the boost sensor. Don't remove the tps sensor from the manifold leave in position 

- The next stage is to check your vacuum hoses for signs of perishing/cracking , a very common problem on these DTi,s .
best solution is to replace them with silicone tubing 3 metres of 3mm tubing is enough to do all the vacuum hoses around the engine bay

PS what program did you use to pull those error's? 

#3 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:42 AM

Torque Pro.
The sensors are new and genuine.
Vacuum hoses have already been replaced
The whole inlet was cleaned, its all as sparkly as it's ever going to be.

I'm not overly concerned about the remaining code..
That whistly screechy noise, though, is a concern.

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9433 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

But did you check the tips sensor on the pedal I'm quite sure yours is on there... as with your engine being the y22dth it'll be on the pedal.. and that might've seen better days. Or needs a clean out...

Long story short remove dash panels under the steeringwheel and check that big connector on the gas pedal for dirt or broken isolation on the separate cables. If that all checks out you'll need to replace the sensor itself. Means pulling the pedal unless you like being in an awkward position not being able to see what the hell you are doing.. but it can be done... just akward
  • Evil likes this

#5 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9433 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:46 AM

Ps the noise might be the turbo but it doesn't have to be luckily the turbo's for the dti engines are cheap as chips... you just need to find a good used one. last time I was looking I found that they went for max 50 pounds on ebay.. actually i just checked myself and they are double the price as yours does have the VNT mechanism on it ... unlucky but that is what makes them more expensive... 

Used  or  fully refurbished (no surcharge or replacement needed to be send i return, it is what i would go for) 

• Evil likes this

#6 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:22 PM

I'll check out the pedal sensor when summer returns.. cant find it on 7zap but have found it, and a part number, via Google.

Wouldn't a turbo issue produce other symptoms?
It's not particularly down on power, there's no smoke under acceleration or at any other time, no turbo related fault codes (apart from that 1 pending one when it went to limp and cleared ok).

If it were a vacuum leak, which I do think it sounds like, is it likely to only happen at about 3/4 throttle and then go away?

#7 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9433 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:25 PM

It is possible like I said check the vacuum pipes it could have split somewhere especially if the pipe has one of those oblong push fittings to seal it off. If it's not that than it might be the turbo actuator...

#8 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:24 AM

Can't find any loose or split pipes/hoses, actuator works, it's a mystery.

Kirsty has, however, come up with a solution.

Gumtree.

#9 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10584 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:29 AM

It sounds like a boost leak! 

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#10 Evil

Evil

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Mid-Suffolk

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:35 AM

It sounds like a boost leak!

Yup.. We eventually arrived there (we've never heard a boost leak before).
Can't find any leaks anywhere though. Checked all pipes and connections to/from the turbo and all seems well..

Next step would be bull bars off, bumper and grille off, go through it all again with a finer toothed comb.

#11 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10584 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:36 AM

It's like a squeal though, inlet gasket?

A smoke tester/pressure tester would be handy.  Doubt it's the turbo as it's only started doing it, rather something you've played with.

• Evil likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#12 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9433 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:39 AM

I agree with that it is a boost leak... but it must be one of the boostpipes... maybe a split somewhere out of view... as the noise happens when the turbo is deffo pushing air about...
  • Evil likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.