Switch Between 2 inputs - Relay? - Page 2 - Audio, Electrics and Lighting - uk-mkivs

Photo

Switch Between 2 inputs - Relay?

Other

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:57 PM

*I like the clamping diode you've got too, nice touch! 

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#32 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:58 PM

If I right in thinking I could put diodes on each wire then link the wires together and run one wire? As the voltage will not pass the diode back down the wire to the leds?

Then step up voltage to what ever the illumination wire will read? And No need for relay?

#33 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9360 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:59 PM

With that eBay PCB, you need 0V, 12V, 12V to relay common, then the two diodes cathodes would connect to the green connector IN+. 0V to green connector GND.

Relay N/O to boost gauge.

The relay solution will work above, but I'd go for 2K7 and be choosy on relay choice.

:Y:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#34 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9360 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:02 PM

If your step up (boost converter) will work from 1.4V you just need the two diodes... That's quite a low voltage for a boost converter!

:)

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#35 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:16 PM

Oh damn yeah that’s true.

What transistor will need. Just type in transistor and anyone will be fine.

I bought this one last week?

https://www.ebay.co....tm/152752199872

#36 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9360 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:23 PM

No relay, 2 stage...

TuKf84D.jpg

#37 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

No relay, 2 stage...

TuKf84D.jpg

After the second 10k. Is at 11v?

What’s with Additional looping etc?

Also is the 10k the resistor value? And do I pick up any npn transistor?

#38 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50112 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:03 PM

Before you do all this,try connecting it to the sidelights (front or rear) and let us know if that works ok.

#39 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:05 PM

Before you do all this,try connecting it to the sidelights (front or rear) and let us know if that works ok.

KISS.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#40 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50112 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:19 PM

Oh and of course if the cars got them,NOT the ones that work as daytime running lights.

#41 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9360 posts
  • Leicester

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:30 PM

I would still find a better source or buy the comparator PCB off eBay.

It's too much hassle building up these circuits.

#42 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50112 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:34 PM

I would still find a better source or buy the comparator PCB off eBay.

It's too much hassle building up these circuits.

Anything like an Arduino relay driver board will do,there's aenough of those on there.

#43 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:40 PM

Side lights permanently on. (Angel eyes). The 12v fuse for headlights is a constant live

#44 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50112 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:07 PM

Side lights permanently on. (Angel eyes). The 12v fuse for headlights is a constant live

They're daytime running lights,use the rear lights instead.

#45 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

They're daytime running lights,use the rear lights instead.

I think they are led too.

#46 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:40 PM

You will be pleased to know that due to perseverance from you guys, to find an alternative source, I decided to check the rear lights. Thankfully cos they are pre lci they are still 12v so I ran a wire from there to the front (from 2015 same f30 got led rears). I didn’t really want to cut into the original loom but I did with a little bit of dodgy soldering and wiring through the grommet (that’s lines you the lights) it still sat pretty flush. That’s how I got the wire in to the boot. Then A bit of mission through the boot by pulling up carpet but got to back seats. Then it was easy. All done.

Thank you for your help.
  • Imagewerx likes this

#47 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50112 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:05 PM

Glad you got it working in the end,but you could get to that same wire behind the kickpanel or at the end of the dashboard.

#48 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

Glad you got it working in the end,but you could get to that same wire behind the kickpanel or at the end of the dashboard.

It’s all controlled by canbus there is nowhere else to cut into. The headlight wiring is so compact and access is hard. To change a bulb you have to take the front wheel off.

In golf mk4 I would either use the lighter 12v illumination or splice from the headlight switch. In this car the 12v socket has no illumination and the wiring for the headlight switch is all in enclosed units. Again controlled by can bus.

The fuse box is split up. One row is ignition live and the other row is constant live. The headlights are a constant live. Seems odd to me.

#49 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:46 AM

Are you sure they're not controlled by the BCM?

#50 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

• Moderators
  • 50112 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:15 PM

It's controlled by CAN-BUS on a separate network,the lighting wires themselves are 12 volts and don't carry CAN data and will go up to the front of the car where they're connected to a lighting control module,or the footwell module on that particular car (BMW 1 series wasn't it?).
If it's one of the very latest cars they have the contol module built into the headlights,so yes will have permanent live on them and a data signal (CAN-BUS) to tell them what to do.As far as I can remember,all the wires to the rear lights run forwards to the front of the car,exactly where that is I can't tell you I'm afraid.

#51 vwgtiking

vwgtiking

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:44 PM

It's controlled by CAN-BUS on a separate network,the lighting wires themselves are 12 volts and don't carry CAN data and will go up to the front of the car where they're connected to a lighting control module,or the footwell module on that particular car (BMW 1 series wasn't it?).
If it's one of the very latest cars they have the contol module built into the headlights,so yes will have permanent live on them and a data signal (CAN-BUS) to tell them what to do.As far as I can remember,all the wires to the rear lights run forwards to the front of the car,exactly where that is I can't tell you I'm afraid.

3 series 2013.

Basically how you explained. Like I say Not many places to cut into these days

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Other

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.