Best suspension set up for country lane driving? - Suspension, Brakes and Chassis - uk-mkivs

Photo

Best suspension set up for country lane driving?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

Hey all,

I've got a pd130 on stock suspension and 16s but it's very wallowey and looks a bit shoot.

Ideally I'd like to be lower with some 18s but this is a daily hack and does 50 miles of bumpy country lanes each day.

I've looked at bilstein b4 (the Anni equivalent) but they are said to be 10% (who measures this lol) stiffer than stock vw Anni, god knows how much stiffer that is than the standard. I was going to pair with eibach -30mm springs but I'm worried it will be way too stiff and low for the roads.

I still want to enjoy the ride.

Anyone had similar experiences and can give me some advice? I'm half tempted to go OE Anni setup with 17s to be honest...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#2 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:01 PM

Right, coming from a b road b*tard background - please stick with 16 or 17 wheels as the extra tyre padding will take up the bumps the suspension will otherwise get. You don't want cartwheels giving you full suspension travel and rebound resulting in a car that's back on the ramp after a few 100 miles because you've hit a few holes at the wrong angle. 

Stiffen up the suspension: just going a little bit extra helps. Too stiff: ridges and potholes may knock your car into the hedge. 

Lowering: don't go really low, perhaps 0.5 to 1cm max. The middle of the road down these can sometimes be really high and the camber non-existent. Make sure your sump's covered. (But you probably know those things already.)

Get upgraded antiroll bars: car go so fast make you fard and shid pant. Good for taking the bends a little sharper and faster. Say 3mm thicker than you've got on already.  

Polybush: All wishbone bushes to get rid of the remaining wallowing. And on the antiroll bar too. Don't bother with ones for the top mounts. Squeaks will drive you mad with the road condition and you have to take the suspension out to re-grease. 

If you do go for the anni suspension set up, you may as well upgrade all the suspension parts to match at least then it'll handle the same way an anni should and not a similar way yours already does.

It won't be perfect - I don't think this exists unless you have got loads of time and money to throw at random bits of kit. But it will be better than what you have already.

Other than that, what about the pd150 set up? That would fit too and change the ride to what you want without crazy lowering. 

Whatever you get, get it new.

Edited by DerPanzerWagen, 12 July 2020 - 09:02 PM.

#3 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:14 PM

Cheers!

So what ARB thickness is the stock GT TDI pd130? I know I could do with a rear ARB for the understeer.
But what difference is there between the Anni and the GT TDI?
Presume just shocks, springs and ARB? So I could do those, get a rear ARB, new wishbones, drop links and rear bushes?

Is the bilstein/eibach with 27s not recommended? Not sure I could find anything to only drop 10mm and I'd like it to look somewhat better.

There's gotta be a compromise?

Appreciate the input!

#4 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Wales

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:00 PM

The stock arb on the pd130 was  21mmm. Whiteline will do rear ARBs for cars that don't have one already. 

The damping rate of the shocks will differ as will the spring rate on a pd130 and the anni. Only gives a marginal lowered look.

Compromise: 

But if you really do want it lowered some more, get the Eibach springs & Bilstein b4 sports shocks for the front. Note the rears aren't categorised. The upgrade the rest of the suspension to the anni stuff. The ARB on that is 23mm and whiteline I only go up to 24mm on the rear ARB. 

#5 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:03 PM

So you'd recommend Anni shocks springs all round and front ARB, with a 24mm whitline rear?

I can get my whole hand between the tyre and arch at the moment so if the sport/Anni is going to pull that down a bit I'd be pretty happy

#6 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Wales

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:13 PM

So you'd recommend Anni shocks springs all round and front ARB, with a 24mm whitline rear?

I can get my whole hand between the tyre and arch at the moment so if the sport/Anni is going to pull that down a bit I'd be pretty happy

Unless you want to try autocross as a new daily hobby, then yeah, the anni would be my personal choice. 

• marshole82 likes this

#7 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50054 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

Your post has been moved,always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section.

#8 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:27 PM

Your post has been moved,always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section.

Sorry! I find Tapatalk an absolute hooer to navigate!

#9 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

you might want to consider 17 or 18inch wheels with low profile tires as the wallowing isn't helped with those balloon tires that are on the 16 inch wheels... 

so it'll be a combo of thicker arb's and better shocks... the brand you are looking at should do wonders.. but if you keep running those 16 inch wheels  with those high wall tires... the wallowing will still be there. Low profile tires are a lot sturdier. 

#10 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:41 AM

Cheers north. I'm planning 17s in the future but budget dictates!

So I think I'm going for bilstein b4 with the Sachs sport springs. I'd like the sport ARB too but I've looked at parts catalogue and I can't workout if it's connecting differently and what other parts I'd need...linky

https://volkswagen.7...6/4/411-411002/

Any help will be useful!

I'll likely go whiteline rear ARB too, plus new wishbones and rear bushes. All before wheels!

#11 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 14 July 2020 - 11:57 AM

you'll need 2 and 3 of that link.. 

problem is i didn't see the ones used on the GTI but they are the 23mm thick arb's(no.2)  you'll also need the matching arb rubbers (no. 3) but as you said the thing isn't to clear... as I clicked in the information icon on the parts and nothing states European market... it's all the other markets, what you can do though is just look at anyone breaking a gti and buying the arb of them..  used i t might be covered in rust but that doesn't men you can't use it...  just leaves you to buy new rubbers so it sits properly in it's place.   

#12 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:19 PM

Yeah there is that. The difference is about 3mm so might not be too obvious which I buy unfortunately, but at least I have the part number to check. And yes the rubbers too but looks like the clamp is the same.

I'd be surprised if they changed the drop link etc just for a change in strut length etc....

#13 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Wales

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:40 AM

but if you keep running those 16 inch wheels  with those high wall tires... the wallowing will still be there. Low profile tires are a lot sturdier. 

Nope, I'm running 16s and I don't wallow about on my upgraded kit... 

#14 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:13 AM

Nope, I'm running 16s and I don't wallow about on my upgraded kit...

Than you must be running max tire pressure.... or the roads around you must be in very good condition..

#15 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:36 AM

Appreciate the help guys - either way it'll be a slow process for me and wheels will likely be last.

I've got brake pipes to have fitted, then brakes to do, then shocks and springs, then rear ARB, then front....then maybe wheels!

I'd say 2024 by then

#16 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:57 AM

if you want 

Appreciate the help guys - either way it'll be a slow process for me and wheels will likely be last.

I've got brake pipes to have fitted, then brakes to do, then shocks and springs, then rear ARB, then front....then maybe wheels!

I'd say 2024 by then

i got a front ARB... it's from a standard 1.8t 150bhp AGU GTI... it's just laying here gathering dust.. if you want it it's yours, I can send it( need to find out what the send costs will be) or if you are near you can pick it up free of charge... I'm not buying a mk4 golf ever again... and if i do it'll be an R32 (and to be honest I prefer the mk5 R32 for the simple reason the engines and drive trains are younger, better rear suspension, more comfort etc)  

that said you will need to buy the ARB bushes(rubbers) as i left them on the car I had poly versions but couldn't be bothered to get them off.. yeah this was the replacement i was going to prep and paint it but never got around to it....saves you some monies and means you can put it on asap...  because those bushes/rubbers are cheap. 

You got first pick on this, but normally all the stuff i find laying about goes to @Evil,  as he is just a few miles away from me. so if you uhm and arh about it it'll go to him.  

#17 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:09 AM

if you want

i got a front ARB... it's from a standard 1.8t 150bhp AGU GTI... it's just laying here gathering dust.. if you want it it's yours, I can send it( need to find out what the send costs will be) or if you are near you can pick it up free of charge... I'm not buying a mk4 golf ever again... and if i do it'll be an R32 (and to be honest I prefer the mk5 R32 for the simple reason the engines and drive trains are younger, better rear suspension, more comfort etc)

that said you will need to buy the ARB bushes(rubbers) as i left them on the car I had poly versions but couldn't be bothered to get them off.. yeah this was the replacement i was going to prep and paint it but never got around to it....saves you some monies and means you can put it on asap... because those bushes/rubbers are cheap.

You got first pick on this, but normally all the stuff i find laying about goes to @Evil, as he is just a few miles away from me. so if you uhm and arh about it it'll go to him.

Is the GTi one the thicker one then?

If it is then yeah I'll take it off you buddy thanks - how much are we talking? I'm down in Northampton so any courier will do it (please not Hermes lol)

#18 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:28 AM

I think so it was thicker than the one on my AHF 110 TDI and it transformed the handling... now like i said you can have it just re-imburst the sending costs... tell you what i'll go and measure it to make sure... but i'm quite sure it is thicker than the one you got now...  but it basically is free ask @Evil whatever i run into i give away because it's not that i'll be using it again. No more mk4 for me(was looking at an estate and bora mk4 PD130 though but i decided against it, they'll make me spend way to much money i don't like the standard looks, needs to much tweaking to be nice) 

I need to leave the house now so when i get back i'll let you know... 

#19 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:45 AM

No rush mate, appreciate it :) I'm also after a 312mm front brake upgrade if you happen across one lol

#20 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:58 AM

So since the wife is being slow i just measured it it's 21mm thick must be thicker than the one on your car...( if i'm correct yours is 19mm or less) and yes you can have it but if i send it it'll be Hermes as the post office wants an extortionate amount of money for the same thing, and Hermes is very nearby... unlike the postoffice.  remember it needs some work as it's over 16 years old (probably around 20 at this time)

#21 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:03 AM

I don't suppose there's a part number? Don't want to end up with the same as what I've got lol no rush fella, honestly

#22 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:43 AM

why don't you just take a vernier caliper and measure yours? that is what i just did because as i mentioned before, it's rusty, if i could read the part number i would've put it up.. don't feel like cleaning it up to read it... means i have to get my tools out. 

#23 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

I'll try and get under there and have a look. I don't have caliper so I'll see what I can do and let you know. I'm sure you're right but just don't want us both to go to the trouble only for it to be what I've already got.

#24 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:29 AM

No rush mate, appreciate it :) I'm also after a 312mm front brake upgrade if you happen across one lol

nope don't have that...  but i highly recommend you go for Zimmermann Sport brake-disks if you go that route...they have different types the ones i got were slotted and drilled.

#25 marshole82

marshole82

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:31 AM

nope don't have that... but i highly recommend you go for Zimmermann Sport brake-disks if you go that route...they have different types the ones i got were slotted and drilled.

Many thanks for the recommendation buddy

#26 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 637 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

My pd130 daily sees alot of A and B roads.. 

i personally found it much better on the 16's ive dropped the tyre size a tad to 205/50/16 (ive tried all variations) 

the car is also dropped 40mm all around and has a good number of poly bushes.. its great fun on the roads and with a decat and map passes people when it needs to without issues.

its also running the 312mm brakes set up as ive cooked my brakes too many times. :-)

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2001 Toyota Celica VVTLI **Insta @Craigyinni **

#27 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:24 AM

My pd130 daily sees alot of A and B roads..

i personally found it much better on the 16's ive dropped the tyre size a tad to 205/50/16 (ive tried all variations)

the car is also dropped 40mm all around and has a good number of poly bushes.. its great fun on the roads and with a decat and map passes people when it needs to without issues.

its also running the 312mm brakes set up as ive cooked my brakes too many times. :-)

You dropped 2 sizes afaik 16 inch are 60 high... so that will make a difference in both wallowing and stopping vibrations...

#28 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 637 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:28 AM

You dropped 2 sizes afaik 16 inch are 60 high... so that will make a difference in both wallowing and stopping vibrations...

they come standard as 205/55/16  so only one size.. :-)

i also tried 205/45/16's but just wasnt happy with them 

Edited by superchickenn, 15 July 2020 - 11:30 AM.

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2001 Toyota Celica VVTLI **Insta @Craigyinni **

#29 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

they come standard as 205/55/16 so only one size.. :-)

Than the ones I saw must have gone for higher tires... because I noticed that size about 10 times and always hated the look of those balloon tires...

#30 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 637 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:35 AM

Than the ones I saw must have gone for higher tires... because I noticed that size about 10 times and always hated the look of those balloon tires...

I bet it looked alien with 60's... 

My PD150 came standard with the 16's same as my a3 and they both came with the 205/55/16, ive had the PD150 in the family since new.. 

why they would put 60's on it blows my mind

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.