Question regarding swapping a 1.8t into an NA car. - Welcome to uk-mkivs - uk-mkivs

Photo

Question regarding swapping a 1.8t into an NA car.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SuperMintiFresh

SuperMintiFresh

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • London
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:18 AM

Greetings, fellow humans. I'm losing my first post virginity, plz go easy on me. 
I am after the knowledge of the geniuses which reside on this forum. I've got a rhd golf 1.8t which i accidentally fell in love with, which is quite a bit modified and i couldnt bring myself to sell it. I've now moved to a lhd country and i brought the car with me. 

My plan is to buy a cheap lhd golf (either a 1.4, 1.6 or 1.8) and transplant all the good bits from my rhd golf to the lhd recipient, including the engine. Yes, i know it would've been better to sell the golf and buy a lhd 1.8t, but I've put way too much money into it. 

My question is this. With an NA motor coming out and the 1.8t going in, what electrical issues would i run into? Im certain i wont be able to use the rhd loom and the lhd loom would be missing some turbo related stuff. What other differences are there? Would the 1.8t ecu plug into the NA car ecu socket? 

Muchos gracias ppl. 

"Why the hell would you buy a two door car?"
- My nan, 2018

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:51 AM

Imho it is easier to convert to LHD than doing a complete engine swap... look into that first...
  • SuperMintiFresh likes this

#3 SuperMintiFresh

SuperMintiFresh

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • London

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:23 AM

Imho it is easier to convert to LHD than doing a complete engine swap... look into that first...

thanks for the reply northpole. i did look into this, but i think there is going to be a lot of hassle with registering a rhd car in a lhd country. will have to go through tons of checks to ensure it is done correctly before registering it. 

• northpole likes this

- My nan, 2018

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

thanks for the reply northpole. i did look into this, but i think there is going to be a lot of hassle with registering a rhd car in a lhd country. will have to go through tons of checks to ensure it is done correctly before registering it.

Well than get a same based car and swap the good bits over... if you are in Germany or the Netherlands that will be the best and easiest option.

#5 SuperMintiFresh

SuperMintiFresh

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • London

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:32 AM

Well than get a same based car and swap the good bits over... if you are in Germany or the Netherlands that will be the best and easiest option.

i am currently based in Lithuania. unfortunately 1.8t golf's (1.8t cars in general) are hard to come by, and when they do they are either expensive or over 300k km's and not taken care of.

i thought buying an na golf would be a more budget option and wont have to go through the hassle of registering a rhd car, plus it would be a weekend project. 

- My nan, 2018

#6 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:36 AM

i am currently based in Lithuania. unfortunately 1.8t golf's (1.8t cars in general) are hard to come by, and when they do they are either expensive or over 300k km's and not taken care of.

i thought buying an na golf would be a more budget option and wont have to go through the hassle of registering a rhd car, plus it would be a weekend project.

If you are going to do an engine swap the shell doesn't really matter how many miles it has done... as long as the body is in really good condition... you just take the old stuff of and put your better parts on...

It saves you from having to replace all the suspension parts, etc etc.... if you choose to go for a 1.8t...

If not well be prepared to take the thing down to it's shell ... because loads will need replacing...

#7 SuperMintiFresh

SuperMintiFresh

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • London

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:50 AM

If you ate going to do an engine swap the shell doesn't really matter how .any miles it has done... along as the body is in really good condition... you just take the old stuff of and put your better parts on...

It saves you from having to replace all the suspension parts, etc etc.... if you choose to go for a 1.8t...

If not well be prepared to take the thing down to it's shell ... because loads will need replacing...

thanks a lot for your input. i thought the main difference would be the engine and electronics, i didnt expect all the other components to be different. 

thank you again, really appreciate it. 

- My nan, 2018

#8 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:54 AM

What year/engine is the 1.8t?

If it's a later model 1.8t, then get a similarly aged 1.4 or 1.6 and the job isn't too bad (when they're both either LHD or RHD). The ECU plug will likely be the same, and other than that you've only really got the 5 or so plugs by the wiper linkage, and the one plug by the battery. The position of the ECU and the plug by the battery should be the same on both cars, but the plugs by the wiper linkage might be in a different place for LHD as the fuse box is on the other side, I'm not 100% sure though.

#9 SuperMintiFresh

SuperMintiFresh

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • London

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

What year/engine is the 1.8t?

If it's a later model 1.8t, then get a similarly aged 1.4 or 1.6 and the job isn't too bad (when they're both either LHD or RHD). The ECU plug will likely be the same, and other than that you've only really got the 5 or so plugs by the wiper linkage, and the one plug by the battery. The position of the ECU and the plug by the battery should be the same on both cars, but the plugs by the wiper linkage might be in a different place for LHD as the fuse box is on the other side, I'm not 100% sure though.

thanks for your input ttg4l. its a 2002 golf. its a frankenstein engine, originally an aum but the previous owner put on an apx head, ko3s and other goodies. 

that was my thought process . i can easily get a 1.4 or 1.6 for 200-350€ and just transplant everything. the main thing that is of concern are the electronics. im no mechanic, but im sure the turbo car has some inputs/outputs for the wastegate/bov and other components which will be missing in the na car and na loom. 

- My nan, 2018

#10 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

thanks for your input ttg4l. its a 2002 golf. its a frankenstein engine, originally an aum but the previous owner put on an apx head, ko3s and other goodies.

that was my thought process . i can easily get a 1.4 or 1.6 for 200-350€ and just transplant everything. the main thing that is of concern are the electronics. im no mechanic, but im sure the turbo car has some inputs/outputs for the wastegate/bov and other components which will be missing in the na car and na loom.

The loom splits for a body side and an engine side, so I'd assume that all the added bits would be on the engine side of the loom. So in theory you can just keep the loom plugged into the engine, unplug the main connectors that I outlined before, plus smaller stuff which isn't attached to the engine like rad temp sensor, coolant level sensor etc. and then swap over and plug the main plugs back in. I'd advise looking at wiring diagrams before doing it if you do choose to, this is all in theory but in practice there's bound to be a few hurdles.

#11 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:27 AM

yeah and to be on the safe side take the thing apart swap over the complete front sub-frame with suspension, brakes, engine, than remove the rear beam and swap the lot over... than you'll need to swap the cluster over and set it for KM's instead of miles etc... it is the reason why i said just get a 300k car (being in Lithuanian it'll be kilometres not miles) so the amount in miles is a lot less... actually it's only 187.5 miles so your high mileage in Lithuania is your average mileage here in the UK... as 1 mile = 1.6KM... 

so yeah if i was you i would reconsider getting a 1.8t... it just means less work just drop in engine and your good to go after some VCDS matching of cluster, ecu and keys... 

than if it has stuff you want to put over you do that if and when you ;) 

#12 SuperMintiFresh

SuperMintiFresh

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • London

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

so in theory, its possible to swap in the 1.8t motor into an na car, but just a lot of hassle right? 

- My nan, 2018

#13 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:12 AM

so in theory, its possible to swap in the 1.8t motor into an na car, but just a lot of hassle right?

Yes it means there is more work to be done... as most 1.8t's have bigger brakes, better suspension, better bushes and ARB's, the quick rack on most 180bhp UK cars etc...

So yeah it is best to get a 1.8t as a base. But yes you can use any mk4 as a base car,yes even a diesel it just means you need to swap the tank and all the fuel lines over as an added headache.

#14 SuperMintiFresh

SuperMintiFresh

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • London

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:30 AM

yeah, i read online that diesel fuel systems are different to petrol ones. thanks again for the help. 

regarding the ecu and electrical stuff, im guessing i can then take the engine loom and 1.8t ecu and put it into the na car, then connect all the rest of the electrical stuff from the na car into the 1.8t ecu?

- My nan, 2018

#15 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9596 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

Yes can be done... but you might want to make sure that the base model has loads of options.. saves you from having to swap things over like heated seat looms, Cruise control, remote door locking, electric windows.. etc etc... it might sound weird but some basic models do not have those things we are used to see.. i clearly remember the mk4 1.4 cheap models having almost nothing as an extra but everything as an option. 

#16 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

The rear brakes are usually the same on a stock 1.8t and a 1.4/1.6. A later 1.6 SE will have cruise, ESP, electric windows all round, and remote locking.

You can use your 1.8t ECU and cluster. Just swap your immo chip into the 1.6 key fob. Cluster can be changed to KM from miles using VCDS.

You'll want the rear springs+shocks, front hubs, front struts assemblies and shafts from your 1.8t too. GTi suspension is 10mm or 15mm lower than standard on the 1.6. Bushes will be the same, but you may as well put fresh bushes in while you've got the car apart. 

#17 SuperMintiFresh

SuperMintiFresh

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • London

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:27 PM

i see. thanks a bunch for your help and knowledge. i'll be on the lookout for a cheap 1.8t. if that does not work, i'll go the na route  :D

- My nan, 2018

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.