#1 Dmoody2512

Dmoody2512

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Wiltshire
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

Hi I'm new to the forum and have read all the posts I can find for this and still can't track down the problem with my fans so need some assistance. Also might not have posted this in the correct place not sure so please move if I have 😁

Advice needed

Recently having problems with my cooling fans pulsating between low and high speed as soon as you turn the ignition on, checked the low speed resistor and sure enough was gone so have done the resistor mod and have confirmed that it fixed the low speed fault by jumping the two wires on the fan switch with ignition off and I'm still having the same issue with the fans. What else could it be?

A/C also isn't working at the moment, has correct gas charge just compressor isn't kicking in but fans come on constant rather than pulsating but at full speed

Tia
  • Dmoody2512 likes this

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:20 AM

Could be the fan control module or the carbon brushes for the fans motor. Carbon brushes get stuck over time, mine got stuck and made a dead zone for the big fan so you needed to spin it by hand first to get it going. AC doesn't work when either fan is faulty.

Ignition on but engine off, and AC on should have both fans spinning on low speed.

Since yours is both fans, I'd be leaning towards the FCM. Check voltage at the fan plugs, if it's erratic then it's probably the FCM. Costs around a tenner second hand and is easy to swap so I'd try that.

#3 Dmoody2512

Dmoody2512

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Wiltshire

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:28 AM

With ignition on and ac on still pulses between low and high speed and can hear the FCM clicking away when changes between speeds.
Also figured that the ac might not be working cause of the fan fault.

Read somewhere that have to make sure you get the right FCM for your car when buying as there as many different ones. Is this correct?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:30 AM

Yeah they've got different plugs. The same with any part, just get the same part number as you've already got. If it's a Golf it probably end in K.

#5 Dmoody2512

Dmoody2512

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Wiltshire

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:44 AM

Ah okay cool yeah it's a golf, guess this looks about right but will double check part numbers.
https://www.ebay.co....LwAAOSw6D5d8ogO

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.