• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frst

frst

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

I think my time with the mkiv is coming to an end. If I am to replace it, I think I'd like a mk1 TT, either a 225 or a V6.

Has anyone driven both? Does the TT improve on the mkiv platform in terms of handling and "fun"? I know people stick a bit of TT suspension on mkivs, I wondered if the TT would be a better drive?

My gti goes well enough, and grips well enough, but it's not involving.

I know the TT won't be as involving as my MR2 Roadster I had before the gti, but is it an improvement?

Any help gratefully received, thanks in advance

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:50 AM

yes it is a more sportier drive out of the box...and if you want better performance you go for the 1.8t the v6 although it's an r32 with quattro is setup as a fast cruiser... but if you get it turbo charged, it'll turn it from a cruiser to a pocket rocket with the potential  of a supercar.. the later is seriously expensive and if you are going that route remember you could buy a mk2 TT RS as it will be cheaper and has more potential out of the box  

#3 frst

frst

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:40 AM

Cheers. Not too worried about faster, I'd like the soundtrack of the V6, I think I'm after an "event" rather than all out performance, but would like it to be better to drive than my gti

#4 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10711 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:23 PM

Did all TTs come with indy suspension?  I've never checked.  If it does, TT all the way,

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#5 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:31 AM

All FWD have the same setup as the mk4 180 bhp anniversary edition.... the v6 models all have quattro (and if i'm correct that is the same setup found on the R32)  but honestly go for the quattro and if you can find it manual instead of DSG... as you'll need to check the service history of DSG on top of the normal stuff and the older the car is the greater the chances are it has been neglected, repair costs are bloody high. 

#6 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10516 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:08 AM

If u do get a V6 of any kind, make sure it's one that's registered before 23 march 2006.

Any V6 registered after that date has an annual road tax cost of over £570!!!

Any V6 before 24 march 2006 is the lower band of £300/330 for 12 months.

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#7 frst

frst

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

Seeing as Captain Indecision has failed to make a purchase as yet, can I ask the same question about a Leon Cupra R?
More involving to drive than a mkiv GTi?

#8 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10516 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:43 AM

Seeing as Captain Indecision has failed to make a purchase as yet, can I ask the same question about a Leon Cupra R?
More involving to drive than a mkiv GTi?

All the magazine road Tests from the early 2000s always rated the cupra over any GTi vw

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#9 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:50 AM

All the magazine road Tests from the early 2000s always rated the cupra over any GTi vw

yes the Leon Cupra and Cupra R are better planted than the VW golf MK4 GTI...  that said if the lot has bad bushes and worn out suspension though it drives equally as bad, if not worse than a mk4 Golf GTI. 

#10 frst

frst

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:09 PM

Cheers, thanks for the replies

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.