[Mk4 Golf] Headlight Modding Questions - Audio, Electrics and Lighting - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

Headlight Modding Questions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 haitch

haitch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

Hello all,

I'm thinking about doing the Twin indicator Mod and Joey Modding my headlights too but have some questions. I've never really done anything that technical when it comes to modifications so want to make sure I'm doing things correctly, any help is appreciated please!

Twindicator Questions

1. How do you go about doing the mod on headlights with foglights in them? I'm guessing it's not too different from removing the reflective 'blank' on non-foglight headlights, but there is a small nut securing the foglight instead of another screw. I'm finding it difficult to get to and undo, how should I go about removing it and what is the best tool to use?

2. What is the best way to attach/'mount' the second indicator, using sealant as found in this video guide (https://www.youtube....h?v=03mpXze4ykg), or plastic welding part of the non-foglight reflector so that the screw holes align (https://uk-mkivs.net...-days-tinkering)? Or is there another way that's even better? I'm guessing super glue isn't up to the task due to the heat and vibrations headlights go through?

3. Can you re-locate the foglights that you remove? Maybe into lower corner grilles in the front bumper, either cutting holes in the grilles and running wires using spade connectors from the original headlight loom down to the new location or replacing the lights (the entire fixing or just the bulb?) found in these: (https://www.ebay.co....ew/261462427448)

Joey Mod Questions

1. After smashing the glass in a pair of headlights, is it still necessary to have another pair of lights to use for their glass, or can you just buy replacements from eBay? I found a set of lenses claiming to be glass not plastic, would these be okay? (https://www.ebay.co....-R/174344167108)

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I've tried to do some reading up but I've probably missed a few threads along the way!

Thank you.  :)

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:48 AM

I can't answer the first one.

But for the rest:
2. I'd plastic weld if it were me, it's tidier and easier to remove in the future if you ever wanted to. If you're not comfortable with plastic welding then sealant is fine, but with both methods you'd want to get the unit sitting as flat as possible in the housing or it'll look odd.

3. Yes you can relocate them. But I'd go for the halogen housings and buy LED bulbs separately. That works out cheaper and you can choose a decent set of bulbs and go back to halogens if you don't like the LEDs.

1. Yes you can just buy replacement lenses, people usually go for another set of lights because they can be picked up for cheap and it sort of guarantees quality glass instead of potentially thin glass that will crack easily. Saying that, if it were me, I'd buy the replacement lenses and not bother with another set of lights, it's easier and saves a lot of time.
  • haitch likes this

#3 haitch

haitch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:11 PM

Hi ttg4l, thank you very much for the detailed reply.

-Okay, thank you- I'd like to try the plastic weld option as I want to try and make the change reversible for the future; I've never tried plastic welding before but would one of these options be okay?  - https://www.eurocarp...-28ml-542771340 or https://www.halfords...eld-434951.html

Or do I need to use the method involving a 'stick' that looks more like traditional welding?

-Halogen housings sound more ideal, I linked the previous ones as they said H3 on them, presuming they'd come with H3 bulbs like the headlight foglights do, thank you for pointing that out. I found these options that come with the foglights already set up, one looks a bit more OEM than the other, but also more pricey: https://www.ebay.co....EW/151140616767 and https://www.ebay.co....Uk/402329430631

Looking at how they're set up, it looks easier to get those than try to re-use the foglights I'd take out of the headlights, I'm just not sure on how I'd run the foglight wiring down to the new locations for the foglights; I assume some spade connectors and wire would do the job, but the actual back-side of the headlights are self-contained when closed up properly right? Would drilling a hole in the back cover to run the wire through be an option, or would that introduce potential problems with the headlights fogging up internally?

-Thank you, I was thinking the same on the 'ease of things' side when it came to replacement lenses.

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:18 PM

If it were me, I'd just use a soldering iron to melt and a cable tie as the welding material. It's a bit fiddly so practice on some scrap plastic beforehand if you can.

The housings can be had for cheaper if you don't mind them coming on the slow boat from China, depends how quick you want them. Also if you find anyone breaking a car with them then you could pick them up cheaper, with the wiring.

I would definitely just use the new housings rather than re-use the ones from inside the lights. You could drill a hole and seal around the wire with silicone, that would stop them fogging up. Or alternative, de-pin the fog light wire from the headlight plug and extend that down.
  • haitch likes this

#5 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:25 AM

I've got a set of lamps with broken tabs I'd be willing to ship if I can find a box.  I don't want anything for them.

Lens wise, the China ones are okay, but not amazing.  They're quite 'hazy'.

• haitch likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#6 haitch

haitch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:08 AM

Sorry for the late reply!

@ttg4l That's clever! I didn't know you could weld with a cable tie!

True, I'm in no rush- off to find a cheaper deal or the right broken Golf!

I see, it does seem easier to just use new housings. I hadn't even thought of de-pinning the wire, how do I convert the pin from the headlight plugs into something that will fit the spade connector coming from the new housings?

@adam- Hello and thank you for the reply!

I really appreciate it thank you, but I have a set of donor lights that I've pulled the extra indicators from sitting in a box already- I wouldn't know what to do with another pair :)

Thank you for the info; not being pendantic but a genuine question, does it make a difference if the lenses are coming from Bulgaria or would they be the same Chinese ones?

Also, is there a visual demonstration of how to re-use the glass from the second set of lights to complete the Joey Mod process? I've read that you smash the glass on one pair and cut/smash the plastic on the other, but I'm struggling to picture how they come together. I thought maybe you literally cut the plastic as close to the back of the glass as possible and then seal it up on the front of the other pair that had their glass broken, but wouldn't that mean there is still a small 'line' of plastic in the way that might not seal up with the bead/groove that the original lens sealant sat in?

Thank you both again and apologies for the super-noob questions  :paperbag:

#7 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:06 AM

This might be a little OTT but you can always buy a 1 pin plug/use butt connectors and put the pin from the headlight plug into that, then on the other half of the plug attach the wire going to the fog light. It'll mean it's completely reversible and no need to damage the headlights in the car with cut wires or drilled back covers. The fog lights can simply be disconnected with the 1 plug.

Once you cut the plastic, you're meant to clean it all off the glass so you're back to bare lenses. A real mind numbing task since it's stuck on really well.

Lenses from Bulgaria and China are likely to be identical and originally from China.

Edited by ttg4l, 24 July 2020 - 03:40 PM.

• haitch likes this

#8 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:15 PM

Lenses from Bulgaria and China are likely to be identical and originally from China.

This.

Quality is meh.  Don't expect OE, but most OE has stone chips anyway so isn't amazing.

• haitch likes this
facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

#9 haitch

haitch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:04 AM

@ttg4l Doesn't sound OTT to me ;) It's a good idea though- I really like the idea that the mod is reversible and leaves OE stuff intact.

I'm learning a lot in this thread, I'd never heard of butt connectors before! Is there a certain size I should get- a quick search on eBay comes up with this listing (https://www.ebay.co....le/121859932941) that sells connectors in different sizes:

Red Connectors: 0.25mm² to 1mm² / Conductor 9/0.30mm - 14/0.30mm.

Blue Connectors: 1.1mm² to 2.6mm² / Conductor 21/0.30mm - 35/0.30mm.

Yellow Connectors: 2.5mm² to 6.5mm² / Conductor 44/0.30mm - 65/0.30mm.

Presumably I'll need a de-pinning tool like this to take the single wire out of the headlight plug? (https://www.ebay.co....UK/313112795694)

Ah I understand now; so I'll need something like a rotary tool/dremel to cut it nicely I'm guessing? And then Sikaflex Black to re-seal the lights, at least from what I've seen in older Joey Mod threads, or is there a newer recommendation nowadays?

On lenses, thank you for the heads-up!

@adam- Understood, I'll take a closer look at the glass on my donor lights and weigh my choices up.

#10 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

Butt connectors won't do that - they literally just join wires together.  Bullets would do it but honestly, it's a set of 25 quid headlights, I'd swap them back before I would be messing about with wiring.

Red/blue is what you need.  Nothing on VAG is >2.5mm unless it's battery/fan related and then you're outside the bay and shouldn't be using crimps that are open to atmos anyway.

• haitch likes this

#11 haitch

haitch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:31 AM

Thank you for the tip on bullet connectors, always wondered what they were called! I'm not entirely sure what you mean about swapping them back? Sorry  :unsure: 

Thank you for the details on the sizing too, never thought about exposure to atmos.

If I was to go the de-pin from the plug way, which pins do I need to disconnect? Is it just pin #2 from the T10 diagram? - https://uk-mkivs.net...at-mod/#1702813

#12 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

I got myself a set of those de-pinning tools and none of those fitted into the connector I was using, and I'm pretty sure the headlight connector has the same size pins so it's unlikely to work. I ended up going with a Laser tool which specifically said it worked for VW connectors.

Sikaflex is still a good choice, either that or tiger seal.

A Dremel would work, but anything to cut the plastic really. It doesn't need to be cut pretty, just cut so you can get the glass detached with a bit of plastic with it.

From that diagram it looks like it's pin 2, yes. If you've got a multimeter then it's worth checking for 12V on that as soon as you've switched the fog lights on, just to double check. It's also worth noting, de-pinning will leave a hole in the plug so ideally it needs to be plugged.

Alternatively, if you go for bullet connectors then you can't slide the VW pin into the connector and make it reversible. That only works if you buy a VW plug to slide it into. So imo you're better off just cutting the fog light wire in such a way that you could use any connector of some sort to reattach at a later date if needed. This means no need to buy a de-pinning tool, and no worrying about the hole in the headlight plug.
  • haitch likes this

#13 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:21 PM

You need to remove the purple locking tab on the plug first.  Most of them slide out the side.  Then you can de-pin.

Sikaflex is good but it'll never come off.  I used black bathroom sealant because I planned on splitting them again and you can get a Stanley through it easily.

If you're wanting to relocate the fogs (I'd cut the original fog wire INSIDE the lamp and extend that back out the headlight).  This means that:
A) the headlights you build will likely leak/won't sell/will get binned so you can fit stock lamps without changing any wiring whatsoever

B) using the wire inside the lamp gives some protection from atmos

Just cut a tiny nick in the bulb cover seal and feed that to your fog.  Use 2.5mm cable at a minimum, they draw a good few amps.

• haitch likes this

#14 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

Good call on the purple tab. Don't forget it or you'll end up pulling too hard and breaking the wire.
  • haitch likes this

#15 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:44 PM

@haitch Just saw these and figured they would be of interest to you: https://www.ebay.co....tm/124274038850

Cheaper than the China ones, and they come with a bit of loom that saves you cutting any wires. Sounds like they come in with the front fogs and the main beam.

Edit: Never mind, they've already sold.

Edited by ttg4l, 26 July 2020 - 05:44 PM.

• haitch likes this

#16 haitch

haitch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:58 PM

Thank you for the really detailed replies @ttg4l and @adam- , both methods are a lot clearer in my head now and seem easy enough to do, I really appreciate it. :)

I'm weighing up the options and will have a think; the de-pinning and re-connecting the wire later is clever, but using the inner fog wire for easy replacements also seems like a good idea.

Both sound like fun projects for someone who's never done this before to have a go at, splitting and resealing is the worrying bit now in an attempt to avoid making a literal mess of it!  :D 

Thank you for the tip on bathroom sealant, I'll definitely be re-opening them for an idea I have in mind so it easy re-opening sounds like a good thing to build with in mind  :Y:  

Ah those fogs would have been ideal! Sorry I saw them too late.  :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.