[Mk4 Golf] Windshield washer pump struggling - Audio, Electrics and Lighting - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

Windshield washer pump struggling

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1146 posts
  • Finland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

I tried to search the forum but could not find posts with siimilar issue, actually there were a bunch of posts from people trying to sell washer pumps on eBay :D

Last year my washer pump stopped working for a day, then it started working again. Not sure if that is related at all.

When I pull the stalk, pump starts with uneven noise and low pressure, after few seconds pressure returns to almost normal but noise is uneven.

When I push the stalk (rear window). It does struggle with uneven noise. First the flow is low and I sometimes see some liquid flow from the front washer jets even though I am pushing the stalk back. Also sometimes the pump gets slow and does sound like it is dying and water flow gets slow also.

I tried to make a video of it, but then it started working nearly as good as normal so I have nothing to show for.

I removed/reinserted the plug to washer pump and also wiggled the fuse. No change.

I am guessing I need a new washer pump, Does anybody think it may be something else?

Thanks!

#2 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:51 PM

Mixing fluid can cause it to congeal. It's a known issue with the beamers and they were only allowed to be filled with OEM fluid at service time.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#3 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:53 PM

Mine is almost the opposite, makes a funny noise when first using the front washer, and some fluid comes out the back washer when using the front washer. But my rear washer has snapped the brass pipe going through the motor so I don't have a functional rear washer anyway.

#4 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1146 posts
  • Finland

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:53 AM

Well, the fluid which goes out from the nozzles and in the container looks fine and fluid. Although I mixed LIDLs -60C wash fluid with another pre-diluted -20C fluid. But that was like 2 years ago and both are alcohol based.

I ordered a used pump which was manufactured on 2017 for 10GBP including shipping. I will try to see if I can check insides of the pump once I change it. hopefully slightly newer pump. The current pump is the original 1J part numbered pump and new one is the updated 1K part numbered pump....

I think fluid leaking front or rear may be because the pump is not able to create enough pressure to block the flow to other side of the circuit...

Edited by yurtesen, 26 July 2020 - 10:54 AM.

#5 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

Is the 1K part compatible? I thought that was for Mk5 onwards.

That sounds right. There's a diaphragm inside that chooses which way the fluid goes. The diaphragm just gets old and becomes too stiff/rigid to move all the way, and the pump can't provide enough pressure to overcome it.

#6 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:23 PM

1K is MK5.

Personally, the Chineseium ones are fine.  Got one in the 5 because mine was also dead from mixed fluid.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#7 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1146 posts
  • Finland

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:55 PM

Yes, it is compatible, updated pump from 2003 and onwards.

http://www.oemepc.co...9/lang/e#sec_10

The old pump gave up last week and I had to change it. The 1K pump was quite similar the only major difference was that the connector is attached 180 degrees rotated. It was not possible to remove connector from old pump without removing the pump from the reservoir as the opening tab was towards the wall. Otherwise they looked quite similar, maybe the new pump is slightly thinner as it did not feel as snug as the old pump in the groove of the reservoir.

The pump location was not nice, I had to unscrew coolant reservoir, power steering fluid reservoir and the charcoal canister. Then I could pull out the washing fluid reservoir and tip it sideways so it did not leak when I removed the old pump. There was not much fluid anyway but I took time to clean around it before inserting new pump. It was good that the new pump came with a new rubber seal because the old one was broken when I removed it.

I am on a trip and I did not yet tried to disect the old pump...it looked like it may have gotten rusted inside...It was made in 2002. :)

• ttg4l likes this

#8 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9829 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

a heads-up to people that mix fluids and it starts to congeal, blowout the washer pipes, take them of the washer-jets and blow them through. Either use compressed air or blow them through with a handpump or your mouth... because once it goes passed the pump it'll be in the lines and that can cause the washer-jets to not work even though the pump still gives enough pressure 

#9 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1146 posts
  • Finland

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:25 PM

New pump is still working. I have now mixed 5 different brands and mixtures of washer liquids. From LIDL, and 2 different market chains and also from 2 different car parts retailers... Including a summer version and winter version. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.