#1 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:40 PM

I'm getting some pinking under load on hot days, and suspecting either that the knock sensor is faulty or that I've got something wrong in my fuel system. Granny driving results in 0 audible pinking.

Car is a 1.6 16V and I am running 99 octane fuel. 98 recommended, and the car runs really bad on 95 - would this mean it's more likely fuel system related? 

How do I go about interpreting knock sensor readings from VCDS? And are there any measuring blocks I should be paying particular attention to?

TIA as always.

#2 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

This is how they trash valves.  Doesn't help with 95 ron either.  I can't remember the block but all ME7 is the same.  It's in the 30's IIRC.  More than 6 degrees is bad although it should pull it itself well before you're hearing it.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#3 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:47 AM

I'll have a nose around and see what I can find.

It used to be really bad and you could hear it all the time, but then I fixed that EGR leak and sealed up the hot air intake flap inside the airbox which settled it down for a while.

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:18 AM

When I dropped the oil yesterday I noticed my downpipe is leaking again, could this influence the amount of detonation? It's after the pre-cat lambda sensor, but before the post-cat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.