13 replies to this topic

#1 Mark111

Mark111

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:13 AM

Iam thinking of buying a mk4 golf 2003 66,000.miles 1.6 Match are these cars a good buy or do they have problems any information would be grateful

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

I've got a 2004 MK4 1.6, it's been reasonably solid for the 40k miles I've owned it. There's a thread with common faults listed, which apply to every MK4.

The EGR is a common issue on the 1.6, but there's a revised part with a black plastic upper half. Easy to change if it goes faulty though.

#3 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9559 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:07 PM

other than the coilpack i don't really think the bcb engines have a lot of problems.. other than being way to under powered for my liking... 

#4 Mark111

Mark111

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

I've got a 2004 MK4 1.6, it's been reasonably solid for the 40k miles I've owned it. There's a thread with common faults listed, which apply to every MK4.

The EGR is a common issue on the 1.6, but there's a revised part with a black plastic upper half. Easy to change if it goes faulty though.

#5 Mark111

Mark111

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

Thank you very much for reply. how does your engine feel under powered or ok just asking so I get an idea as other chap commented on this

#6 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:24 PM

It's perfectly adequate as a daily, it doesn't feel too sluggish and it gets me 45mpg on a long run. It loves to rev and it's quick enough to pull out at a roundabout and not end up being in the way.

Don't expect to be able to get any extra power out of it, but regular, good servicing and it'll be fine.

Give it a test drive and see what you think. It also depends on what car you're coming from, come from a 60hp 1.2 and it'll feel quick, come from a 200bhp 2.0tfsi and you'll think it's slow.
  • Mark111 likes this

#7 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10469 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:46 PM

Aren't the gearboxes the weak point on the 1.6 cars ??

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#8 Mark111

Mark111

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

It's perfectly adequate as a daily, it doesn't feel too sluggish and it gets me 45mpg on a long run. It loves to rev and it's quick enough to pull out at a roundabout and not end up being in the way.

Don't expect to be able to get any extra power out of it, but regular, good servicing and it'll be fine.

Give it a test drive and see what you think. It also depends on what car you're coming from, come from a 60hp 1.2 and it'll feel quick, come from a 200bhp 2.0tfsi and you'll think it's slow.

• Mark111 likes this

#9 Mark111

Mark111

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Mk4 Models

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:05 PM

Sounds like its powerful enough for what I want mainly around town. as long as its not underpowered iam sure it will be ok. I will.have a test drive as there doesn't seem to be to many problems with this model

#10 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:25 PM

Aren't the gearboxes the weak point on the 1.6 cars ??

Think that's mainly on earlier 1.6 cars, where the rivets come loose and destroy the box. Mine is on 164k with no major issues so far.

#11 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9559 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:02 AM

Think that's mainly on earlier 1.6 cars, where the rivets come loose and destroy the box. Mine is on 164k with no major issues so far.

jup these are the same problem gearboxes that were used on the polo 6n/6n2 1.6 gti, the later models got bolts instead of the rivets... and also a known solution to sort out the polo gti gearboxes...  but i have driven the lighter polo 6n gti with the same BCB engine and can tell you, that going from that one to the mk4 1.6 you actually feel the engine needs to work a lot harder to carry that extra weight...  

I almost bought one just for fun but the gearbox wasn't something i wanted to split so i didn't in the end ( car didn't have history so i walked off) 

#12 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

jup these are the same problem gearboxes that were used on the polo 6n/6n2 1.6 gti, the later models got bolts instead of the rivets... and also a known solution to sort out the polo gti gearboxes...  but i have driven the lighter polo 6n gti with the same BCB engine and can tell you, that going from that one to the mk4 1.6 you actually feel the engine needs to work a lot harder to carry that extra weight...  

I almost bought one just for fun but the gearbox wasn't something i wanted to split so i didn't in the end ( car didn't have history so i walked off) 

The 6n2 Polo GTi actually had more power too, it was 125bhp, whereas the Golf with the 1.6 16V is 105bhp. Different engine codes (ARC/AVY vs. ATN/AUS/AZD/BCB), but the basic block was the same on both cars.

Doesn't seem wise having lower power in a heavier car, but the 1.6 16V Golf is far from being a GTi, and the 1.8 NA GTi only had 125bhp so it'd be bad for VW's rep to have the same amount of power in the 1.6 16V.

#13 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9559 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:13 AM

Than the one I looked at must have been a later put in engine... but i walked away because no history, and reading your reply I am glad I did... it had the full polo gti spec though but something was off to me... i mean even if he just bought the car he should have some receipts but non of that... so i walked away.

And if I am honest I actually always preferred the polo 6n2 gti over the golf mk4 that was until the anniversary and the r32 and r-line body kits came out... they streamline them... gone is the heavyweight look of the mk4... something i think the polo 6n and 6n2 don't suffer from even the lower specced ones look alright.

But I ended up in a mk4 golf and although I loved it I will never get one again... as it'll be an ongoing project until it dies (read i won't be able to stop to modify it)
So i am not getting one again...

#14 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:28 AM

And if I am honest I actually always preferred the polo 6n2 gti over the golf mk4 that was until the anniversary and the r32 and r-line body kits came out... they streamline them... gone is the heavyweight look of the mk4

Agreed. Mine looks fat and overweight compared to the anni.

• northpole likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.