[Mk4 Golf] H&R Front ARB for the Mk4 - fitment issues - Suspension, Brakes and Chassis - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

H&R Front ARB for the Mk4 - fitment issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DieselDub51

DieselDub51

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone may be able to offer some advice, I'm trying to install a H&R uprated front ARB as part of the build of my Mk4 FWD project and I'm having a few issues.

The ARB P/N is HR-33525-1 and is the type with the enlarged loops to give a bit more clearance on the driveshafts when lowering. It came with new rubber / Teflon bushes and I have replaced the clamps and bolts with new OEM items.

The problems I'm having:

1.The collars on the ARB which locate against the inner side of the mounting bushes appear to be too large in diameter and are digging into the subframe when the ARB clamps are fully tightened.

2. The centre section of the H&R ARB is completely straight whereas the OEM item had some bends in it to give clearance. The problem with this is that it contacts the steering rack mounting bolts, preventing them from being fully wound in. The steering rack bolts are also new OEM and I have checked them against the removed parts, they are the same length.

Has anyone else experienced these issues with the H&R ARB? I am considering removing some material from the collars in order to give a bit of clearance from the subframe, and cutting down the steering rack bolts to prevent them hitting the ARB but looking at other aftermarket / performance ARB's such as Eibach, these seem to have similar bends to the OEM VAG part and therefore wouldn't have these issues.

If you can offer some help or advice it would be gratefully received. I can't send the ARB back now as the distributor I used appears to have ceased trading  :( but worst-case I will just have to buy a different one and try and eBay this one.

Thanks a lot,

Rich

Attached File  HR Front ARB 3.JPG   41.7KB   5 downloadsAttached File  HR Front ARB 2.JPG   54.17KB   5 downloadsAttached File  HR Front ARB 1.jpg   40.6KB   5 downloads

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9831 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

I can't say i have but it seems that part isn't made for your car, it should be clear of everything when mounted... without you having to modify anything... you are better off going the tried and test route... White-line ARB's are usually fit and forget, or go for the large items found on the LCR or TT mk1 

#3 DieselDub51

DieselDub51

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Surrey

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:17 AM

Hi Northpole,

Thanks a lot for your reply. The problem I face if I opt for a different ARB (such as the Whiteline) is that my suspension kit doesn't have the brackets for the drop links. I am using Mk1 TT front wishbones which are drilled and tapped for the short drop links to attach to this 'over-the-top' type of ARB. I have the Whiteline adjustable drop links (mostly because I liked the look of them!)

I contacted a couple of UK H&R distributors yesterday with the info and photos and both came back to me with confirmation that it is the correct part number for the Mk4. All of the Mk4 subframes are based on the same pressed steel member as far as I know, so it seems really strange that this ARB doesn't fit straight out of the box. I might see if I can contact H&R directly and see what they say, I'm slightly annoyed that I can't send it back as the distributor is no longer trading.

Thanks,

Rich

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9831 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

not all the mk4 have the pressed steel wishbones... the mk4 anniversary 180bhp model has the same same setup as you have now... so they should have one for that setup if they don't than you probably need to go for another brand (the tried and tested as i pointed out before) so if they don't do one for an anniversary spec model than they probably won't help you any further

#5 DieselDub51

DieselDub51

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Surrey

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:13 PM

Oh sorry Northpole I was talking about the subframe being pressed steel, not the wishbones. My train of thought was that if the ARB doesn't fit properly on my subframe it probably wouldn't fit on any Mk4 plaftorm subframe if you see what I mean, as it would still interfere with the steering rack bolts and the locating collars would still rub on the subframe. The only real difference in Mk4 subframes that I know of is that some have the lateral brace to give increased stiffness on the more powerful models but apart from that they are pretty much the same pressing?

So..the Anni model, are you saying that had the 'over the top' style of ARB with the drop links on the wishbones? That is interesting, I didn't realise that. I'm reluctant to change to the other type of ARB as I said, mainly because my new front struts don't have the drop link brackets on them. If I was starting from scratch again then I'd probably have chosen that setup instead but you live and learn, right?

I've emailed H&R in Germany anyway, just to see what their take on it might be. I'm not expecting much though. Slightly frustrating as I was hoping to have the subframe, rack, ARB and front suspension fitted this week as I've got a few days off... typical  :doh:

Cheers,

Rich

#6 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9831 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:22 AM

Oh sorry Northpole I was talking about the subframe being pressed steel, not the wishbones. My train of thought was that if the ARB doesn't fit properly on my subframe it probably wouldn't fit on any Mk4 plaftorm subframe if you see what I mean, as it would still interfere with the steering rack bolts and the locating collars would still rub on the subframe. The only real difference in Mk4 subframes that I know of is that some have the lateral brace to give increased stiffness on the more powerful models but apart from that they are pretty much the same pressing?

So..the Anni model, are you saying that had the 'over the top' style of ARB with the drop links on the wishbones? That is interesting, I didn't realise that. I'm reluctant to change to the other type of ARB as I said, mainly because my new front struts don't have the drop link brackets on them. If I was starting from scratch again then I'd probably have chosen that setup instead but you live and learn, right?

I've emailed H&R in Germany anyway, just to see what their take on it might be. I'm not expecting much though. Slightly frustrating as I was hoping to have the subframe, rack, ARB and front suspension fitted this week as I've got a few days off... typical  :doh:

Cheers,

Rich

yeah they are the same except for the TT convertible and RS3 that have an extra mount... long story short they either do not fit or they replace them... your subframe is standard your arms are the cast ones because you upgraded so effectively your setup is the same as the Anniversary model... and that is why i mentioned it.. some extra info for the manufacturer... that said it should have either a few bends or should be a bit thinner at those points... if they don't do them like that you should ask if they can supply you one that is made to clear the parts that's causing the problems... unless they send you a picture back with theirs being like that... that means you got a copy.. 

and thinking that way you might want to mark the problem parts and find a place that can use heat and a bender to get those parts to clear... might not be the cheapest way but in the end it means you don't have to buy another one... or if you own a welder cut and modify the darn thing... 

#7 Henrym3

Henrym3

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cumbria
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:43 PM

I have the H&R roll bar fitted admittance on an r32 but it is kinked/shaped in the middle to overcome the problems you mentioned, also from your pics I note that those round pieces are on the inside of the mounting brackets. On mine they are on the outside of the brackets. If they are like mine they are two half moons held together by two Allen screws so can be moved to the outside then perhaps they won’t catch.

#8 DieselDub51

DieselDub51

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Surrey

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:04 PM

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your input, appreciate it. As I couldn’t send the ARB back and H&R in Germany don’t seem interested in giving me any technical support, I’ve opted to take matters into my own hands.

The collars are one-piece on this ARB and are located inboard of the mounting bushes, as per the OEM item so I’ve modified them to reduce the O.D. to match the OEM part.

I’ve also cut the steering rack front mounting bolts down by a few mm to provide sufficient clearance from the new ARB.

Overall, frustrating and more than a little annoying but hopefully it’ll do the job. I’ve now bought the Whiteline rear ARB to complement the front setup and hopefully give a little bit of oversteer when pushing it.

Thanks,

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • northpole likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.