Kjohal1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Lancashire
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:28 AM

Hey folks

Thinking of adding a black grill to my mk4 and wondering what finish should I go for. Ive seen some black metallic ones for sale but not sure if that would work.

Any of you silver golf Owners have one and what colour/finish have you gone for.

I guess I could just have mine repainted 🤔
Golf GTTDI PD130 2003
Previous Golf GTTDI PD 115 2001
16 years in a MK4 and still going

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:18 AM

I painted mine matte black with a Halfords matte black spray can.

Didn't prime underneath, just cleaned it well and sanded it back with 800 grit. Four layers of matte black and it still looks good 3 years later, aside from the normal stone chipping.

I'll get you a picture later, but mine is a 1.6 so I have a black rub strip/bumper moulding too.

#3 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9559 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:22 AM

i actually use satin black as it has a slight shine to it... and looks way better than matt black but that is my opinion... i just degreased my gt tdi one and sprayed it right on,,, i did remove the logo so i only did the slats and the logo round bit... it had the effect i was going for... and unlike others i gave it only 2 layers... never came off and i used the cheap poundland rattle cans... used 2 as they only hold 200ml later on i got some more and painted all the bumper grills with it also... set me back a measly 5 pounds. but the overall look was simply amazing... (car was oem satin silver )

#4 Kjohal1

Kjohal1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Lancashire
  • Golf IV GTTDI 1.9 ASZ 130PS

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Thanks guys think I might just grab some spray and give it a go
Golf GTTDI PD130 2003
Previous Golf GTTDI PD 115 2001
16 years in a MK4 and still going

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.