[Mk4 Golf] The joy of the Auto-dimming Mirror breaking... - Interiors - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

The joy of the Auto-dimming Mirror breaking...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Hampshire
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v AUE 204PS

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:15 PM

So about 6 years ago I had a vw Bora V5 Sport, had electric rain sensors and auto dimming mirror, which was fine until we had a summer where it got to about 34c, which inside the car was more like 3000c, so the mirror died and so I got a second hand one on ebay.

Last year in March I bought a mk4 4motion and managed to get 50 quid off because the mirror had already done the same thing, struggled to get a new mirror, but managed to find one for about £45, which has died recently it seems (as my car gets hot in the later part of the day parked on the drive).

I thought rather than muck about trying to find another mk4 golf/bora one which are starting to get rare, are there any other ones? are Passat ones of the same era the same? I presume if so that models up to 2005 fit.

What about mk5 golfs, seems auto-dimming mirrors were more common in the mk5, even though they are slightly different.

Finally regardless of what I do, is there any way to stop it happening or is it just random luck?

#2 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10541 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:25 PM

Like you said it's the direct sunlight and interior cabin temp which cooks them.

A reflective windscreen shade would be good in summer , they even sell rectangle shaped umbrellas now for this use

Ppl also fit those stick on side window wind deflectors, so you can crack the window slightly open when parked, although this is obviously a risk if you park somewhere unsafe

Having a grey coloured housing rather than a black one surely helps to keep the temps down for the mirror internals.

.as for other models, Passat might be a direct slot on, you really need to have a loom on eBay and check the fitting.

Mk5 has a different base , whether you can butcher the mirror to fit the Mk4 stalk is worth a shot as Mk5 mirrors are cheap

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#3 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9829 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:00 PM

or you just fit one one of those mirror mounted dashcams, it snaps around the existing mirror casing and you can run it with or without a rear/reverse camera if you so desire...  I got one and they are quite useful and how i ran the cables they are out of view... actually if you don't look straight at the mirror from the outside you wouldn't even notice it is there... 

so you can add functionality at a decent price if you wanted too... that is what i did (and my vectra doesn't have a problem with the auto dimming function by the way) I just wanted the option of recording my trips, and have evidence in case of accidents.   

#4 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Hampshire

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:06 PM

or you just fit one one of those mirror mounted dashcams, it snaps around the existing mirror casing and you can run it with or without a rear/reverse camera if you so desire...  I got one and they are quite useful and how i ran the the dashcam the cables they are out of view... actually if you don't look straight at the mirror from the outside you wouldn't even notice it is there... 

so you can add functionality at a decent price if you wanted too... that is what i did (and my vectra doesn't have a problem with the auto dimming function by the way) I just wanted the option of recording my trips, and have evidence in case of accidents.   

To be honest thats not a bad shout, in my Mk4 I have a kenwood 7" screen with a parking cam, my T4 only has a single Din headunit so did look in to the screen cam mirrors.

For the price I am sure I found one that directly mounts on to the vw mirror point, the one you had, did that dim as well?

I thought about mk5 ones because they are super dirt cheap, but for the price of a Mk4 one the camera type make sense

#5 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9829 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:18 PM

Yeah mine autodims also... but not as well as the original mirror in the car.. think they did it so the screen behind the mirror doesn't need to be extra bright.. it's not even a big brand i got a Chinese one, the ones you can find on Wish, Aliexpress and eBay.... and a few other sites... I bought mine from a Chinese supplier with UK stock... had it in a few days, installation was very easy. But I wished I waited a week before purchasing it as now for the same price they have one that is a full touchscreen version... and the screen behind the mirror is a lot bigger...

Bought mine for 25 pounds but it has been working fine for over 2 years now... has a 32gb memory card in and it records automatically, starts up on ignition and actually records motion on both inputs from the front and the rear regardless of the car being started yes or no... (and I set it to overwrite just in-case the memory card is full)

Long story short I'm quite happy with mine.

#6 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Hampshire

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:59 AM

So I bought one of those touch screen mirrors, with an integrated dashcam, but I was struggling to get it to fit the way I'd like on the mirror. The have rubber bands that clamp over the mirror, but the arms aren't wide enough to get over the mirror!

So instead I went for an OEM approach. Mk5 mirrors are way more common and cheaper, they don't die as much because they have gel, not liquid in them like mk4s, scored one on ebay for 8quid. Which is where my troubles/a project began.

The Mk5 mirror mount is different, however the wiring at the connector where it plugs in to the car is the same pinout, so I hacked the centre out of my mk4 mirror for the support arm bit(there is an annoying retaining ring to remove and refit on the mk4 arm, the Mk5 one is just hard to remove), glued that in to the Mk5, swapped the Mk5 cable in to the mk4 arm(Mk5 ones longer and wired different internally) put it back in for an OEM solution.

The draw back (if anyone cares) is I have a grey arm and a black mirror, but from what I can tell it works and if I do a black headliner then mirrors already done :)
d20101df0a9d1bad5b0a5e210eae04cf.jpg343b8665290b822216f9d2a84d4c4b30.jpg1c33fe1f6e0685ab3f389c41ef197f96.jpg

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

#7 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10541 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:15 AM

So you get a Mk5 mirror, and splice / use the MK4 stalk and connector?

#8 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Hampshire

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:53 AM

Basically:

Mk4 mounting arm, the socket section from the mk4 mirror bonded inside the Mk5 mirror body, cable from the Mk5.

The connectors on the mk4/5 are the same the car end, it's just the Mk5 cable connects different inside the mirror and is longer.

I took the plug to pieces where it connects to the mirror, there's a small cover slides off the plug, then I used a small blade to release the pins so they pull out, do the same on both cables and fit the Mk5 cable to the mk4 mounting arm. b440654dc83afeacd2ca736abac7caf7.jpg3eeacaeb8811e21e7189e8a6fee134fd.jpg

#9 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10541 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:22 AM

Nice one.

I replaced my grey R32 dimming mirror for a black cased dimming mirror

Not sure what it came out of but it dims with a green shade, whereas the R32 stuff dims with a blue shade , so it matches all the glass and stuff. Small difference, but I couldn't find any other vag car mirror so far that dims in blue

#10 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Hampshire

Posted 31 August 2020 - 01:33 PM

I get the feeling this dims a blue colour, original one was a yellow colour which didn't really work on modern xenon/led headlights, but I think mk5s they went over to a bluey colour.

• Gti Fly likes this

#11 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10541 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:50 PM

That's good to know !

#12 Burgy

Burgy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf V GT FSI 2.0 150PS

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:37 PM

My Mk5 auto dim is green in colour

#13 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Hampshire

Posted Yesterday, 07:59 PM

So been using mine for a while now, wouldn’t say it dims a colour, it just darkens. What I did find though is if you’re super cool and have 3 headrests on the back seat, the mirror can’t see the person behind you so doesn’t dim. Took the middle head rest out and it’s been fine and dandy!

#14 Burgy

Burgy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf V GT FSI 2.0 150PS

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 PM

Just lower the middle headrest (if you are super cool) so that if the seat is empty is doesn't obstruct the rear view mirror, if you are really super cool it isn't an issue as friends are sitting in the back seats

Edited by Burgy, Yesterday, 10:05 PM.

#15 bugsy_malone 666

bugsy_malone 666

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Hampshire

Posted Yesterday, 10:17 PM

Just lower the middle headrest (if you are super cool) so that if the seat is empty is doesn't obstruct the rear view mirror, if you are really super cool it isn't an issue as friends are sitting in the back seats

Yeah doesnt work unfortunately, on my mk6 it has these nice low profile headrests in the back, but on the mk4, they are all the same size! So they were all as low as they'd go, but that still makes them about 6-8" higher than the normal seat. Taking it out sorted it though. I did wonder if there is a low profile version that would fit and work with the leather interiors, or if the mk5/6 ones would direct swap in.

#16 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10541 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted Today, 12:25 PM

I also found with my MK4 R32 after I tinted the windows, the dimming mirror didn't work as well as before. Similar problem to having a 3rd headrest

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.