Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Poland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:35 PM

Hello

I will be doing windshield conservation on my MK4 so I have to remove wiper mechanism, airfilter box and electrical box. I noticed that there are two types of box with electrical plugs. I have type 1 now. But maybe it is better to put type 2 box ? It looks smaller and it is black. What type of box do you have in your mk4s ?

5000615700_1596566055_thumb.jpg 4319156100_1596566055_thumb.jpg

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:13 PM

We need more info take pictures from your cat than ask what you actually want to know... as for now my answer will be why change stuff that clearly is working as intended?

#3 locarno

locarno

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Poland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:22 PM

I want to clear whole windshield from dirt and ground, fix rust if any, and put some conservation. I think when I remove air filter box and electrical box seals will be broken. So I can put new seal or but whole box which isn't expensive.The black also looks better and is not as visible as white. So I'm asking is you have any experience with this two types of boxes.

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:42 PM

I think you'll find that the second one is a part of the airbox for the interior and the white one runs cables and some relays to the ecu...

#5 locarno

locarno

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Poland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:17 PM

Yes but the box that runs cables have two version as you saw in first message

5000615700_1596566055_thumb.jpg 4319156100_1596566055_thumb.jpg

#6 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:10 PM

And as you saw in my answer... you don't have to change it... you are making it hard for no reason... because both of them will let water enter the cabin if the drains are clogged....

#7 locarno

locarno

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Poland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:40 AM

Ok. So just clear it and put new seals. What do you use to protect/conservate windshield to prevent rust ? Can I use chassis maintenance agent to protect windshield ?

#8 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:06 AM

What are you trying to protect from rust? Because a windshield won't rust.

#9 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:31 AM

@ttg4l he is on about the scuttle panel... you'd know that if you read the first post... 

@locarno you shouldn't find any rust down there as the car is galvanised and the scuttle has a layer of anti-corrosion on it already... if you damage it however it will start rusting... and i have broken a few mk4's never found any rust near the scuttle panel....  even my old one that had a hard time living close to the coast had rust in most places but the scuttle panel was rust free... 

but if it needs to be done  yo use the same stuff that you use to prevent it on the rest of the metal... 

• locarno likes this

#10 locarno

locarno

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Poland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:33 PM

Yes you right but that didn't helped for fenders and skirts. I ended up with hole in fender and skirt.

I have one more question. How this should be ? Plastic under seal or seal under plastik ? I saw vechciles with this and this method but which is out of factory state ?

4114909200_1596911564.jpg

Edited by locarno, 08 August 2020 - 06:33 PM.

#11 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10711 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

Scuttle sits over the top, not under.

Never seen that box, but the seal should be fine.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#12 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:54 AM

Yes you right but that didn't helped for fenders and skirts. I ended up with hole in fender and skirt.

I have one more question. How this should be ? Plastic under seal or seal under plastik ? I saw vechciles with this and this method but which is out of factory state ?
4114909200_1596911564.jpg

Did you not read my reply properly i told you mine had rust everywhere except for the scuttle panel... in the time I had the car over 10 years i had to cut out rust on the floor and rebuild it, replace the rear beam, replace the sills(both sides) repair the front fenders, replace axles, replace the hatch, replace the subframes etc etc etc all because of rust but the scuttle panel was rust free ..

Now my car was bought from the 2nd owner that lived in a costal town,and he kept the car parked on the road... so the car had to deal with salt for at least 5 years on a daily basis... it also didn't help that the car was flooded twice in that time...
Yet the scuttle and shock towers did not have any rust..

So unless your car has had a similar situation for a longer period of time i doubt it will have any rust down there...
  • locarno likes this

#13 locarno

locarno

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Poland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:08 PM

Scuttle sits over the top, not under.

Never seen that box, but the seal should be fine.

Scuttle is window plastic ?

So this one one the picture below is correct ?

3171611800_1596992927.jpg

#14 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10711 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:43 PM

Looks correct, although zoomed in as flip.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#15 locarno

locarno

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Poland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:12 PM

I'm not sure about it. I asked few people and one says it should be under while another says above.

#16 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:03 AM

and everyone that answered your question here said it's ontop... so if you ask me ... IT IS ON TOP! and if you aren't sure look in the EPC you'll soon see the position when you look it up so RTFM.... 

#17 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:19 AM

I'm not sure about it. I asked few people and one says it should be under while another says above.

On mine the rubber is on top of the plastic. The rubber is part of your outer door seal/rubber trim along the car.

I thought it was meant to be underneath, but the guy who replaced my windscreen was adamant it goes on top. But he also said he's gone and glued the plastic scuttle panel to the windscreen, which isn't ideal.

Take from that what you will.

#18 Gti Fly

Gti Fly

I live here

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10516 posts
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

On my R32 the scuttle stays with the glass, and the rubber sits on top of the scuttle.

It seems to make more sense that way as the scuttle is hard plastic and moulded to the shape of the glass. It wouldn't make sense for the rubber to be under the hard moulded scuttle plastic. There would be a bigger gap that way
  • locarno likes this

<a href="https://uk-mkivs.net/...d-0-60-569secs/">Click for pics of my car</a>
Shoulda got a 150 tdi - everyone knows they are best..

#19 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:30 PM

on mine it was sat ontop of it and it was that thight when i had to remove it i actually broke it... so on top is my answer, note my windscreen was never replaced... so it came from the factory like that. 

#20 locarno

locarno

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Poland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:39 PM

and everyone that answered your question here said it's ontop... so if you ask me ... IT IS ON TOP! and if you aren't sure look in the EPC you'll soon see the position when you look it up so RTFM.... 

What is EPC ? you mean epc light on dash ?

I looked into service manual and there's info about removing rubber before removing scuttle. So it looks like the rubber should be on top. Maybe it depends who mounted this car in factory.

7066484100_1597243152.png

#21 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:40 PM

What is EPC ? you mean epc light on dash ?
I looked into service manual and there's info about removing rubber before removing scuttle. So it looks like the rubber should be on top. Maybe it depends who mounted this car in factory.

7066484100_1597243152.png

ELECTRONIC PARTS CATALOGUE

#22 locarno

locarno

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Poland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v SE AUS

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:59 PM

:Y: please don't quote whole message. This is not needed if you write under my previous message.

#23 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:08 PM

:Y: please don't quote whole message. This is not needed if you write under my previous message.

I do what I want... couldn't be arsed to edit your text...

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.