#1 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:17 AM

Dropped my oil yesterday and it smelt quite exhausty, it did so last time as well but the last change was after 10k miles so I just assumed it was because the oil change was a bit late. This time round it was after 4k miles.

Is it likely to just be because of blow by? Or something more sinister? It's a bit of an exhaust/petrol smell. Oil level doesn't increase between changes. Oil otherwise looked okay, no milky-ness and it didn't look thinner than it should.

The car is on 164k miles.

TIA.

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9842 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

in combo with the engine pinking i think there is more stuff wrong... I would have a compression test done..   

#3 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:00 PM

I'd already ruled out compression since the car burns minimal oil between changes (never needs topping up), doesn't emit any blue smoke, has no misfiring, and starts good hot/cold, but I'll get a compression test done anyway. 

I was thinking it could be a bad oil separator which could be letting the crankcase vent straight into the sump.

Or maybe a bad injector, which I was thinking could also cause some pinking.

#4 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9842 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:25 AM

yes all possible...  but with the egr being one of the problems on your engine it might be that. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.