DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Wales
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:57 AM

Found the steering leak. Seals have blown on the passenger side and there's a knock from the drivers side, which originally I thought was suspension related. And just to make life more difficult, I can't find many for sale on fleabay or elsewhere that would fit. 

Anyhow, cut ranting and straight to the argument...

It's got some sort of quick rack fitted to it. Ever since I brought it, it's always had 2.5 turns. I'm on 16" wheels, (2002). I've driven others which are the same 2.5 turns but they were running 17" wheels, (2003) and another had 3 turns but was on 16" wheels, (2000).

So my questions are:

1. There 2 versions of the rack for a mk4 Golf v6 4Mo, (excl. r32) - standard and quick lock?
  2. If I put a standard one on and not a quick rack is that going to fubar my ESP? In the same way that fitting a quick rack in place of a standard one does?
  3. Are the VW PR numbers interchangeable? Eg: Can I use a QZ5 part if a QZ2 isn't available?

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9844 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:58 AM

1- best to check on the EPC 

2- it shouldn't as ESP is ABS module based ( there are only a few basic models that actually don't have it) 

3- you can always exchange for higher part number not the other way around

• DerPanzerWagen likes this

#3 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Wales

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:51 PM

1- best to check on the EPC 

2- it shouldn't as ESP is ABS module based ( there are only a few basic models that actually don't have it) 

3- you can always exchange for higher part number not the other way around

1. Checked. At the top of the revision tree there. 
  2. Phew
  3. See no 1. Can't go down as all the other part numbers are lower than mine.

Also turns out it's now an exchange part, (X at the end) which makes it a bit cheaper than the price for the original part. (About £700 rather than over £1000!)

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9844 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:00 AM

I bet you can easily use one that is lower if the abs module has the same number so if i was you I would be looking at a salvaged one from an audi tt quarttro or an audi a3 3p quattro or from a v6 4 motion or an r32....

Just ask what the part number on the ABS module is.
  • DerPanzerWagen likes this

#5 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9360 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:33 PM

https://www.ebay.co....UcAAOSwGvhT7fCw

I used these guys for my R32 rack (upgrade for 1.8T). Give them a call.

:Y:

• Neutron and DerPanzerWagen like this

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#6 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Wales

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:36 PM

I bet you can easily use one that is lower if the abs module has the same number so if i was you I would be looking at a salvaged one from an audi tt quarttro or an audi a3 3p quattro or from a v6 4 motion or an r32....

Just ask what the part number on the ABS module is.

It's an MK60. I only know this because some idiot once said that I needed a new module and not a wheel sensor.

#7 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Wales

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:39 PM

https://www.ebay.co....UcAAOSwGvhT7fCw

I used these guys for my R32 rack (upgrade for 1.8T). Give them a call.

:Y:

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a shout. (The one linked to isn't the correct one as I need the M16 tie rods.)

#8 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9844 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a shout. (The one linked to isn't the correct one as I need the M16 tie rods.)

Im sure they can sort you out mate... at a lesser cost than buying a brand new one ;) 

#9 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Wales

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:47 AM

Im sure they can sort you out mate... at a lesser cost than buying a brand new one ;)

Level unlocked: New steering rack obtained.

• northpole likes this

#10 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9844 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

And now it just waiting for it to be sorted... than back on and you can enjoy the car again.

#11 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Wales

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:22 AM

Just had a call from the garage to say that it doesn't fit the new rack:

No holes for the heatshield and the point where it goes onto the steering column is an inch out! Looks like wrong one supplied or my car is odd!

Any ideas?!

#12 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9844 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:59 AM

Just had a call from the garage to say that it doesn't fit the new rack:

No holes for the heatshield and the point where it goes onto the steering column is an inch out! Looks like wrong one supplied or my car is odd!

Any ideas?!

I would ask them to compare the partnumbers if they are all the same than it should go straight on.

#13 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Wales

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

I would ask them to compare the partnumbers if they are all the same than it should go straight on.

Should have done as I've been told these are all a straight fit! They are saying it was a genuine r32 one. They should both be the same in both those respects. Sending it back now as it's not going to fit anyway as it's obviously for a completely different car. 

As I suspected. Internet says looks like a Mercedes c class...

steering-rack-zoom.jpg

Edited by DerPanzerWagen, 15 August 2020 - 05:49 PM.

#14 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9360 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:42 AM

My 'R32' one had a different heat shield also. The 1.8T heatshield did not fit.

I bought the one that protects the neck of of the rack from TPS (genuine OEM).

I wrapped the middle section with fibre glass reflective wrap held on with metal cable ties IIRC.

Interesting you have the same issue. These racks must be R32 racks... no way it could happen twice.

:) 

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#15 DerPanzerWagen

DerPanzerWagen

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Wales

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:51 AM

My 'R32' one had a different heat shield also. The 1.8T heatshield did not fit.

I bought the one that protects the neck of of the rack from TPS (genuine OEM).

I wrapped the middle section with fibre glass reflective wrap held on with metal cable ties IIRC.

Interesting you have the same issue. These racks must be R32 racks... no way it could happen twice.

Yes, I've already brought the heat shield for it but there is nowhere to fix it to. So we had to leave it at that. We can cope with shielding the rest by cutting the current heat shield. 

Now though since putting the old one back on, all the noises have stopped.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.