Burgy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf V GT FSI 2.0 150PS

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:48 AM

Had a warning light come on, just before the car was due a service (the Cat Converter light in the dash) they ran OBD and said it was actually the EGR, they reset and did the MOT.  Anyhoo about 10 miles down  the road it came on again, as expected. Thought I'd have a dig around. and I found this. See Pic.

50216941043_c6846dbc52_k.jpgIMG_2011 by Paul Burgman, on Flickr

I have turned the gear through a few degrees & reinstalled, and will reset the lights. Is this just down to age (it is 15 years & 128k miles old) or is it likely something else? I have rotated the EGR mechanism by hand, it doesn't feel particularly stiff &  is smooth with no notchiness. I am hoping that it will give a few months service, having just spent a fortune on bits for the MOT.

TIA

Edited by Burgy, 12 August 2020 - 08:49 AM.

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:39 AM

Turning the gear to avoid the broken teeth is a common fix.

So long as the EGR can open and close fully without touching the broken teeth then it should last.

#3 Burgy

Burgy

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf V GT FSI 2.0 150PS

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:02 AM

Ok the fix didn't last very long, it has now sheared the gears at the other end of the mech, so I have ordered a new EGR, from EuroCarParts, made by HAAS for just over £100. Are these any good? Although to be honest I am hoping to replace the car in the new year, so as long as it lasts till then I'll be happy.

https://www.eurocarp...s4aAmlzEALw_wcB

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:06 AM

If it were my car I'd have gone for a second hand, genuine unit, but you'll have a years warranty with the ECP part so you shouldn't need to worry too much about it. The only HAAS part I've tried is a brake light switch and that's been fine, but I can't comment about their other parts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk5 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.