[Mk4 Golf] AC clutch dragging when AC is off - Audio, Electrics and Lighting - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

AC clutch dragging when AC is off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 14 August 2020 - 10:26 AM

Couple of days ago, my AC was on and the car was at a standstill. Didn't realise my big fan had gone out and my AC clutch started dragging - I can only assume since the pressure got too high and the pressure switch didn't cut the AC.

Since this happened, the AC clutch drags when the AC is off. It can vary from a scuffing sound to the sound of a bottom end knock. The sound does goes away when the AC is switched on, so I'm sure it is only the AC making the noise and not my actual bottom end. When trying to turn the centre of the clutch by hand, you can feel it is making contact with the pulley when the AC is off.

AC works absolutely fine other than this issue of the clutch dragging while it's off.

Has anyone had this before?

Does it sound like the compressor internals/compressor shaft are shot or could I get away with just replacing the clutch and pulley on the front of the compressor?

Side note, when trying to select HVAC in VCDS I get no response from the controller. I read on another site you can only access the HVAC module through VCDS if you've got climatronic, can anyone confirm this at all?

TIA again, sorry for all the posts lately.

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9829 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:07 PM

look here part number 3 should sort it out... sounds like the clutch is sticky ( think it has another name though magnetic coupler) but it should be part number 3 saves you from removing/replacing the whole thing and loosing all the gas  

#3 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 21 August 2020 - 06:36 PM

Pulled it apart and the bearing in the pulley was shot. Fitted a replacement magnet, pulley and clutch and it's all good now.
  • yurtesen likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.