yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:31 AM

It appears my rear axle is badly rusted and crumbling. The part number is 1J0500051K which is about 1200euro if you want to get a genuine VW part :+ replacement work was quoted 300euro.

I found a repair set fro MAPCO https://www.mapco.co...carparts/42265/ which seems to go for about 280euro on eBay. Only the MAPCO axle goes for about 180euro....

I found some items on eBay which were genuine VW items refurbished and look pretty good. That is sandblasted/powder coated for about 120 to 220euro(5 year warranty at this price level) with new bushes fitted.

The other 3rd party brand axles vary from 150 to 250euro. Brands varying from ATP, ECD, JP, MAPCO

All prices including shipping and new bushes pressed. I wanted to get some opinions on if it would be better to use a refurbished item in place of new from a 3rd party manufacturer? Just wondering because very often I had problems with 3rd party parts. They are just few mm shorter or longer, or different shape, or missing attachment points or protective covers, or built from thinner less reliable material etc. all sorts of problems. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by yurtesen, 22 August 2020 - 11:33 AM.

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9841 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 22 August 2020 - 11:37 AM

I had that problem and i went and got a used axle in very good condition from an audi a3..(cost me 50 pounds) I didn't replace the bushes as they were fine but a year later i had to replace those... so if you can get a refurbished and powdercoated one with new bushes that would be my choice....  

#3 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 22 August 2020 - 08:48 PM

Thanks @northpole What if it is refurbished but painted instead of powder coated? I am not sure if the original axle is powder coated even. It looks like it was painted as it is quite thin layer of paint on it. The problem is that I am not able to find powder coated axle shipped to Finland. One seller on eBay says theirs is powder coated but the pictures they have in the item says otherwise... I may have to settle for anti-corrosive paint....

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9841 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

you can use Hammerite stone chip shield  i used that to make sure the axle stayed in good condition,  I bought 2 cans of it, hung the axle up and sprayed a really thick layer of the stuff on... let it dry for 24 hours than it was fit and forget ( that was until i noticed the rear bushes needed changing)..  but when the car went to the scrappy it was still looking okay once i wiped of the mud that was stuck to it.. 

#5 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10757 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:31 PM

Can you not just get a second hand one?

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#6 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 23 August 2020 - 05:59 PM

I now got a 2nd hand refurbished (sandblasted+painted+new bushes) one for 99euro + 20euro shipping. That was the best deal I could find.

About hammerite, we do not have it readily in shops here. But there is Maston Spraypaint Hammer . Perhaps I could paint it over again before instalation. I guess they should have put something similar when refurbishing anyway, but a 2nd coat perhaps does not hurt.

#7 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:01 AM

Done mine on the A3 earlier this year..

I had a spare rear axle on the drive.. replaced bushes and painted it all up in the house (wife loved that)

eBay do then for 100 quid for a refurbished units which seem decent but are without wheel bearings I believe f8e3e84ac2d3e6ce6c80179790169349.jpg18ac299252fb5206b1747ff73b89c58f.jpg0c32c763e6eca919b2f0a1ec3ef9bf6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2001 Toyota Celica VVTLI **Insta @Craigyinni **

#8 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:55 AM

Nice pictures :) The refurbished units does not come with wheel bearings but I have nothing against using the old bearings. They seem to work perfectly fine. 100euro is not much considering brand new part is 1200euro :)

• superchickenn likes this

#9 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9841 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:07 AM

Nice pictures :) The refurbished units does not come with wheel bearings but I have nothing against using the old bearings. They seem to work perfectly fine. 100euro is not much considering brand new part is 1200euro :)

if they aren't polybushes but oem bushes.... well by the time you get them out they are probably not fit for use anymore... so if it was me this is the time to chuck on some nice polybushes... get the softer ones as you use it as a daily but it'll be fit and forget also most of them you an just push in by hand vs the oem that needs to be pushed in under quite some pressure. 

#10 superchickenn

superchickenn

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts
  • wales uk
  • MKI Models

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:26 AM

I burnt the old ones out of mine and just used some thread bar and some big sockets to wind the new ones in... my biggest advice is get the rear of the car HIGH in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Fleet - 2003 GT TDI PD130 - 2003 GTI TDI PD150 - 2003 1.8T GTI AUQ - 2005 1.8T Leon Cupra AUQ - 2003 A4 Quattro PD130 - 2001 Audi A3 1.8t AUM  - 2001 Toyota Celica VVTLI **Insta @Craigyinni **

#11 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 25 August 2020 - 11:42 AM

Hmm the original bushes lasted for 18 years... The listing said the replacement had brand new Hutchinson HU590109 installed but that does not tell much to me... they look like some black rubber with hole in middle :) hopefully they last a little while...

superchickenn, I am not going to change the axle. I would rather give it to some VW dealer so they deal with 18 year old bearings stuck on the stub axle etc. as a plus, if they break anything they fix it for free :)

The VW manual said the car should be tied so it wont slide off and fall :) I would rather pay so they take all the risk...

Edited by yurtesen, 25 August 2020 - 11:45 AM.

#12 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9841 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 26 August 2020 - 09:25 AM

Hmm the original bushes lasted for 18 years... The listing said the replacement had brand new Hutchinson HU590109 installed but that does not tell much to me... they look like some black rubber with hole in middle :) hopefully they last a little while...

superchickenn, I am not going to change the axle. I would rather give it to some VW dealer so they deal with 18 year old bearings stuck on the stub axle etc. as a plus, if they break anything they fix it for free :)

The VW manual said the car should be tied so it wont slide off and fall :) I would rather pay so they take all the risk...

and even than they'll tell you you'll need new bushes... because they aren't supposed to be transferred they are one time fit only, where as polybushes usually can be taken out without damage and be re-used again.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.