#1 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:50 AM

Does anyone have a picture of the drains in the scuttle? I couldn't find one on Google.

I think my driver's side one is blocked but a picture beforehand of what I'm looking for would be useful. Either from the top or bottom would be much appreciated.

Also, is it possible to unblock it from underneath, the side that drains behind the wing? The guy that did my windscreen decided to glue the plastic scuttle to the windscreen and I'm too scared of either breaking the screen or plastic trying to remove it.

TIA

#2 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:11 PM

Nevermind, turns out both drains are clear and there was just a puddle collecting near the pollen filter where the metal dips down slightly and where the car is angled downward on the driver's side.

Cleared up the small amount of crud that was collected on the passenger side that I could get to through the pollen filter housing cover.

#3 yurtesen

yurtesen

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1147 posts
  • Finland

Posted 29 August 2020 - 09:24 AM

Do you mean this area? That is my driver's side but the car is LHD...

https://uk-mkivs.net...d/#entry4267712

As you know, my water puddle was even leaking to inside of the car. :) Luckily it is dry since I changed the grommet and cut some of the sealant which blocked the

Edited by yurtesen, 29 August 2020 - 09:24 AM.

• ttg4l likes this

#4 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 10:02 AM

Yes that's the part I meant, thank you.

Mine wasn't leaking into the car, but it was that I jacked up the driver's side and water started coming out of the passenger side drain behind the arch liner. I wanted to catch the blockage before it got so bad that it leaked into the car, but I think mine is just from where the car is parked at an angle. The water will either sit on the pollen filter cover or in the dipped part of the metal until the car becomes level or the driver's side is raised.

#5 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9841 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:49 AM

the blockages come from leaves and sand that block the drains at the top in the scuttle drain holes... there is one on each side of the scuttle, one really close to the drivers side almost at the end of the scuttle tray, and one on the left side of the pollen filter... i used to poke them through with a wire coat hanger and was always amazed at the amount of potential blockage stuff that would come out... I also removed the rubber end bit on those side pipes when clearing the pipes.. as they can hold the crud, just as the ones on top do... but my scuttle plastics weren't glued to the window.. so i could remove them and give the scuttle panel a good clean out.  

• ttg4l likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.