• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pixelsandpasties

pixelsandpasties

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:59 PM

Hi everyone. My name is Rich from South Wales. I've got a Golf MK4 Sport Estate with a PD130, a MK4 Estate PD115 and my wife has a CR140 Passat estate remapped to 170. We also have a Transporter T25 with a 1.9DG Petrol camper.

Sadly my PD130 will be a massive MOT failure this year, needing sills welding, inner and outer, new rear axle, entire new rear brake hose system and calipers. I've opted to replace with a PD115 that I got from a friend for £550 with 12 mot.

The 115 drives nothing like the 130. I'm really gutted to have to swap to the 115.

I signed up today as over the next few months I'll be breaking and swapping as many components I can from the 130 to the 115, including the interior. I'll also need to ask a few questions about the engines and the benefits, if any, of the 115 over the 130.

The positives of the 115 are that it's had a top engine rebuild, new timing, new radiator, new tyres and underneath is in really good condition.

The negatives are that it's been abused. It's gross inside, tatty outside. It also has a super rough start (immobiliser fault?) and an airbag fault.

Pros of leaving the 130. Timing needed doing soon, leaking intercooler, lumpy idle, turbo whistle started, rust on inner and outer sills.

It did have climate control and 6 cd changer. Can I swap these too?

Hopefully get to know you all a bit during this transplant journey from 130 to 115

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:59 AM

you can swap the lot... it all depends on  things... have you got VCDS? and do you have anough space and time to do a proper conversion... 

basically you can swap the pd130 to the 115 if you desire to do so.. ( it's actually the fastest route) but since it needs the timing + waterpump done you might want to swap over the injectors, all the intake and exhaust (including the turbo, but it is part of the exhaust manifold anyway) parts from the PD130 to the PD115 including MAF and MAP sensors ecu/locks/ignition and clocks... all in all that would be sufficient to turn it into a pd130...  

But me knowing how annoying the injector swap is , especially if it's your first time... i would just do an engine swap and put a fresh timing belt and waterpump on the PD130... it would involve most of the previous mentioned bits anyway but with the difference you can lower the lot on a pallet with wheels, than move it into position and just bolt the lot back up... 

timing belt and waterpump done when it's on the pallet ofcourse so you can freely move around the engine... but as said all depends on the amount of time you got... 

the climatronic swap is a bit more involved than you'd think but it can be done ( removing of the complete dashboard is required to remove all the parts) and the 6 cd changer is an unbolt and rebolt swap..

so nothing to hard that can't be done by yourself but it all takes time...  and that is for you to judge... Like i said i would do an engine swap and the climatronic to me is overrated but if you are used to it and got the time to take the dash out completely (you'll have to do that twice, plus one gas-refill) you might aswell just do a complete engine swap... and take the lot from the pd130 and put it in the pd115.  it is what i would do.  

#3 pixelsandpasties

pixelsandpasties

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:42 AM

you can swap the lot... it all depends on  things... have you got VCDS? and do you have anough space and time to do a proper conversion... 

basically you can swap the pd130 to the 115 if you desire to do so.. ( it's actually the fastest route) but since it needs the timing + waterpump done you might want to swap over the injectors, all the intake and exhaust (including the turbo, but it is part of the exhaust manifold anyway) parts from the PD130 to the PD115 including MAF and MAP sensors ecu/locks/ignition and clocks... all in all that would be sufficient to turn it into a pd130...  

But me knowing how annoying the injector swap is , especially if it's your first time... i would just do an engine swap and put a fresh timing belt and waterpump on the PD130... it would involve most of the previous mentioned bits anyway but with the difference you can lower the lot on a pallet with wheels, than move it into position and just bolt the lot back up... 

timing belt and waterpump done when it's on the pallet ofcourse so you can freely move around the engine... but as said all depends on the amount of time you got... 

the climatronic swap is a bit more involved than you'd think but it can be done ( removing of the complete dashboard is required to remove all the parts) and the 6 cd changer is an unbolt and rebolt swap..

so nothing to hard that can't be done by yourself but it all takes time...  and that is for you to judge... Like i said i would do an engine swap and the climatronic to me is overrated but if you are used to it and got the time to take the dash out completely (you'll have to do that twice, plus one gas-refill) you might aswell just do a complete engine swap... and take the lot from the pd130 and put it in the pd115.  it is what i would do.  

Thanks for the reply!

I think I have come to terms with the fact that the swap is way too much hassle and inconvenience for me. I don't currently have the space, nor the time, and probably not the skills yet to do the swap myself. I got this PD115 for £550 with 12 months MOT. 

I will potentially look at getting another PD130, with fewer miles and just enjoy that. 

I have started transferring the Recaro seats, the door cards next, then the leather steering wheel, CD player and anything else that's better on my old Golf Sport.

Thanks though Northpole, I appreciate your advice! 

• northpole likes this

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.