[Mk4 Golf] No interior lights except the rear seat courtesy ones - Audio, Electrics and Lighting - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

No interior lights except the rear seat courtesy ones

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Neutron

Neutron

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Golf IV V6 4motion 2.8 24v BDE 204PS

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:31 PM

Golf Mk4 4motion 3 door

I've had a problem with my interior lights for ages and tried all the usual door mech fixes, ccm replacement, checking fuse 14 (and every other fuse on the board).

Both doors register being opened on the dash and the back seat courtesy lights come on/off with either of the doors opening/closing, no problems with central locking or power windows.

Pulling fuse 14 with the door open I can hear/feel the big relay clicking and the rear lights go out (obvs)

All bulbs have resistance but as I understand it they should be able to blow and the circuit should still function for the rest

Manually switching the front map lights and dome light has no effect, no glovebox or vanity lights, plus boot light 

I have continuity in the switched live cables that run through the doors but no 12V at the socket behind either kick panel

I think I'm looking for a corroded junction of the switched live (red/blue) somewhere, is there a common location for corrosion? I was hoping to find something like these corroded joins https://forums.tdicl...26/post-4366502 but don't seem to have the same loom (tried both sides and they only have a single red/blue running to the puddle light feeds) - and looks the same as this post https://forums.tdicl...26/post-5318620

At this stage I'd be happy to take the dash out if I knew exactly where I was trying to get to, but would rather not just start un-peeling the Teva tape in the hope I might strike lucky.

Any tips welcome on where I could focus my efforts please as I've run out of ideas

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9841 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:07 AM

you'll want to check the door wires in the rubber grommet it is where they normally break overtime... you'll notice it soon enough. 

#3 Neutron

Neutron

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • West Sussex

Posted 31 August 2020 - 09:48 AM

Cheers, I've had both windows regulators out (Saturday) now for access to the door looms as I had got to the point where I was thinking it would be that - no sign of frayed wires and I get continuity from the socket under the kick panel to the puddle lights on both the red/blue and brown the diagram suggests that they should all be on the same loop.

https://uk-mkivs.net...g/#entry2734061

Was poking around all day yesterday and noticed the Haynes suggests that the red/blue should also go to the rear reading lights, but it doesn't seem to do that as nothing matches that colour - so I think that might be a bit of a red herring.

But... puddle lights to vanity lights to dome all have a good circuit between them

I'm under the dash now and I don't get continuity from pin 20 (red/blue) from the CCM to any of the light sockets. So I'm getting warmer ( I think !) - I just can't get access to any of the loom after it leaves the CCM and I'm not sure that I want to take the dash out just yet.

Just to confirm my sanity, is that red/blue a solid connection from the CCM to the light sockets and would you expect there to be continuity - I'm thinking I might try a jumper from the CCM pin 20 to the socket under the kick panel and see what happens - just don't want to fry anything!

#4 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9841 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:03 AM

in the topic you linked there is a diagram for the interior lights i suggest you look at that properly... not sure about the continues feed to the dome light so can't say for sure but if i'm correct there is a separate fuse for it... you might want to look if that isn't blown... it wouldn't surprise me...  

#5 Neutron

Neutron

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts
  • West Sussex

Posted 31 August 2020 - 10:27 AM

I've been scratching my head at the diagram all morning and pretty sure it's a logical rather than physical representation otherwise there'd be no explanation for the rear reading lights working but not the dome light.

I've jumped from pin 20 (red/blue) on the CCM to the nearest red/blue under the bonnet release kick panel for the door loom connector - and hey presto, all the lights function as expected!!

Not really the solution I was looking for, but I think I'll make the jumper a little more permanent and at least have interior lights for the winter - I've spent so many years saying to myself that I'll "fix it in the summer" but just end up driving the S2000 instead :)

I knew it would be a bit of a long shot, so just want to say thanks for taking the the time to reply and maybe this thread will help someone else out if they come across it.

• northpole likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.