[Mk4 Golf] Vw Mfd Sat Nav Installation / 6 CD Player In The Glove Box - D.I.Y Guides and How to Instructions - uk-mkivs

Photo
Mk4 Golf

Vw Mfd Sat Nav Installation / 6 CD Player In The Glove Box

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

I first posted this guide in August 2006, the UK-MKIVs forum software was upgraded in December 2013 and it broke some of the picture links in this thread, so I edited it on 07/12/13.

2nd edit: As of June 2017 Photobucket made a change to their terms and conditions and have now prevented uploaded photos on their site from being linked into from forums, so I've now uploaded these photos to an album on the UK-MKIVs site itself, so hopefully the photos won't get shafted again. I know that these days plenty of people now fit after market head units and won't use an MFD so this is here just for the people who specifically want to use an MFD to keep their car looking clean and factory OEM style.

Originally my 2003 MK4 Golf GTi came from the factory with a VW Gamma Head Unit and the VW dash mounted 6 CD player. I was about to fit the VW OEM Sat Nav unit and realised I would lose the 6 CD player and didn't want to be forced to swap to a boot mounted CD player, so decided to custom fit it into the glove box.

So (after losing some skin off my knuckles) I've installed the VW OEM MFD head unit and I've also moved the 6 CD player in to the glovebox. I took lots of pictures and whilst this wasn't mean't to be a step by step guide to the installation it sort of turned in to one.

The parts I used in this installation were (NB this could all be out of date as web links die and prices change, this was written in 2006) -
Extension Cable for in CD dash changer: (this is to extend the CD changer cable to allow it to be long enough to have the CD changer in the glovebox http://www.bluespot....k/idc_cable.asp PRICE: £17.99
Single DIN Mounting Kit: http://www.bluespot....ock/din_box.asp (this is the original link from 2006, but sadly they changed the product, it's not as compact as the din box that I used, so I don't recommend this one, you might be able to find the original elsewhere?) PRICE: £17.99
VM OEM 6 CD player (I already had one in my car) Ebay or off this forum in the classifieds PRICE: £30 - £60 approx?
VW OEM MFD Sat Nav: Ebay or off this forum in the classifieds PRICE: £100-£200 approx?
VW/Audi Sat Nav plug and play cable kit: Ebay - this link might die, but this is the type that is needed, it includes the loom for the MFD, a GPS aerial and keys to remove the standard radio (or MFD itself): http://www.ebay.co.u...uAAAMXQVT9S83Bw PRICE: £37.98

2015 Edit: The plug and play cable above has now disapeared off Ebay, but here is Kufatec's version of that lead: €16.49: http://www.kufatec.d...-mfd-rns-d-navi

A little note about the plug and play lead, some people have ignored this and tried to plug the unit directly into the Golf / Bora's standard radio connections, whilst the unit will power up, navigation won't work at all, the car will struggle get a fix on your current location or be able to track your movement. The plug and play lead feeds extra signals required to the MFD's 26 pin connector such as GALA (speed) and Can Bus signals. If you don't get a plug and play lead and just plug the MFD into the standard connections you'll end up with a pretty looking radio receiver but have no navigation.

Other misc parts: zip ties, self adhesive cable tie base, suitable wire to extend the illumination wire for the 6CD.
Tools -stanley knife(good strong one)/spare blades (to cut the back of the glove box), screw driver (to screw the DIN cage in to the glove box), cutters (to clip zip ties/cut cables), removal keys (to pull out the Gamma/6 CD), Torx driver set (to undo the screws to pull release the glove box so the GPS Antenna can be mounted behind it), soldering iron/solder/heat shrink (to solder the some wires that needed to be extended).

So here's my guide to doing this installation/conversion. Don't fall asleep :)

The parts I was fitting in this installation:
gallery_3085_35994_151743.jpg

The installation:
1) My original set up, as it came from the factory
gallery_3085_35994_793.jpg

2) The glove box - note you can see the marks near the lamp, these are already made from the factory and are stress points which are helpful for cutting a hole at the back.
gallery_3085_35994_103161.jpg

3) I offered up the single DIN tray to the glove box to see where the hole needs to be cut. The hole needs to be cut as the DIN tray/CD player need to be mounted right at the back of the glove box to allow the lid to close (and to give a little more space in there too.)
gallery_3085_35994_97224.jpg

4) After a battle I had the hole cut at the back of the din tray, which allowed it to push back and be flush with the log book holder. (this took time and perseverance)
gallery_3085_35994_63570.jpg

5) The Sat Nav loom has an "eliminator" switch on it which basically allows a video input to be watched on the Nav whilst driving (normally this is disabled for safety). I attached this to the side of the DIN tray using a adhesive base that allows a zip tie to pass through it. Didn't have any black paint so painted the self adhesive cable tie fixings with what I had in a garage, a gun metal grey paint. You couldn't really see it in the dark glove box anyway.
gallery_3085_35994_65980.jpg

6) DIN tray slid in to place with the eliminator button attached
gallery_3085_35994_126164.jpg

7) Goodbye to the Gamma head unit and the 6 CD player starts its journey to its new home in the glove box
gallery_3085_35994_13357.jpg

8) The rear of 6 CD player. This has a 'hardwired' connector (as shown below on the left) and a snap in connector on the right. The hardwired connector is a multi pin unit and this normally links in to the Gamma unit. When the 6 CD player is moved to the glove box the cable won't reach to the rear of the MFD Sat Nav, so the extender cable has to be used. The snap-in connector on the right (I believe) is for the illumination also is quite short and will never reach in to the glove box. I had to cut this off and extend it using a piece of similar thickness wire, solder it and then insulate it using heat shrink tubing.
gallery_3085_35994_17497.jpg

8a) Here is the snap in connector for illumination on the 6 CD player cut off and ready for soldering on to the extender cable
gallery_3085_35994_106803.jpg

9) I decided it would be a good time to actually test the MFD unit. If it was faulty it would be a waste of time to continue. I plugged all the loom in to the rear of the MFD and placed the GPS aerial on the dashboard to get a signal. It picked up 7 satellites and the radio was fine too.
gallery_3085_35994_113215.jpg

10) Now I needed to get the GPS aerial INSIDE the dashboard. The most favoured position is on the left of the dashboard, basically quite close to the tax disc. Around this area is a thick metal bar (for body strength?), I fixed the GPS aerial there. To get my hand in I had to undo all the glove box screws and let it hang down plus I had to take the side panel off. This also helped me to feed the GPS connector along the dashboard to the back of the MFD.
gallery_3085_35994_17861.jpg

10a) Side panel removed feeding the GPS Antenna in
gallery_3085_35994_48693.jpg

10b) I zip-tied the excess GPS cable and mounted it securely on a metal fin. At upper left of the photo below you can see the thick metal bar, this is where the GPS antenna is mounted to.
gallery_3085_35994_53242.jpg

11) I pulled the extended DIN cable through and the extended snap in power connector through ready for fitting the din tray. Also at this point I pulled through the eliminator cable through from the Sat Nav loom (not seen on the photograph though) to connect to the back of the blue switch
gallery_3085_35994_83840.jpg

12) This photo shows the CD player nearly fully mounted (not fully pushed back in to the DIN tray in case of any problem) and all Sat Nav loom/cabling all pulled through ready for connection. At this point I again tested the Sat Nav before committing myself to pushing it in to its final position.NB the cabling is clearly quite chunky and caution has to be used to make sure it doesn't foul when pushing the MFD in to its final position. A lot of the excess cable can be pushed in to the large-ish space behind the climate control panel.
gallery_3085_35994_86943.jpg

13) Sat Nav unit now mounted and playing CD's from the CD player in the glove box :) Result!
gallery_3085_35994_69155.jpg

14) CD player mounted in the glove box and working
gallery_3085_35994_46245.jpg

14a) Unit in operation at night time.
gallery_3085_35994_2487.jpg

14b) CD player view - notice that it displays the play time in minutes/seconds on a CD - something the Gamma didn't do!
gallery_3085_35994_23797.jpg

14c) As part of the install I made sure my Nokia car kit worked with the MFD (muting the CD player/radio when in use), on this pic the phone is active, along with navigation and CD (muted!).
gallery_3085_35994_54794.jpg

gallery_3085_35978_6531.jpg
MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread  ++ Full licensed VCDS (VAG COM), key coding, cluster coding, diagnostics etc.++

#2 tdi29

tdi29

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:34 PM

thats superb mate,great how to!very useful,deserve a gold star[:D]

#3 veedubdude

veedubdude

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:39 PM

Wicked how-to! Im sure this will come in very useful to alot of people! Top job [Y]

#4 BenC

BenC

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:01 AM

Glad to be help Steve, very good "how to" you have made there [;)]

Happy with it all? Looks spot on mate, well done....[Y]

B.

#5 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:57 AM

Cheers all!

Ben, yeah I'm happy with it, just need to sort get hold of a newer Nav CD, I still haven't resolved the issue with not been able to enter any postcodes or house numbers, seems that my 2001 CD is either a bad copy with information missing or it simply doesn't have that information on it due to being older.

Are you thinking of any more interior/ICE mods yourself? You should get the Bora vents in, they really help finish the interior off and are definately not just a style improvement, the dual controls on the centre vent is extra funcionality too..

MK4 Golf R32 - Rescue Build Thread  ++ Full licensed VCDS (VAG COM), key coding, cluster coding, diagnostics etc.++

#6 jrw

jrw

MK7 Golf R

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1011 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

Dont forget that I started this trend with mine except that I didn't cut the glovebox and made my own custom enclosure!!

https://uk-mkivs.net/...624.aspx#564625

#7 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:37 PM

JRW I do remember seeing your installation now and I can see why you did it but I prefer the way BenC and I did it. I'm not worried about the hole in the rear of the glove box, it woudn't be impossible to replace the glove box space with one from a scrappy if I really wanted to. I plan to keep this car for quite a while and with this in mind I decided to make the car how I wanted it so I can enjoy it and not worry about the hole.

The skin is now growing back on my knuckles and hands from pulling cables through in awkward spaces and all the other work with doing the conversion, well worth it though   [ :D]

#8 jrw

jrw

MK7 Golf R

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1011 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

Not at all, that way is a lot more professional and would prefer it myself.  I was just making people aware that it can be done without cutting the box (and that I was the 1st to do it!!!)

#9 BenC

BenC

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:54 AM

JRW, whats all the fuss about? You was the first to do it your way (mounting 6disc player in bottom of glovebox), and myself and steve were the first to mount it at the top of the glovebox, which in my opinion looks more OEM, so enough of the i did it first, your acting like we are stating that we have done it first, when all we have done is provide a "step by step how to".

Ben.

Not at all, that way is a lot more professional and would prefer it myself.  I was just making people aware that it can be done without cutting the box (and that I was the 1st to do it!!!)

#10 adrianwood

adrianwood

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:25 AM

This is a great 'How to' guide and I am getting very tempted to try it out as well.  One quick question, What different versions are there of the VW MFD navigation system and which is the best I a notice you mention the version G above?

Thanks

#11 jrw

jrw

MK7 Golf R

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1011 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:51 AM

JRW, whats all the fuss about? You was the first to do it your way (mounting 6disc player in bottom of glovebox), and myself and steve were the first to mount it at the top of the glovebox, which in my opinion looks more OEM, so enough of the i did it first, your acting like we are stating that we have done it first, when all we have done is provide a "step by step how to".

Ben.

chill yourself. i washaving a joke not a slanging match. what is wrong with people lately.

'D' and 'G' are same except 'G' does postcodes. even though my 'D' does postcodes!?

#12 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

This is a great 'How to' guide and I am getting very tempted to try it out as well.  One quick question, What different versions are there of the VW MFD navigation system and which is the best I a notice you mention the version G above?

Adrian,  I'm also a little confused about the difference on D and G.. I know both D and G can do postcodes. I heard G was supposed to be superior, I think its possibly the way the address is entered, it has a sort of predictive text system that build up names from the alphabet as you enter them, possibly the D does not have this? On any MFD I've found the newer the "Tele Atlas" CD used, (the map CD that loads in the front) the better the results, my 2001 was pants, no postcodes/streetnumbers but the 2003 I have is much better. I'm still going to try to get a newer version.

One more thing, there is a MFD "DX" version, I saw one on ebay, with a photo of the product sticker on it, so its real, I've no idea if that has any special features or if its just a late version of the MFD D. Basically on Ebay MFD G are always the most expensive, so its a safe bet to try to get a G I think.

Good luck!

#13 scarum

scarum

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:54 AM

Nice install!  [Y]  What is the navigation software like, acurate and easy to use?  If I drove all over the place, to new places and such I would do this install.

BTW, would this set-up work with steering wheels controls?  I can't see why not.

#14 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:32 AM

Nice install!  [Y]  What is the navigation software like, acurate and easy to use?  If I drove all over the place, to new places and such I would do this install.

BTW, would this set-up work with steering wheels controls?  I can't see why not.

The Navi is easy to use, its been good up to now. I think its probably not as advanced as a Tomtom (which have the advantage of being much newer), but it does exactly what I need it to do and I dont have an extra bracket or wires (as I would for a tomtom).

Not sure about the steering wheel, I do seem to recall that a guy I met in 2003 with a fully loaded V5 170 (leather, cruise, satnav, dipping mirror, winter pack, parking sensors - THE LOT!) said that VW couldn't fit the multifunction wheel with his set up when he ordered it new.. 

#15 richking

richking

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:21 AM

has anyone fitted a phatnoise to a satnav? if so did the song titles come up on the display?

#16 jrw

jrw

MK7 Golf R

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1011 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

MFD vers D works with the steering wheel controls (I have them on my Bora).  Apparently the G version needs the cables rooted through a TMC (Traffic announcments) box.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:50 AM

HI

Hope you can help me

Ive just fitted a VW MFD version D in to my passat 1.8t all work well except when i plan a destination it plans the route but will not guide me if i press the enter button to bring up the navigation symbols / arrows it tells me im off road. if i go back to the map it shows my current location some where different to where i actually am, have you come accross this at all and if so how do i rectify this.

PS great write up 

#18 veedubs

veedubs

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:11 AM

As soon as an MFD pops up for a good price and will be doing this as well.  Already have the 6CD changer.

Good write up. [Y] 

#19 veedubs

veedubs

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

MFD and CD extension lead arrived this week so I will be fitting this tomorrow with the help of the above `How To'.

[Y] 

#20 efunc

efunc

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2754 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

where did you get the CD extension lead? thanks.

#21 veedubs

veedubs

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:00 PM

I bought it from Bluespot, as detailed in the first post.  Here`s the link. 

Extension Cable for in dash changer:
http://www.bluespot....k/idc_cable.asp PRICE: 17.99

It`s all fitted and working but I cannot get the MFD to lock into place [:@]

#22 efunc

efunc

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2754 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

ahh, that's for the changer. i'm looking for one for my single cd player, but i'll have to make one myself because you can't buy them. I've got a spare changer extension if anyone wants one.

locking ther mfd into place can be tricky. mine sticks out at the bottom because i've got aux-in cables and stuff in the back.

#23 BenC

BenC

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:48 AM

Guys,

Theres plenty of room down behind your climate control panel that you can push some of your excess cables into, giving your more room behind your MFD and allowing it to slide right back into place and lock securly.

B.

#24 Franko180

Franko180

99 Ronnie

• Car of the Year
  • 2792 posts
  • Haldex City
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

To help with the cables, I've since learned that its quite easy to remove the climate control panel. This allows you to get your hand completey under the sat nav and carefully pull any excess length of cable from behind the nav to the space underneath.

I've no pics of this but heres a guide (from memory!)

1) Look under the climate control panel and pull off the cover thats covers the VW diagnostic connector (the one that people connect for Vagcom etc)

2) Gently try to remove the 'wood' trim that surrounds the climate control panel. This unclips, so with patience and maybe a flat blade screw driver it can be prised off. I think removing the cover mentioned in step 1 allows more easy access for a small screw driver to be used to prise the climate trim off.

3) There are four screws keeping the climate control panel in place, these have TX20 torx heads (as the car seems to have everywhere!)

4) The climate panel will pull forwards, remove all the connectors and don't worry about 'mixing them up', they can only go back in 1 socket each, they can't be mixed up, unless you wack them back in with a sledge hammer :)

5) you can now get your whole hand in under the sat nav and when pushing the nav back towards its final position you can feed your hand underneath and try to gently pull any excess cable through, its very easy to trap/wedge a wire at the back of the nav, this obstruction causes it to not want to slide all the way back in.

Hope that helps! I also hope its about the same procedure for normal heating controls, but I can't be sure...

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:01 PM

one question though the single din plastic did you have to screw that into the glove or how did you secure it im sure it does not say please let me know

#26 BenC

BenC

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:46 AM

Yes you need to screw it into place into the above document holder. You will need to use a short stubby screw driver and some small screws, 2 will hold it in place securly as its plastic.

B. 

one question though the single din plastic did you have to screw that into the glove or how did you secure it im sure it does not say please let me know

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

also no chance of getting any of them parts cheaper and from anywhere else and still dont really know how you managed to screw it into the top because it is a sort of din cover and you can only screw into the bottom of the din plastic but it is top touhing the underneath of the documents holder if you know what i mean please let me know or if so show us a picture as am to do this mod

Just grazing

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

also no chance of getting any of them parts cheaper and from anywhere else and still dont really know how you managed to screw it into the top because it is a sort of din cover and you can only screw into the bottom of the din plastic but it is top touhing the underneath of the documents holder if you know what i mean please let me know or if so show us a picture as am to do this mod

#29 efunc

efunc

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2754 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:12 PM

Don't bother with the Single DIN holder. I just leave my CD player loose in my glove box. it's hardly a problem and works perfectly well. With the glove box lid shut the CD player is held pretty securely.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Firstly this is a excellent walk through, Will this allow you to watch DVD's??

James 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk4 Golf

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.