• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 watercool

watercool

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:11 PM

The stuff in my boot keeps getting wet, it seems to be the stuff on the left hand side (that's the only way i knew it was leaking) 

I googled it and someone said about the rear lights leaking etc So I looked at the Golf from behind and noticed the boot panel doesn't line up quite right. Theres a bigger gap on the right than the left. Doesn't look that bad on the pic but it's quite noticeable once you spot it. It's just about double the gap size  :unsure:

Would this cause water to get in? Can it be realigned or is this a newer-VW thing?

20200904-125744-COLLAGE.jpg

#2 grit

grit

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • herts
  • Golf VI SE TSI 1.4 122PS

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:46 PM

lay paper all over the boot floor and then shut it and put a hose running from along the top going all over including the window .don't think that gap would make much difference water runs in a channel around the tailgate . ps is there water in the spare well

Grit 122 tsi

#3 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:21 PM

My MK4 has a bigger gap on one side too, never leaks though.

#4 watercool

watercool

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 02:21 PM

Yeah the spare wheel well has some water in, not much though. I'll do the paper thing this afternoon and see what happens. 

#5 watercool

watercool

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 03:03 PM

I used the hose and watering can on the back end of the car but no wet patches appeared. Check this morning and the only wet bit is in the corner under the light.

IMG-20200906-154735.png

Tried recreating the leak again but can't see it happening. What should I do?

#6 ttg4l

ttg4l

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:34 PM

Could be the vent behind the bumper, the vent you see in the picture.

Put a bead of silicone around it to seal it up and see if that helps.

#7 watercool

watercool

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:46 PM

Ok, I've siliconed what I can. I've also just discovered the back left hand seat is wet aswell ... 

What is this hole? I shoved some paper in there last night and this morning it was wet, could this be where the water is coming from? You can see the floor through the further little hole. 

Screenshot-2020-09-10-at-13-36-53.png

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.