#1 Bhavick

Bhavick

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Golf IV TDI 1.9 ATD 100PS

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:37 AM

I was taking my old wishbone off yesterday to replace it and where the wishbone connects up to the wheel there is a clamp in between the three 13mm bolts that hold the wishbone on to the wheel, literally as i started removing the bolts the clamp on mine has completely snapped and i was just wondering is it necessary to replace this clamp or can you just put it back together with the three bolts? I also brought some new 13mm bolts from my local DIY store as my old ones look knackered, there exactly the same size but i just wondered if they would be same material strength as the OEM bolts as i don't want to risk them snapping or something when am driving. Am probably being overly cautious but i just want to be safe before i start driving the car again.

Thanks

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:01 AM

It not a clamp it is the nuts that hold the 3 bolts for the bolts for the balljoint centred... i suggest you get a new one... ecp gsf all have them and if youvask you might be lucky and they'll sell you a new one... alternatively go to a scrappy and take it off one of the wishbones they got laying about.

#3 Bhavick

Bhavick

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

It not a clamp it is the nuts that hold the 3 bolts for the bolts for the balljoint centred... i suggest you get a new one... ecp gsf all have them and if youvask you might be lucky and they'll sell you a new one... alternatively go to a scrappy and take it off one of the wishbones they got laying about.

Sorry not to sound like a nob but if it's not a clamp what is the correct name for it? On the bmac vags video below at the 3:30 mark he says it's a clamp?

Edited by Bhavick, 11 September 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#4 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:09 AM

He calls it a triangle clamp but it isn't it is a centring nut holder( and actually what the 13 mm bolts bolt into)... if you buy a new balljoint it comes with it... but you might be able to get just that part.... at the places I stated before.. that is if you are a regular... if not go to a scrappy and take it off a used wishbone... they won't charge you much for it either.

Online you can't buy it without the balljoint... unless you want to replace it.

#5 Bhavick

Bhavick

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:25 AM

He calls it a triangle clamp but it isn't it is a centring nut holder( and actually what the 13 mm bolts bolt into)... if you buy a new balljoint it comes with it... but you might be able to get just that part.... at the places I stated before.. that is if you are a regular... if not go to a scrappy and take it off a used wishbone... they won't charge you much for it either.

Online you can't buy it without the balljoint... unless you want to replace it.

thanks again northpole found a couple of guys on facebooks marketplace selling them so am just gonna get one off there. I might replace the three 13mm bolts as mine look knackered.

#6 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9357 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 11 September 2020 - 11:26 AM

ETKA called it a "lockplate" last time I looked. Careful tightening required with non-oem, they are like butter.

Use a torque wrench otherwise those welded nuts will release.

Remember you will need a re-alignment. I always pull the hub assembly ALL the way out in the wishbone slots and tighten in that position.

Then get it aligned. If you ever have to strip down again, just pull the hub all the way out again and you maintain your alignement.

:)

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#7 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:42 PM

You don't need to do an alignment if you mark where it was... i always did that saves on alignment costs even if you replace it it will sit in the exact same spot as before... yes that is what it is called a lock plate... but it centres the bolts and therefor the position of the balljoint

Only really works if the rear hole in the middle is not open... as i have seen some aftermarket ones that weren't like that... all open holes (slots )

#8 NooNoo

NooNoo

NooNoo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9357 posts
  • Leicester
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AGU 150PS

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

I used to spray around the underside but it really is easier just to yank the hub out all the way. Then there is no doubt.

:Y:

Golf 1.8T AGU | 232Bhp | Rtech | k03s | Blueflame turbo-back exhaust | K & N panel | SFS / Forge hoses | TurboRevs SMIC | VR6 Clutch | SMF | Saikou Michi catch can | Bilstein B14s | S3 upper & lower braces | Eibach 25mm ARBs | All SuperPro bushes | 312mm/256mm brakes | 18" BBS RCs | Rline rear | R32 front | Hoefle skirts | OEM Xenons | Retrofit heated seats | One touch demister | W8 Interior light | Sunroof | TT Hubs | TT wishbones | TT quick rack |

#9 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10711 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:51 PM

It literally serves no purpose other than allowing quick alignment/being able to throw the bolts in at the factory.  Also the third one is awkward to get a spanner into and when the plate is used you can just tighten one bolt and don't have to use a spanner.

Don't listen to the above advice, it centres nothing.  When you do it, mark it or just tug the hub as far out towards you as it can go.  Alignment isn't needed IMO, there's not really enough play to cause mentally uneven tyre wear.  Do alignment if you're anal.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#10 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:15 PM

It literally serves no purpose other than allowing quick alignment/being able to throw the bolts in at the factory. Also the third one is awkward to get a spanner into and when the plate is used you can just tighten one bolt and don't have to use a spanner.

Don't listen to the above advice, it centres nothing. When you do it, mark it or just tug the hub as far out towards you as it can go. Alignment isn't needed IMO, there's not really enough play to cause mentally uneven tyre wear. Do alignment if you're anal.

Yea you can pull them all the way out if you want and not use a plate but bolts and than still have your wheel on at a wrong angle been there done that... the plate helps you to align the bolts period... if you think it doesn't try and take the lock plate off and put one bolt in than push the other a bit to the back... now try and put the rear one in... o wait it doesn't go in? Yeah because it centres the lot ...

Just don't give shoot advice because you think shoot doesn't work adam-

#11 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50092 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:18 PM

Your post has been moved.Always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section,they really are very easy to find.

#12 adam-

adam-

VR6 GT35 4mo

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10711 posts
  • Glasgow
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:40 PM

Yea you can pull them all the way out if you want and not use a plate but bolts and than still have your wheel on at a wrong angle been there done that... the plate helps you to align the bolts period... if you think it doesn't try and take the lock plate off and put one bolt in than push the other a bit to the back... now try and put the rear one in... o wait it doesn't go in? Yeah because it centres the lot ...

If you're trying to cock the hub left or right while you're installing it, you shouldn't be working on cars.  But meh, it should also go for an alignment so it's not your problem.

Me, I'll pull the whole thing straight into me and call it quits.  But I also, genuinely, not making this up, got my tracking within <1.0* and camber on both sides identical at -5.5* without any aids other than my eye.  Maybe I'm not a moron, or maybe I have a good eyesight.

facebook.com/adamforbes92, ig:@adam_g4fku, Adam's Anthracite Grey 1.8t Build Thread...

Best way to lose weight is not drinking mayonnaise/cheese/beer everyday.

#13 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:50 PM

If you're trying to cock the hub left or right while you're installing it, you shouldn't be working on cars. But meh, it should also go for an alignment so it's not your problem.

Me, I'll pull the whole thing straight into me and call it quits. But I also, genuinely, not making this up, got my tracking within <1.0* and camber on both sides identical at -5.5* without any aids other than my eye. Maybe I'm not a moron, or maybe I have a good eyesight.

Not trying did it before to proof a point to someone just like you... the thing is designed like that to make sure it goes on straight... they could've done a better job at it but they didn't... i would've designed that lock plate a lot thicker and made from extra hardened steel.... but those things are buttery soft... and i actually made them myself for my mk3 vr6... from a 7mm thick steel plate.

And my vr6 never needed alignment as I made the plate so that it didn't leave room for messing up

#14 Bhavick

Bhavick

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:02 AM

Am not really sure what guys are talking about in regards to alignment but i replaced the lockplate on my wishbone yesterday and bolted everything back together and the cars driving fine, i hope I've not done anything wrong  :unsure:

#15 northpole

northpole

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

Am not really sure what guys are talking about in regards to alignment but i replaced the lockplate on my wishbone yesterday and bolted everything back together and the cars driving fine, i hope I've not done anything wrong :unsure:

We are saying if you had the complete wishbone off and you replaced it... you should have the tracking checked... see if the car runs straight when you let go of the steeringwheel... that check and any adjusting done to make it go in a straight line is called alignment...

but if you pulled it all the way out before tightening it back up  9 out of 10 times it sits straight..  

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.