Has anyone changed a timing chain themselves? - Engine, Tuning and Performance - uk-mkivs

Photo

Has anyone changed a timing chain themselves?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ochickey

ochickey

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:58 PM

As the title says, just wondering if this is really a DIYable job? Got a V5 golf that needs new chains. Also any advice about where to buy the parts?

thanks!

#2 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:12 PM

Well if you need to ask if that is possible, than you shouldn't be even thinking about it... it involves removing the gearbox, subframe and a lot of other stuff... to be able to get to the chains in the first place...

For me it's not a problem but it definitely isn't a beginners job.

And the best place to get the parts needed is at the dealers parts counter or TPS.

#3 ochickey

ochickey

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:25 PM

okay thanks. how long did it take you?

#4 northpole

northpole

More than a fleeting interest

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9766 posts
  • Suffolk

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:39 PM

First time it took me 2 days... because I triple checked everything... now I do it in one go takes me about a day if I work alone with handtools, in a garage with power- and airtools it takes me 4 hours.

But that is because I know exactly where everything goes. How to set the timing and what needs to come off, and what is best to replace whilst you are doing that job....

#5 Imagewerx

Imagewerx

I'm not the 'droid you're looking for.

• Moderators
  • 50092 posts
  • Crawley,West Sussexcestershire
  • Bus Stop Backwards Roof Fire -190PS

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:45 PM

Your post has been moved.Always ask technical questions in the relevant technical section.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.